Greece Ancient Momument tour.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Brenhden

Re: Greece Ancient Momument tour.

Post by Brenhden »

03/04/17 Hours riding 8, dogs in road 10

Woke early, realised my riding top was now humming and quickly washed it. I wandered the town looking for breakfast, found a local café where old men were smoking and had some fruit and yogurt with horrible tea.

This sort of big sea side town is wasted on me so I didn’t feel I’d missed anything even though it had its own massive castle. I rolled out for the short trip to Epidavros and when I arrived 30 minutes later it was already filling up with hoards of school kids so I quickly changed and went into the site. It’s another town sized place in a pretty wooded setting with a museum, temples, a running track and the best ancient theatre I’ve seen, the acoustics were excellent and I really enjoyed hearing French kids in the centre pretending to be thespians.

After that I watched masons in an open air workshop; fitting new marble sections to ancient column fragments using old fashioned tools and air chisels.

It was great to see. Back to the bike and I decided to visit the big castle I’d ridden under the day before. It was called Larrisa and there was very little info for it on the web. I managed to find the entrance by circling the hill it was on and worked my way up the track to it.

Once I got to it was surprised to see the gates were open and you could help yourself, if I’d had the DR I could ridden right in! It was a bit like Chepstow but looked like it was halfway through being fixed up and then it had been abandoned some time ago. There were no staff or facilities and there were still bags of sand left by the builders. I climbed up the walls and battlements (which were a heath and safety nightmare) and got some good photos of the bay, all around you could see Castles, ancient settlements, monasteries and towns, amazing.

I stopped for a picnic of crisps and biscuits and them headed off for the next stop of Mycinae.
A little road work late and I arrived at one of the few places you can get a photo of the bike and the site.

This place was a bit different to the others. More like Egyptian of South American history with big, big stoneworks all on the side of one hill. The biggest thing was Agamemnon’s Palace at the top of the hill.

I walked all over and even climbed down the 100 deep, slippery, pitch black steps of the ‘secret’ cistern. Job done I stuck out for Corinth to find another seaside town for the night. The roads there were unremarkable and I was getting a bit tired of riding. By the time I arrived I wasn’t in the mood and the the seaside town I was aiming at turned to not to be the one in the lonely planet which was on another island but had the same name. I had a bit of a think and decided that I could push on to Athens and then spend the next day exploring the city and not riding anywhere. The next three hours were a mix of riding flat out (130KPH) on the toll road, freezing without a windscreen and eating a burger in the services. I arrived back in the cite and what a difference four days makes. I was cutting around the traffic just like a local and now I understood the driving style felt much better about it. That said I still didn’t know where I was going and rode right round the Acropolis before getting my bearings. I left the bike at Motorent, waved goodbye to that super little engine and booked back into the same hotel as before.
That night I explored some hipster beer bars and sat writing my journal like feeling like Jack Kerouac. My new found habit of just ordering what I can see other people eating led to me having a plate of roasted cheese with a side of fried cheese and I staggered home full of beer and very happy.

And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

04/04/17 Hours riding 0. Dogs in road 0.
I woke and had another slight hangover, had walnut cake and coffee for breakfast and headed out for the day carrying nothing for once and it felt brilliant. First stop was Motorent and they were perfectly happy with the bike so I set off for the Temple of Zeus. It is huge and very cool.

Next stop was the Acropolis museum which is a cool new building built over an ancient city (it must have been a nightmare to put up. I wandered around all the cool stuff and had a coffee at the top.

After that I set off for the Ancient Agora and passed a load more temples on the way (they are everywhere). En route I saw a sign about ancient ship building and wandered in and too my utter delight found a museum full of models of ships through the ages. It also had a big display on the Antikythera Mechanism, nerdgasm…

Next stop the Agora. I can’t believe I nearly didn’t bother. Along with the Temple of Apollo it was the best of the trip. It has a fully rebuilt ancient Stoa which is a covered market place (looks like a temple) with another brilliant museum inside.

The rest of the site is brilliant, with temples and stuff (more cisterns obviously), the best bit was you could climb on it and sit in it. We were treated to six fighter jets chasing round the city while I was there.

Gift shopping done and the best street food I've had in years and I was back to the room for the before a few cheeky wines in the evening.

I had very enlightening conversation for a café owner where he explained that wherever you dig in Athens you find ancient stuff and it makes it really difficult to develop the city. He showed me a new apartment block with a glass floor under the carpark and the front door. He told me the whole ground floor is glass so you can see the ruins underneath even though it was someone’s lounge. That must suck.

I spent the rest of the evening drinking and eating excellent Greek produce and ended the night sat looking up at the Parthenon thinking how lucky I was until a busker started belting Careless Whisper out of his Saxaphone right by me!

And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Final thoughts:

The roads: I don’t know what they make them out of but they have a lot less traction than ours in the UK. Lots of fallen rocks everywhere. Lots of dogs in the road. Very few cars.
The drivers: It took a while for me to get this but I think they were super observant. Most roads have one lane going each way and a hard shoulder. If someone approaches from behind the driver in front usually drifts into the hard shoulder so they can pass. It’s really courteous. Most people don’t drive as fast as the uk.

The people: They are mostly friendly, helpful, kind and indulgent. No one mentioned Brexit and only one person mentioned the Elgin Marbles.

Food and drink: All good, the local wine is nice and the beer is all easy to drink.
The classical sites: I visited 13 sites and almost all of them were half price entry. None offered leaflets, audio tours of giftshops. All of them had restoration works started but only two had workers, the rest looked abandoned. Pretty sad really.

The Bike and 2016 Suzuki Inazuma 250.
Pros: Parallel twin engine with a lovely wide power band and revved to 10500, good seat (no numb bum at all), good economy, easy to read instruments. Power was fine for Greece.
Cons: Too easy to lock the wheels on breaking (tyre/road combination), no wind protection, I prefer to sit up. Would need more power in the UK.

Things I took that were super useful: Lonely Planet as it had walking tours of all the major sites. Alpinestar GTX boots were perfect for the job, Anker battery pack, Laikus Merino base layer, Freytag and Bernt 1:150,000 map of the Peleponnese (perfect for the job), phone holder.

Things I didn’t need/work: Satnav (broke), suncream kept rubbing off, thick socks.

Thing I should have taken: down jacket instead of fleece jumper, a vest for sleeping in as nowhere had any heating, my own damn helmet (stupid not to).

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

What a fantastic report!
Totally inspired.
Cheers (thumbs)
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Brilliant stuff Brenhden, sounds like a cracking trip. Totally agree about Freytag & berndt maps, I have one of Halkidiki and strangely enough one of the Britische Inseln :)
one-legged adventurer
micksea

Post by micksea »

the best trip report ive read for a while,thanks.im impressed by your willingness to throw yourself into any body of water that you come across,even the ones full of unknown wildlife :blink:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Many thanks guys, The water was cold but not as bad as Devon the other week!

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

That's 3 of my favorite Greek sites...
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

what a great idea to do a trip like this!...thanks for the inspiration!!
650ginge

Post by 650ginge »

Enjoyed that, thanks.

Return to “TRAVEL”