North Coast 500

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Brads

Re: North Coast 500

Post by Brads »

Me and my son are taking my 2 grandsons around it in July.

2 bikes, wild camping and the kids have to swim in the sea at every stop :)
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
skinny

Post by skinny »

Good bonding, I can't wait until my grandson is old enough (7 at the moment) he's been on the GAS and absolutely loved it, he leans over in the car making out he's on a bike
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

If anyone can give me some advice on a route up to Inverness, I hear the A9 can be a right pain especially mid July so any alternate routes would be most welcome.

I will likely be on something low powered so lines of coaches will be a struggle :(

Appreciated
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
RandG

Post by RandG »

Leave the A9 at Perth and take the A93 to Crathie, where the Queen goes to church, then take the B976/A939 to Granton on Spey, you won't be disappointed (thumbs)
James_Death

Post by James_Death »

Great stuff keep them coming, all info appreciated.
Im going up by my god in March would like to wild camp possibly woods i could stop in would be nice to try out the cheap hammock my good lady got me.

Then in July myself and good lady will be going up once she gets to me from the isles of Scilly.

This time we will be taking the old dave cooper trailer once i update the suspension to carry my BMW R1100R and the wife's Old GN250 that she hasn't even ridden yet.

So any pointers for anywhere to stay first night that i could possibly leave the trailer and car at while we start the route the next day.

Hope this thread runs and runs and as folk do it then some posts of how you found it where you went etc etc I'm sure would make this an invaluable resource, but lets try and keep it between us though.

Don't want everyone clogging it all up....
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

RandG wrote:Leave the A9 at Perth and take the A93 to Crathie, where the Queen goes to church, then take the B976/A939 to Granton on Spey, you won't be disappointed (thumbs)
From Grantown on Spey continue on the A939 towards Nairn but turn of 2 miles before Nairn to Cawdor and follow the "Highland Tourist Route" signs to Inverness. (thumbs)
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

P4ulie wrote:If anyone can give me some advice on a route up to Inverness, I hear the A9 can be a right pain especially mid July so any alternate routes would be most welcome.
Almost any road apart from the A9 between Dunblane and Inverness and the A90 will be good.

A93 up through Glenshee is grand, then onto the A939 via Cock Bridge to Tomintoul, A95 for a few miles past Grantown-on-Spey then the A938 at Dulnain Bridge. A9 for a few miles until just past the Schlod summit and before the Findhorn viaduct / Tomatin Distillery take a side road off to the left which then follows the River Findhorn for a few miles through Corrievorrie then take another right over the hills towards Farr bridge. Lonely little road which would be more than entertaining if it was snowing / blowing a hooley, but some great views of the Great Glen in the distance, then head towards Inverness. The route off is not a time saving one, and remember around Moy on the A9 there are some rear facing average speed cameras ;)
Norrie77

Post by Norrie77 »

FWIW

clockwise would be my preferred direction of travel as the views open out before you as you travel North,
I would also head for the West coast Fort William A82 Glen, Shiel A87, A890 to Strathcarron you could then go over the Bealach Na Ba to Applecross ( nice campsite/huts) or turn right at Strathcarron towards Achnasheen and follow the A832 to Dundonell and on to the Corrieshalloch Gorge and then onto Ullapool and follow the NW500 round to Inverness and as has been suggested head for Nairn and pick up the A939 Grantown on Spey, Tomintoul to join the A93 South.

What ever you choose to do Enjoy
0 - 60 in as long as it takes
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Flintlock wrote:The bay just north of Applecross is a nice spot
is that the bay near the mod type building, if it is we wild camp there a lot

steve
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Some fantastic info on here. I'm looking at doing the route around 2/3rd of june riding up from near Bristol. I'm looking for a riding buddy or two around this date so give me a shout if you're in the area around that date! Will look to do a mix of camping / B&B's.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Return to “TRAVEL”