Medical Problems Abroad.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
daytona-supersport

Medical Problems Abroad.

Post by daytona-supersport »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36446652
I came across this article. Yep, I can vouch for this sort of behaviour by passers by, having been stepped over as I lay propped up against a roller door in some, backing hot, shit hole town. Exactly the same thing will often happen in many countries. Usually their idea of being picked up by an ambulance is to get chucked into the back of a van. Hospitals can be interesting, blood, shit and every kind of filth. If you are lucky there may even be a water tap that works. Need any medical assistance or nursing care, you had better have cash or an acceptable credit card to hand, a bit shit really if you are unconscious or in a bad way. I won't bore you with the rest of this tale, as you may appreciate I have the tee shirt.

BUT, why are bystanders so unwilling to get involved? Simple really, they want nothing to do with police, also why should they help, you're not family or friend so who gives a shit. They are often more likely to take advantage of the situation and rob your property. There are some lovely people wherever you go, but if travelling in many countries, don't expect the sort of medical assistance typical of northern Europe. Always have good medical insurance.
skipper

Re: Medical Problems Abroad.

Post by skipper »

welcome to the real world. I am amazed that this thread has had such little interest.Our cotton wool wrapped country leaves us oblivious to reality.So many times I listen to high profile motorcyclists urging us to travel through 3rd world countries and how lovely the inhabitants are etc etc.Go , enjoy ,we are all adrenaline seekers, but take the blinkers off, life can be cheap and be aware that if the sh-t hits the fan you can have life threatening problems. I for one would not be bored to hear your tale daytona-sp.
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

That wasn't my experience of India. I was involved in an accident in a remote area near the Tibet / Chinese border. People stopped to offer help and check everything was ok and a band of Nepalese labourers worked like Billy-o to drag a crashed bike up a river bank and onto a truck https://faroffplaces.net/2015/06/27/b-s ... the-river/

Maybe the article should be about how much of a sh*t hole Delhi is and how the people who live there just about survive by avoiding f*ckwits and scammers all day long, rather than reaching out to strangers. It's the worst city I've ever been to. If I never have to go back again I will be a very happy man.

Elsewhere on my travels, I ran out of petrol on the way out of Istanbul and a biker stopped within minutes, offered to get fuel for me - top fella. And when I crashed in Kars, half the town came out to help, put the bike in a wheel barrow and got me to my hotel (thumbs)

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

skipper wrote:welcome to the real world. I am amazed that this thread has had such little interest.Our cotton wool wrapped country leaves us oblivious to reality.So many times I listen to high profile motorcyclists urging us to travel through 3rd world countries and how lovely the inhabitants are etc etc.Go , enjoy ,we are all adrenaline seekers, but take the blinkers off, life can be cheap and be aware that if the sh-t hits the fan you can have life threatening problems. I for one would not be bored to hear your tale daytona-sp.
Maybe one day I'll write it down. To be honest unless you have experienced just how bad these things can be, you just would not really understand. Way beyond anything that most people would believe. I have been back working out in the far east as well as trips to a number of Asian countries. I've seen enough of the world shit holes, don't want to see any more.

Dehli is not so bad, although the main railway station is an open sewer. For another real shit hole, try Mumbai. Then again most Indian large towns and cities are no different. :laugh: :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, I have made some very good friends on my travels and had some good experiences, plus a few bad. The reason I retired early was as a result of picking up an E-coli infection in India. The only county where I have seen people shitting in the street. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/0 ... 10213.html
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

WP_20160709_17_10_26_Pro_2017-02-04.jpg
WP_20160709_17_10_26_Pro_2017-02-04.jpg (19.62 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Believe me you dont have to be in some third world country to receive bad medical care. This xray is my shoulder last July put together in St Omer by what my surgeon in N Ireland could only describe as far from ideal. As soon as i flew back home they had one look at the x ray put me in an ambulance and drove to to L/Derry where they operated the next morning to remove the French scaffolding which complicated my injury. If you look at the xray you will see one screw which has nothing to do with the fractures. In Altnagelvin hospital their only explanation was that the surgeon in France lost the screw so just left it in there. The surgeon here found it but with difficulty as it was moveing. I was told it was very dangerous. My shoulder is now a mess and ive an option of another big opp which will have me out of work for another year and will only provide pain relief and is unlikely to give me any more movement or live with the pain. When i was shown the 3d scan it was clear how my humerus was had been set at a
strange angle. In the words of my Orthapedic surgeon here "I wouldent normally criticise another persons work but that is a very poor job". I guess where ever you ride you take your chances if it all goes tits up. There are no guarentees.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Mac 60 wrote:
WP_20160709_17_10_26_Pro_2017-02-04.jpg
Believe me you dont have to be in some third world country to receive bad medical care. This xray is my shoulder last July put together in St Omer by what my surgeon in N Ireland could only describe as far from ideal. As soon as i flew back home they had one look at the x ray put me in an ambulance and drove to to L/Derry where they operated the next morning to remove the French scaffolding which complicated my injury. If you look at the xray you will see one screw which has nothing to do with the fractures. In Altnagelvin hospital their only explanation was that the surgeon in France lost the screw so just left it in there. The surgeon here found it but with difficulty as it was moveing. I was told it was very dangerous. My shoulder is now a mess and ive an option of another big opp which will have me out of work for another year and will only provide pain relief and is unlikely to give me any more movement or live with the pain. When i was shown the 3d scan it was clear how my humerus was had been set at a
strange angle. In the words of my Orthapedic surgeon here "I wouldent normally criticise another persons work but that is a very poor job". I guess where ever you ride you take your chances if it all goes tits up. There are no guarentees.

FFS!!!!!!

:)

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “TRAVEL”