Camping in Wales

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Dosa

Camping in Wales

Post by Dosa »

Hello all, I am planning a quick run to mid Wales and would like to know if anybody knows or has info on a decent camp site, that is not going to be full of kids and be "family friendly" any info greatly appreciated.
Agent Orange

Re: Camping in Wales

Post by Agent Orange »

Rhayader has a good one. Lots of pubs and a curry house in short walking distance.
Bike. Car. Van. Pushbike. Lorry ?????
In the middle of biking paradise tooo.
Wyeside campsite
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Pen Y Bont at Bala is used by bikers quite a bit. Its a 10 minute walk into town for food and drink.
There are kids but they are coralled in a big pen at one end for people who go into shock at the sight and sound of them.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

What's wrong with 'Family Friendly Sites'? I once camped in Wales on one such site. My tent made the perfect backstop to a set of goalposts without a net, no problem refilling the kettle every time it got knocked over, and to fall into a deep sleep listening to the soothing sound of crying babies. Didn't rain thankfully. Grateful for small mercies. Go and enjoy the ABRs of tomorrow.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Stayed at the one at Devils Bridge a couple years back.
Very nice and clean, great shower block, pub and hotel close by, biker friendl. Didn't see many kids running around bu that would depend on the school holidays I expect.

the only thing I did find that was a bit of an issue was the sheep, part of the camping field is right next door to a field full of ewes and their lambs (time of year) the little buggers were bleeting all bloody night :(
benp1992

Post by benp1992 »

Priory mill farm campsite just outside Brecon is really nice. No family's when we were there. Next to a river,fires allowed, chickens around if you fancy eggs. Costs about £8 a night and 50p for a 4 min shower

http://www.priorymillfarm.co.uk/
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

On the side of the Cwmystwyth road coming down from the Elan Valley towards Aberystwyth. Nothing there apart from a river, cracking views and in the middle of biking heaven. Log fires and starry skies (thumbs)
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

I'll second Priory Farm, Lovely spot beside a stream, they welcome Bikes as long as it's not a crowd and I found a welcome absence of Chav/pikey families the 2 times I've been there
quite an idyllic spot
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Another thumbs up for the campsite mentioned by Zimtim above.

Another one we stayed at last year was at Llyn Gwynant lake on the A498 - lovely location & covered a big area - so you should be able to find a nice quiet spot. (thumbs)
dragonwheels

Post by dragonwheels »

The Ancient Briton. Abercrave - we have held Taffy Dakar there for the past 5 years, great facilities, real ales and food..
"Never trust a man who tells you he never feels the need to get drunk, he's either lying , or not paying attention"

Return to “TRAVEL”