EDC Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré: Moto travel/prep' tips that work for me.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
WIBO

Re: Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré: Moto travel/prepping tips that work for me.

Post by WIBO »

In the panniers I carry a basic first aid kit in a shallow quality lunch box. This box just fits nicely and stays at the bottom permanently.

There's normal every day stuff for nicks and cuts and to include a few tampons,a field dressing,stapler and a tourniquet for any bigger openings.

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Bum bag is fixed to rear of seat these last three years more or less.

It is used also with tools unique for my Gas GAS 300 so it's showing some wear after a good few years. I will soon be replacing it with the same 'Fox' one. Excellent bit of kit.

Upon opening up the main zip (which have two catches with a toggle to tie together so they don't wiggle open) I have obvious spares to include 3x short tyre levers. The flap has one of three flat alloy containers I carry with other pruk in them,along with a couple of rags.

The small zipped pouch has some stainless steel twist wire.

Star head/flat head screw driver
Pointy nose vice grips...one can use these on lever stumps,if still there,if existing and spare levers get broken. Also works on gear lever splines...at a push and last resort. I can almost hear the splines rounding off.

One alloy container has a spare regulator and a wheel bearing. Cut inner tube make strong elastic bands to keep it closed.

One little belt pouch contains Super Glue; This is especially handy if you have a holed or cut water hose. Dry off and fill hole/split with glue and wrap with layers of duct tape. Usually enough to limp somewhere.

Other small belt pocket contains emery paper and a couple of small strong bottles of brake fluid.

Front pouch contains a few other items.

Breaker bar with 32mm socket for front sprocket nut,in case of chain derail and jamming against engine and 22mm for rear axle nut. Half a roll of duct tape is wound around the bar :) Also doubles up as insulation tape.

Tampax boxes sometimes have small tin boxes as a promotion selling point stuck to them(the only benefit of having three females in my house):) These make ideal storage for various standard nuts,washers and bolts found around the moto. Tape the lid closed.

Acerbis make small screw topped spare spark plug containers.

Other alloy box has required sockets/spanners(short spanners with matching sockets)and to include air pressure gauge,valve key,front axle hex head and a punch the same diameter as brake pins...something not often thought of.

A set of long allen keys is included....ring spanners around them give more leverage if needed. Long keys are needed with the XT as certain hex heads live well tucked in out of sight as it were, e.g. fuel tank bolts.

Last box has the rest of the wheels bearings,spark plug spanner etc.

Narrow mint tin for fuses o rings and valve cores etc.

:)

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

I ride permanently with a Decathlon awning. For all the price of them I can afford it if it gets damaged either being used to work on my moto,if it"s a big problem,in the rain or under shade or for keeping an injured rider dry or shaded. Handy to have if camping in inclement weather as you can stand up under it to get changed and to prepare food in the dry.

Strapped on crossways also,stops it vibrating off over corrugations or sustained off roading. With one strap each end it will move.

My other pannier has a camping bed,chair and a wee alloy table for my cooker pruk.

Again,strapped as so will keep them there.

As before...rear rack is used only for water carrying.

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

In respect of bearings,as can be seen, this is the full set of ones for the XT. If I have lots of kms since my last bearing change,before a long ride out I'll bring bearings for all the room and weight they take up.

Before duct taping up the boxes I grease them.

A small screwdriver to flip the seal up....needs a bit of force..don't worry..it's only a wheel bearing.... be careful if you use a Stanley knife blade as the tip can break off and get lost in the bearing race.

So little grease from the factory

Seal pressed back on which pushes the grease through the bearing balls.

For the XT front wheel.....when drifting out wheel bearings....a long screwdriver to catch them to tap on won't work as the interior diameter is small and the distance from one side of the wheel to the bearing is long. I use any old bar,hammerered to make a burr on it. This lip will be enough to get a purchase on the bearing race for tapping out.

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

My left pannier has two baton round boxes inside,along with other pruk. Yes they're a bit heavy but work for me for what they carry and why I have them.

They fit just perfectly.

The bottom one stores my riding jacket/trousers liners,fleece, winter socks and winter gloves.

In summer I have this space free which allows me to either,depending where I'm riding,store my bumbag securely or carry water in there,thus saving me from having to unlash it from my rear rack every time time I need.

The top one is used as an 'overnight bag' as it were. Instead of carrying panniers from the parking into an hotel I put my GPS and gloves in my helmet before hooking my arm through it,which also enables me to carry my shoes.....then I lift out the 'overnight bag' and carry it with my other hand.

In this I have;
...shower gel and a tube of cold water clothes washing detergent along with a micro fibre towel. These are of thin material and pack away compactly. A pair of summer thickness cotton trousers which are also easy to pack.

After this I have two clothes tubes which is all I need. Two spare and the one set I'm wearing.

I choose a Decathlon wicking shirts/t-shirts for three reasons....erm...one,they wick sweat away from you,two,they are lightweight and pack compactly and three,they dry quickly after washing. Clothes tube...

Fold both socks over and you have a tube.

Toiletries are the usual stuff but include shaving oil instead of shaving cream. A couple of drops are all that's needed for a full shave. Lip balm is included as in Maroc the air is warm and dry and chapped lips are common here and there. A small tube of toothpaste too.

I also take a packet of make up wipes. These are designed to remove greasy make up and will remove oil from your hands after working on the moto,the way baby wipes will not. They double up of toilet use too.

Whilst taking a shower I stamp on my clothes to wash them and then wring them out ...hung out they'll be either dry or damp by the morning. If damp they'll be put in with the fibre towel and if I want to,at lunch time I can lift them out and hang over the moto for them to dry. The accessible 'overnight bag' means I don't have to rummage through everything..open the lid and they're there.

This principle allows me to ride with just two changes of clothes at all times.

At the end of the boxes there's a container which stores the following. Above this I squeeze in a pair of lightweight trainers and that's my LHS pannier for complete for everyday use.

Motion Pro chain breaker....(with JB weld stashed in the pouch also). A short length of chain with two interior end links...this allows the two split links to be used as seen earlier if the chain breaks in a goofy way.

Will It Buff Out?
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

While i commend you on your kit (thumbs) ...have you ever weighted the hippo...

Must be knocking on 220kg
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

byewayrider wrote:While i commend you on your kit (thumbs) ...have you ever weighted the hippo...

Must be knocking on 220kg

Good morning byewayrider

Yip...indeed...granted,heavy enough but I can lift the moto when it's dropped. To be autonmous I can't avoid taking certain things

I have had to delve into and use what I have in the past to keep me moving both in Europe and the Moroccan desert. The last time I had a puncture(of course rear wheel) I was on an autoroute,in peak summer in a 35km crawling traffic jam (August,Bezier direction Narbonne)......and on a Sunday!! No better time to get a puncture..oh,and it was 38c also :laugh:

Had I not had my repair kit I would've easily have had to wait 3 to 4 hours for breakdown,who in turn would've taken it to their storage before taking it to get a repair on the Monday.....but,most placers here are closed on a Monday so depending....I could've been there until Tuesday and thus home by Tuesday night!!

For the first time ever.....I was never so glad to have gotten a puncture ......and actually had my kit with me!! (before I left I was mulling it over as to whether or not to throw it in,because I was in Europe and on tarmac and all would be well)

This allowed me to get back home on Sunday evening a couple of hours late

Even in Europe it can be like you're in Africa!!

Three weeks away in Maroc where anything important needed would have to be ordered in can be so awkward. You don't have to be in the interior there just to not find parts. There's the very odd dealer in big cities who only seem to cater for quads and small cc bikes. (I've only ever seen two locally registered older sports bikes in all my riding there,that section of the market just doesn't exist as it were)

For example,if I don't have a clutch lever (or any other part that will stop me going forward) I'm in the position of trying to find quad shops that will have a cross over part that will suit...umpteen dashes across cities to find stuff after actually getting to the cities. Not having a lever is my fault and not bad luck with the moto breaking of it's on accord. I would be annoyed at missing so much of my time off there due to something so goofy.

I leave with installed fresh brake pads,chain kit and bearings(if applicable) This takes them out of the equation usually. (Upon my return I can swap over a chain kit or pads again if need be,if they're in good nick)

The weight is the other reason for having a single cylinder moto,with no top box and having minimum clothes.

If summer traveling without camping,then I have only both panniers half full...bumbag, water bottles and first aid in one and 'overnight bag' trainers and moto pump in the other.

On one of my trips I hooked up with a BMW 800 and the rider had one pannier filled fully with clothes only.....a fresh change every day for ten days,which meant that he needed a top box for other pruk along with his camping kit.

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

In my RHS pannier,on top of the first aid box I have my stove. It's fueled by petrol which I carry in a container on the outside of my pannier. The spout for same is of the same diameter to fill the stove. This means I can keep it fueled without the need for unique gas cartridges taking up space.

I solved how to carry it without getting damaged ...2.5 litre paint tin. The centre of the paint lid fits nicely over the burner ring support keeping it central in the tin along with the foam on the inside and bottom. less foam is installed to allow the on/off lever to be safe.

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Squeezed in at the end of the first aid is my cooking pruk.

When in Maorc I usually buy bread in the afternoon to eat with soup at night and I'll have also bought a packet of biscuits/cereal bars for breakfast the next morning. So the cycle continues each day.

In case of nothing available to be bought e.g. public holiday/remote I ride with a packet of small diameter burito fajita type bread, of which I put in at the start of my ride. This is vacuum sealed and can last a whole ride unopened. It is the same diameter as the cook ware so slides in nicely. Handy and filling to have in case no shops were available en route.

Cheap Decathlon works just fine for me....plastic bags for rubbish included and these days the cup has been ditched to squeeze more soup in.

A corkscrew can be found on the Swiss army knife in my pocket. :)

Also squeezed in is a Decathlon sleeping bag which by now is more or less filling my pannier.

I have a choice of two mattresses when I ride..one that takes up the last of the room in the pannier and one that is strapped onto the pannier.

I'm a side sleeper so I prefer the one I carry outside.

Again,Decathlon...size of a beer can.

A Decathlon blow up pillow is used too.

Beside this I stash my coffee rather than in with the canteen. I can open the pannier,lift out the stove and heat a brew up directly by heating my cup..all in a couple of minutes. The paper of the coffee is used to hold the cup handle as it's hot.

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

My other choice for sleeping is this

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... eview.html

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “TRAVEL”