North Irish Coast.....ideas please!

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveW

North Irish Coast.....ideas please!

Post by SteveW »

This is roughly a route five of us doing 2-6th June.
It's fallen upon me to sort the route out.

IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG (40.91 KiB) Viewed 2467 times

We're taking the Cairnryan- Larne ferry outward, returning Dublin - Holyhead.
I've only visited the North Coast once, 20-odd years ago so I'm particularly interested in any input regarding things to see and stay (not packing tents)
I know my way a bit once we're in Mayo down to Galway, but any tips about places to stay or visit would be greatfully received.
650ginge

Re: North Irish Coast.....ideas please!

Post by 650ginge »

Skipping the Donegal coast????

Skipping the North Mayo coast???

Then going along the Galway coast.....you really need some advice assuming you want the most scenic and quietest roads in Ireland.

Galway coast is nice, but you going to miss the Ballycastle Sea Stack, the road between it and Belmullet, you are missing Achill island????

In Donegal no horn pennisula, the rosses or slieve league. What is the big rush to get to Galway if its drink I think you will find it pretty much in all areas......

Then motorway all the way to Dublin.....
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Lots of places to stop as you go up the North Antrim coast. You need to include the Torr Road between Cushendun & Ballycastle. Worth stopping at Ballycastle for a bite to eat down by the harbour. Continuing along the coast you have Ballintoy harbour, again a nice place to stop. Then you have the Giants Causeway & Bushmills Distillery. You could also take a short detour to Ballymoney and call in at Joey's Bar. Then back to the coast to Portrush where the NW 200 is held.

Other side of Coleraine you have Downhill strand - 7 mile long beach, another nice stop
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

As an aside (I'm very interested in this thread and stealing any suggestions! :whistle: ), what mapping software are you using? Brilliant! (thumbs)
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Where you join the coast start following the Wild Atlantic Way. When it ends follow it straight onto the Cuaseway Coastal Route it will take you straight into Larne also.

You won't be sorry.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

650ginge wrote:Skipping the Donegal coast????

Skipping the North Mayo coast???

Then going along the Galway coast.....you really need some advice assuming you want the most scenic and quietest roads in Ireland.

Galway coast is nice, but you going to miss the Ballycastle Sea Stack, the road between it and Belmullet, you are missing Achill island????

In Donegal no horn pennisula, the rosses or slieve league. What is the big rush to get to Galway if its drink I think you will find it pretty much in all areas......

Then motorway all the way to Dublin.....
I did say it was a rough route!
My parents lived in Charlestown Co.Mayo many years ago, so I'm familiar with Clew Bay, Westport etc.....where we used to visit.
North of Newport is unknown territory to me, I did a trip to The Giants Causeway in 1992, so because of this and my Irish connections I'm deemed trip leader!
Thanks TomBoy and Flintlock.....good pointers!
V-rider.....I'm an electronic navigation dunce! It'll be paper maps for the over-view, a list of places on paper, visible through the clear plastic window of my tankbag, then inputting individually each new destination into the sat nav.
But I never slavishly follow a sat nav anyway.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I would give a thought to going over Holyhead to Dublin and then go north. You are missing he Mournes, go North on M1 as far as Newry and leave motorway for the A2, takes you around the coast up to Belfast and around to Larne where you can pick up your route. As said, Torr Head is unmissable, Ballycastle for ice cream on the harbour sea front and not too far is Dark Hedges and Bushmills distillery.

For Mayo go west from Westport to Louisburgh then to Leenane and Clifden but coming to Clifden take the Sky Road.

Don't forget Achill before you get to Westport........

As for Joey's Bar...stand at the door and you will see a Ducati dealership across the road....

But weather is weather and rain is rain and I am a well seasoned biker and camper and have travelled these roads over many years. For well seasoned read occasionally soaked and cold. So why not a thought to a plan B.....check weather before you leave and if the weather is bad in your chosen area no point in spending it in bad if its good down south west. So have a plan B for going south west. Equally if the west coast is all bad then there's plan C.....stay up North East, there is an undiscovered world in the Mournes, Strangford, Antrim and you will not be disappointed. Newcastle on a Sunday morning is a good place for breakfast.....

Wherever you go you will find the guys are friendly and welcoming. Can't say more than that really.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

You'd have to do a lap of the NW200 triangle seeing as youre up that way,when we were there we visited Joey Dunlops Memorial Garden in Ballymoney,worth a visit to get your picture taken next to Joey on his Honda SP2,fantastic statue.

(thumbs)
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Far nicer routes up to the ferry than the M6 ...

:)
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Far nicer routes up to the ferry than the M6 ...

Captureroute.JPG
Captureroute.JPG (34.71 KiB) Viewed 2467 times

:)

Return to “TRAVEL”