Europe in September?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
ciderdrinker

Europe in September?

Post by ciderdrinker »

Hi. Was planning to have a couple of weeks in Europe on the bike this July/August with the missus. Ferry to Amsterdam then a leisurely 2 weeks down to the Black Forest and the high passes in the Alps.
She's changed her mind and now wants to go the first 2 weeks in September. What will the weather be like in the Alps that time of year? I'm hoping it'll still be warm(ish) and hopefully not a lot of rain.
Bloody women.

Thanks!!
Spike941

Re: Europe in September?

Post by Spike941 »

Most of my trips out that way have been in September, weather's still excellent and without all the holiday traffic. Best time to go in my opinion.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Good time to go and it's when me and my wife hope to get away to the same areas.
I've done the high passes in the Alps in late September and it was hot, like T shirt weather at the Rhone glacier so better than getting late snows in May.

Steve
spasm

Post by spasm »

me and a mate do most of europe over 4 weeks, last 3 years, 13-14 countries but different routes, we normally leave mid august, this year the ferries booked to spain for the 22nd august, we never book a ferry back as we never know how long we'll be away. but i have found the weather, boiling hot, wet, cold on high passes, pissing rain for 5 miles then mental sunshine. you will love it. tell her not to bother taking her hair straighteners :P
i only need one wheel .......... the rear
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Its when we go. Weather is good and everywhere isn't packed with school holiday tourists.
coyotedave

Post by coyotedave »

Always go in September, no kids and family's.
Weather is quite stable that time of year, 38deg last year in Dresden.

I've been up some of the Austrian Alps in July and it has snowed above 1700 feet.

I'll be in the Hartz first week in September this year.

Cheers Dave.
Ali in Austria

Post by Ali in Austria »

One of my favourite months here. High Season Traffic has gone, everything still open, weather on the whole very good.

We can get a good dump of snow though, even at lower altitudes. Usually it will only cause inconvenience for less than 24 hrs. It doesn't hang around as the ground, particularly the roads are too warm. But it is a risk. If it happens just hunker down for the duration. The sun will be back out shortly (thumbs)
hornet

Post by hornet »

We headed down to Verdon gorges in second week of September last year some days 30 degrees some high teens apart from the passes where we did see snow and stopped looking at thermometer. Camping in the gorges temperatures overnight did get as low as 7 so worth noting if your camping

Happy travels

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
ledwardio

Post by ledwardio »

I was in the Alps early last September and the weather was pretty good. There was some heavy rain but it pretty much worked its way right through the whole of Europe so there would have been no escape anywhere bar Spain.

Be aware some hotels do close straight after the Summer season. I was booking hotels day-by-day online and did get slightly caught out in Austria when I arrived to a completely dark hotel (Alpenhotel Saalbach), but there was a note for me to call a number and a nice lady came and opened the hotel for me, she said that they had closed the week before but Expedia had accidentally taken my booking. She even came back in the morning to make me breakfast. It was a bit disconcerting being the only person in a massive hotel, but I had a great nights sleep and no ghostly visitors. Unfortunately the bar was all locked up :ohmy:
RandG

Post by RandG »

I was staggered how quiet the Pyrenees were in September last year, felt I was the only one about for days, it was fantabulous (thumbs)

Return to “TRAVEL”