Its a sell everything and ride day

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
minkyhead

Re: Its a sell everything and ride day

Post by minkyhead »

not for me ...im fairly well travelled ..and its nice to go and nice to come home
weirdly i like where i live and the country i live in ..and wouldnt like to be away too long

..slogging down a muddy track in botswana..or taking pictures of the taj mahal just isnt doing it for me ..cant help it im not interested

a full braaap off road tour of the balkans in nice hotels is more up my street (thumbs)

it isnt age thing ive never liked big trips away from home ..i aint cut out for world travel ..it just doesnt interest me at all

on the flip side if i wanted to go id go i really would theres nowt stopping me but meself ....

this is a question only you can answer and i wish you well B)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Been following this with intrest and i don't know if what i did qualifies B) like the topic say , basically go and don't look back.

I had a very successful business in the UK big shiny 4x4 and all but paid for house and the biggest fuck off TV money could buy !!!
BUT SEEMED TO BE ALL WORK AND NO PLAY :(

So sold all the shiny stuff gave the business away (in hine-sight sould have sold it) move over here earn enough to live on and play far more than ever both car and van are 15+ years old have over 320k kms but get us where we want to go.

Yes we have ties , house and all the bits that go with it but i do feel alive here and hell Africa so much nearer :woohoo:

I think we all have dreams , large and small , if i can add anything

What ever they are , go for it , you never know
robson

Post by robson »

selling almost everything is easy, but how to sell wife...
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

robson wrote:selling almost everything is easy, but how to sell wife...

No comment .... (thumbs)
robson

Post by robson »

Tramp wrote:

Why dont you just piss off...you contribute nothing but cause agroo....if i new where you lived id happily bury you...
oh, what a aggression. Your wife didn't give you ...today?

Anyway come here punk, we'll see what you got except small bishop.
hornet

Post by hornet »

And your point is what ?
Has it helped the thread ?
Was it funny ?

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
lmg

Post by lmg »

AlanHolt wrote:I've had a good life compared to many. I don't want for anything. But today, I woke up wanting to sell everything so I could head off around the world. I get these urges a couple of times a year. I did it when I was younger, just me and a backpack on a plane to the America's. I was too young to make the most of it and returned a few months later. Now I'm in a position where I have too much stuff I couldn't part with, stuff I couldn't leave behind or risk leaving in storage in case I never came back.

Has anyone done what I feel like doing, sell everything and head off with no plan or purpose, just you and your bike? Is this the start of my midlife crisis?
although i wont sell the house (the mrs is stopping in it), im doing most of the rest youve written. i spent last year selling most of my bike stuff (made about 20grand) and ive still got a couple of bikes and some other bits and pieces to sell which will add another 10grand to the pot. im getting my bike out to the USA in July and heading north to Alaska, then turning around and heading south through central and south america to ushuaia. once i get there, ill either fly myself and bike home or go to Magadan or Vladivostok and come home the long way. Im 47 this year and decided to quit work and just do it before i am too old or simply drop dead.

if you wont to meet up for a brew and chat about it, drop me a pm.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

hondated

Post by hondated »

Quick answer Alan yes. At 66 happily married with three gorgeous grandsons I too get those urges and have done for years. My urges also involve doing it on a push bike so I have it bad. If I am being honest the two things that have stopped me doing it is not having the bottle to do it and saving the money. I think the second is the hardest.
I have been to a few Horizons Unlimited meetings in recent years and that gives me an even greater urge to set off. In fact four years ago at an HU meeting I met a Dutch couple preparing to set off around the world and at last years HU meeting in Germany I met them again and they had just returned home having done it. It took them two years to save up the money though. At the same meeting I met another nice Dutch fella and he is setting off for Nepal in 2018. But again he is having to save hard to do it.
As if all that is not bad enough I recently found out that you can fly your bike out to Canada on a pallet which just involves disconnecting the battery and leaving a small amount of petrol in the tank for £2k.Ok not mega cheap but something if I got a paper round I could achieve. Type in Wildboys on YouTube and your see just where you can go for not too great amount of money.
That's it I am going to buy a Lottery ticket tomorrow so that will be one of my issues out of the way then. Anyway if we never do it where is the harm in dreaming.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Redmurty wrote:
AlanHolt wrote:It is the possessions that are the problem. Almost every week, I wish I still had to my name just the things I flew back from Canada with when i was younger, everything I had could be squeezed into a 50l backpack. Now I have generations of family memories and photos, thousands of pounds worth of tools, computers, bicycles, motorbikes, a car and a van, a tractor, 2 houses etc, etc. Its got to the point I don't like extended rides for fear of being robbed. The more you have, the tighter the shackles become.
simple answer, gis a van and a bike that will help you (thumbs) what is the point of all you have if it's making you unhappy?

Donate some to charity in the UK and Spain, put all the photo's ect in storage and go and find your freedom again, stop being a prisoner to all you own, it's owning you :pinch:

cheers Spud ;)

I have a friend who is ex special forces who suffers PTSD who lives in sheltered accommodation and literally has lost everything, yet he's a pretty squared away bloke. If you feel inclined to help someone I'm sure I could pass some details on
Red look after him mate a special bloke indeed
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

We sold everything including the house and went on the big trip back in 1991. We invested our equity when interest rates were high giving us an income of 550 pounds a month so we lived like kings in Africa. After a year or so we were keen to put down roots again. We bought this place in the Dordogne and we've been here ever since. Our kids were born here and are now off doing their own thing.

Our old house in Wokingham is now worth 600k, our house here which is much bigger with more than 500m2 of outbuilding/gites is probably worth 200k pounds, but who cares.

You can do it if you're young enough to start again or old enough not to give a f****.

Return to “TRAVEL”