North Coast 500

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
gooseneck

Re: North Coast 500

Post by gooseneck »

Some good advice in the posts above,, Avon skin soft is not what it used to be in this country, head nets are cheap, fold up to nothing, and worthwhile.
Try camping in more exposed areas, the midges don't come out if there is a good breeze.
Some of the roads are suited to a better driving etiquette than you are likely to encounter from coaches vans, and cars.
The west and north west are stunning, and in my opinion far the best of the trip.
Fuel and sustenance are plentiful,you will lose mobile signal for stretches, so know your route, I took a few builders rubble sacks to load my soft luggage while in the tent when it was wet out.and kept the tent outer sheet in a separate bag...they last a good while and can take a good shake out to dry them off a bit.
Watch out for the tins of haggis, they are made from 'lambs lobes',and are an involuntary aphrodisiac...not so good if your camping with your mate, I was on my own so it was not quite such a problem...
SilverSurferToo

Post by SilverSurferToo »

Good points made on driving etiquette... think tall and wide and pretend you are on a BMW GSA even if on a scooter and you'll get along better. The locals are pretty good but getting fed up being held up by touring camper vans who don't understand they should let faster traffic from behind pass them by.

There are a lot more performance car drivers and wannabe performance car drivers on those roads. That can be ... interesting.

Finally, look out for those from overseas who have hired camper vans or brought theirs over. The latter are usually easier to spot from afar but they do forget which way to look before pulling out. You can trust me on that one. While your speeds are lower and there is more to look at generally be aware that you are further away from intensive care than in other parts of the UK.

Sorry, that all sounds very pessimistic. I'd go again tomorrow if I could. That better?
skinny

Post by skinny »

Shout me if up on the 2nd June onwards, I/we are in no rush just want to make the most of it, not been past Edinburgh before, but looking forward to it
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

skinny wrote:Shout me if up on the 2nd June onwards, I/we are in no rush just want to make the most of it, not been past Edinburgh before, but looking forward to it
I'm very much the same. Looking at taking my time exploring. I've got two weeks off as of the 2nd so I'm flexible.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
skinny

Post by skinny »

Versys, tag you closer to the date, nothing like a chat and a beer with someone else who is lost!!!
tuggy

Post by tuggy »

Did the NC500 in Sept & doing it again in May.

I'd go anti-clockwise. The east coast up to John O'Groates is fairly featureless so it's good to get it out of the way & then stay in Thurso. We're going up through Lairg this time & staying in Tongue.
Sidecarwilly

Post by Sidecarwilly »

Lairg - try The Pier cafe - great menu and well priced too. Nice to sit outside on a sunny day overlooks Loch Shin.

I am based in lairg. Very handy for day runs in sections of NC500
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

My preferred route for heading north is the tourist route from Dingwall-Bonar Bridge-Lairg-Tongue. (thumbs)
skinny

Post by skinny »

Right, dates set, leave Herts on the 1st June, 1 night in alnwick, into Inverness on Friday the 2nd of June, been looking at sun-art etc, but keep the tips coming, some useful information. Thanks guys. V-rider look out for white 1150gs adv and a KTM 990s, both sporting ABR stickers and too much gear! Anyone else up at that time? Thanks again. Skinny.
James_Death

Post by James_Death »

will have to look up all these recommends, I'm doing a trials day tomorrow in mud and rain it seams in leek... apt name.

then on the 28th of this month I'm heading up to do the north coast, no idea where ill stop... then fingers crossed its mid July i think when ill be up again and this time my good lady will be on her gn250 that she hasn't even ridden yet....fun fun fun...

Return to “TRAVEL”