Bilbao to ?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Helicoptermanr22

Bilbao to ?

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Hi All, So booked ferry late April this year from Plymouth Bilbao for a weeks off roading and few nights camping out.

Only prob is as its so vast and only a week, I just cannot work a route out or where to aim for.

Surely this mini adventure has to be the most common one so where would you head from the Ferry?

Gravel tracks ideally.

Stick to the Southern Pyrenees towards Andorra?
Too much Snow on the High Grounds?

Or head South Via Belchite as looks interesting?

Help?? :dry:
Tramp

Re: Bilbao to ?

Post by Tramp »

April you say eh...better take a snow shovel or stick to portugal...it aint the best time to venture into them pyrnees hills even low down it may be wet ....

Have a good trip plenty of nice roads without going off piste....picos if its dry is amazing as is.west to Galicia...

Im.out in early june lol
djskinner

Post by djskinner »

This post made me add Belchite to the itinerary for my planned outing to Spain in September:

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -ride.html

Looks pretty good.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Only minutes off the Santander boat, bike still clean on the way to the HISS a couple of years ago nice or what? Bay of Biscay in the Background of the first.
IMAG0373.jpg
IMAG0373.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 1455 times

IMAG0372_2017-02-21.jpg
IMAG0372_2017-02-21.jpg (49 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Helicoptermanr22

Looks great, those are the Tracks we like. so lets say head south for warmer climes away from the Pyrenees which are the places we should head for via the Mountains etc? Portugal direction?
I have one week ticket away from the Mrs :)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

How about the Bardenas 'desert' ? Head for the town of Tudela, about 140 miles from Bilbao (thumbs)
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Why not ride through the picos by road to Braganca in northern portugal then do a bit of the trans portugal trails route...its on wikiloc...runs very close to the portugal spain border then after a few days blast back to ferry, portugal in early sping is excellent and the trails are big bike safe.?..

Lots of info on the web..look for adv ride report wipeyourownass....also a report on gser lol...some nice hotels along the route..
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Helicoptermanr22 wrote:Looks great, those are the Tracks we like. so lets say head south for warmer climes away from the Pyrenees which are the places we should head for via the Mountains etc? Portugal direction?
I have one week ticket away from the Mrs :)
You'd have to a long, long way south to have any 'warmer' clime than the Pyrenees. I'd recommend you aim for the Aragon HISS areas where the camping at Albarracín is open all year, but it will actually be colder than the Pyrenees!

The Bardena Blanca - there are two, hence the plural, and the other one, the 'Negra' isn't a desert, far from it! - is only a few hours ride through, even allowing for drop dead photography, so it's a good route to the eastern end of the Pyrenees, where it is at least fairly likely to be dry.

There are plenty of trails, IMHO the best riding, well away form the snow zone in an area called the pre-Pyrenees, where the average height is about 1,600 metres - the snow line is at 2,000 metres, well above this in April unless there's a fresh fall. As I write the snow is melting fast ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Helicoptermanr22

Fantastic responses, thank you so mucking fuch!! Simon sounds like your right in it. ,Aragon HISS areas and The Pre Pyrenees looks really good, need to try and link up these amazing rides .
djskinner

Post by djskinner »

Yeah thanks for all the info, some great ideas I'll be incorporating into my own Spanish trip in September.

Return to “TRAVEL”