Scotland on a small bike

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Trev

Scotland on a small bike

Post by Trev »

Just back from a week in Scotland with my lad on his CBF125. Took the Enfiled as my weapon of choice as we knew we wouldn't be able to cover big miles.
Vanned up Sunday to Killin, couple of days taking in Alberfeldy, Bridge of Balgie, etc then back in the van up to Shieldaig to ride Applecross and Skye and then van again to Durness for a couple of nights before loading up for the 750 mile trip home. About 1600 miles in the van, nearly 400 on the bikes, decent weather (even some sun), nearly empty roads and fantastic time, on and off the bikes, with my Son. Hats off to him, the CBF wasn't best suited to the hills and winds, I was shocked when we switched bikes for a stint at just how much the little CBF moved around in the high'ish winds and just how much time I had to spend on it with throttle against the stop, pretty much 100%. Surprisingly few bikes around, we only saw about a dozen over the whole six days we were there, not 'the season' yet I suppose? For sure there were no other L plate clad bikes on Applecross the day we went :P
Here's a couple of pics
DSC_0082.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG (50.62 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
DSC_0097.JPG
DSC_0097.JPG (33.64 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
DSC_0103.JPG
DSC_0103.JPG (42.66 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
-Ralph-

Re: Scotland on a small bike

Post by -Ralph- »

I remember you planning this. Glad you had a good time.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Looks fantastic thanks for sharing. I'm planning on NC500 in June so always looking for suggestions for stop offs and things to do!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
James_Death

Post by James_Death »

good on you both, rained near constanrly when i was up there.

I always remember going far and wide on my little tzr125 back in the day.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Good you both enjoyed the trip but it sounds like its time he had an upgrade (thumbs)
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

We went this time last year and the temperature never went above 3 degrees for the whole time. Plus we had some horrific mini blizzards and when we spent the night near Aviemore it was snowing so hard when we got up the following morning we thought we may get stuck.
Glad you had good weather and a good time.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Andi_Archer wrote:Good you both enjoyed the trip but it sounds like its time he had an upgrade (thumbs)
Dunno what age he is but he's stuck on a 125 until he is 19 even if he passes a test. Most kids now are just staying on L plates until they can do the A2. Passing the test gives you ability to carry a pillion and go on a motorway, neither of which are that desirable on a 125.

Well done those politicians who decided to discourage kids from getting trained and taking a test, riding around for 3 years with only a CBT.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Trev

Post by Trev »

V-Rider wrote:Looks fantastic thanks for sharing. I'm planning on NC500 in June so always looking for suggestions for stop offs and things to do!
A couple of bits of advice, feel free to take or ignore:

It will obviously be busier in June so you may need to book ahead if staying hotel/B&B particularly if travelling in a group. Apart from first night we didn't bother when we went as makes it a lot more flexible

Unless you're desperate to get the NC500 badge then use it as a base route but take time to venture 'off piste' particularly when looking for accommodation. There are some great roads just off the beaten track

When right oop North, although wild camping is allowed, finding suitable spots away from recognised sites isn't easy so don't dismiss the first one you see cos it's less than perfect, you may well end up going back to it after several more miles of fruitless searching

Sheildaig is a lovely spot with a lovely little (bit pricey) hotel, a few B&B's, a decent coffee shop and cracking little bar/restaurant. Ideal base for an early start to Applecross.

Ferry Boat Inn Ullapool has music a couple of nights week, decent food and is a proper old school pub

The Gille Brighde Restaurant Diabaig (left off A896 near Torridon, just out side Shieldaig) is a quirky little place and the road to it is something else, dead end though so have to retrace your route but worth it

A838 Laxford Bridge to Lairg is one of the quietest 'main' roads I've ever been on, 37 miles and counted 17 cars coming the other way and even fewer houses, not exactly sportsbike territory though :whistle:

Bring a coat! :P
Trev

Post by Trev »

-Ralph- wrote:
Andi_Archer wrote:Good you both enjoyed the trip but it sounds like its time he had an upgrade (thumbs)
Dunno what age he is but he's stuck on a 125 until he is 19 even if he passes a test. Most kids now are just staying on L plates until they can do the A2. Passing the test gives you ability to carry a pillion and go on a motorway, neither of which are that desirable on a 125.

Well done those politicians who decided to discourage kids from getting trained and taking a test, riding around for 3 years with only a CBT.
Thanks Ralph, he's 20 coming up 21 but only just got the biking bug after a few months in Asia last year riding whatever he could get his hands on. He's at Uni for another couple of years but then wants to travel and figures a bike is his best bet. He aims to get his A2 sorted this Summer and borrow one of my bikes (I have a few that are A2 compliant although not all his cup of tea!) to gain more experience. At the moment he's not bothered about going past A2 as funds, insurance and what he wants to do on the bike don't make sense for that but depends what licence he will need to travel abroad in the future.
Applecross and Northern Highlands a good start to his biking career, a darn sight safer than the one I had :whistle:
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

Nowt better than riding with your Son, I did it a few years ago now in 2012 and it was the best feeling.
He was on a Varadero 125 and we had arguments as I wanted to carry all the gear (Tiger 955i)
His bike carried more than mine and never missed a beat.

He now owns a 2011 Tiger 800 but those memories will never be deleted.

BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..

Return to “TRAVEL”