europe

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Andyberg

europe

Post by Andyberg »

I am thinking of doing 2 and a half weeks next july august starting in switlerland / france covering as much as possible switzerland austria italy across south france to santander and home to wigan and has anyone got any trip reports from these areas and does anyone know of a good bike transport company to get me to the start of the trip or somewere near as i have done the trek down there 4 times now and i am bored of it ????
Helicoptermanr22

Re: europe

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Sounds good, In April we are getting the ferry to Bilbao then ride to Pyrenees down to Pico Range etc etc
I couldn't face the trip through France. security and motorway within time constraints and only wanna do the gravel tracks etc.
Why dont you start from Santander, and ride across bottom of france towards where you wanna go
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Euro Biketrans ship out to Prato, Nothern Italy....you fly out to Pisa.
I've not used them myself, but they have a good reputation. Also you drop your bike off at Manchester, which is handy for you. Have a good tip.
I'm thinking of doing somthing similar in the future, like you I'm cheesed off with NW Europe.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

iirc there's a bike shipper who'll transport your bike to the top of the RDGA area (Geneve?) from Northampton? I'm sure someone will remind me of the name. Ride the bike down to Northampton, taxi to Luton airport, easyJet to Geneve, Pick bike up next day.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Peirre wrote:iirc there's a bike shipper who'll transport your bike to the top of the RDGA area (Geneve?) from Northampton? I'm sure someone will remind me of the name. Ride the bike down to Northampton, taxi to Luton airport, easyJet to Geneve, Pick bike up next day.
www.bikeshuttle.co.uk I've read good reviews about them in magazines.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I wouldn't do southern europe in July and August. I live in northern Spain, and its simply too hot to ride in those months. Having said that, I have known some of the mountain passes to still be blocked with Snow in May. If you want to ride in what is a typically good British summer temperature, you need to aim for may/june or September/october.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

A few guys I know put their bikes on a train. Starts in Holland with options for Southern Germany, Italy and Slovenia. I will google to see if I can find it.

Edit, just look up Motorail where there's a few options but looks like the Dutch start point stopped running from 2016 onwards.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

AlanHolt wrote:I wouldn't do southern europe in July and August. I live in northern Spain, and its simply too hot to ride in those months. Having said that, I have known some of the mountain passes to still be blocked with Snow in May. If you want to ride in what is a typically good British summer temperature, you need to aim for may/june or September/october.
You choosing not to ride in the heat is probably like me choosing not to ride in the rain! If you only have a certain time frame you just adapt and get on with it. I come from the north of Scotland and didn't have a problem with the south of France in July in 38c. A jacket with a removable waterproof liner( that everyone slags off! Lol) so the vents actually work,mesh trousers and gloves...sorted! (thumbs)
Fishandchips

Post by Fishandchips »

Bring on the Southern European heat for me. Dry Sticky tarmac is heaven.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Fishandchips wrote:Bring on the Southern European heat for me. Dry Sticky tarmac is heaven.
Just watch the melted overbanding....I'm not used to that! :blush:

Return to “TRAVEL”