D8 Croatia - info wanted

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Spike941

D8 Croatia - info wanted

Post by Spike941 »

Starting to put together ideas for next year's trip. The Balkans is looking favourite, down as far as Greece possibly. The Croatian coast road the D8, from the Slovenian/Italian border down to Dubrovnik looks like it might be an interesting ride. Google images look good, but mentions of it being greify through some of the larger towns/cities, and in places subject to heavy traffic avoiding the toll motorway. These aren't issues worth worrying about, as any route will no doubt have similar issues here and there, but wondered if anyone here has ridden it and has any comments or advice?
Oop North John

Re: D8 Croatia - info wanted

Post by Oop North John »

Stunning road which when it's next to the sea it's almost constantly turning. But, I'd imagine it to be hell if you get stuck behind a slow campervan with a mobile traffic jam after it as most of the bends, IIRC, have no overtaking markings. Shouldn't be a problem finding a campsite / accommodation along it. I'd imagine an early morning ride along it would be stunning. Lots of interesting places to stop off, including Split / Zadar etc etc.

I'm glad I've done it, but would tend to use some of the roads more inland as they are much less busy / touristy
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I've not done all of it, but it was busy.
I was heading south, so it was Blue to the right and Green to the left, I don't want to be too critical, but there are better vistas inland in the mountains.
The sea side towns are touristy and busy in Summer.
If I were you I'd go and have a look, then draw my own conclusions, if it's not your cup of tea just turn left and head inland.
fatlad

Post by fatlad »

Spike, did this road Rijeka to Dubrovnik summer 2015 with two mates, one of the best routes I've ridden, excellent views over the Adriatic. Nice little seaside towns to stop for coffee, Trogir is a highlight. Plenty of campsites, we stopped at a big one in Zadar, then another in Dubrovnik. Just a point, check your bike insurance for cover in Bosnia as you have to pass into Bosnia for several klicks before back into Croatia for Dubrovnik. Insurance usually includes Croatia (EU?) but not Bosnia. Checkpoints at borders but we didn't get stopped.
Take care, Fatlad.
SomersetJohn

Post by SomersetJohn »

Yes the coast road can be busy in peak tourist season, but do it and make your own mind up you can always divert inland. If you want a day off we stayed in a place called Cavtat ( small harbour, lots of restaurants, really nice ) you can get the bus into Dubrovnik from the harbour square they run every half hour, takes the stress out of visiting the place.
I would also consider as your going south turn left at Montenegro and head inland, that's a stunning country for biking and views, we stayed at a place called Kolasin ( accommodation Lidija Rakocevic find them on booking, recommend it ) and used that as base for a few days having ride outs to explore the area, also at weekends during the summer in Kolasin they operate the ski lifts so you can get to the top of the mountains, great views ( and apres ski without the ski ) We were just going to ride through Montenegro but ended up spending a week there!
herman

Post by herman »

I loved it. B) Guess we were lucky but it was'nt that busy just avoid the German holidays. Lots to see and as said an inland divert is worth it (I have a gravel route over the mountains if needed). Speed traps will be out on approaches to towns and villages which is fair do in my book. Hoping to return this year.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

A nice road but it is a busy road as has been mentioned.
We found it very frustrating that the steep gravelly roads off down to the sea were too much for a heavily loaded two-up , tall bike so never did get a dip in the lovely, inviting sea.
The road is lined with people holding up 'Room to let' signs, so finding accommodation isn't a problem.
We turned inland to get away from the traffic and to visit the fjord of Kotor and then took a lovely pass up overlooking Kotor Bay. The roads were nicer inland inasmuch that they were quieter and just as scenic.
We headed for Lake Ohrid, which is probably one of the nicest places I have been to ( it lies on the border between Albania and Macedonia). The road around the lake is a lovely couple of hundred miles (thumbs)

Croatia was nice but I loved the people in Albania, who were very friendly; Macedonia was nice too- great people.

Balkans highlights : Lake Bohinj and Postjina Caves in Slovenia and Pivlice Lakes National Park in Croatia, a UNESCO Biosphere reserve
frgich

Post by frgich »

Spike941 wrote:Starting to put together ideas for next year's trip. The Balkans is looking favourite, down as far as Greece possibly. The Croatian coast road the D8, from the Slovenian/Italian border down to Dubrovnik looks like it might be an interesting ride. Google images look good, but mentions of it being greify through some of the larger towns/cities, and in places subject to heavy traffic avoiding the toll motorway. These aren't issues worth worrying about, as any route will no doubt have similar issues here and there, but wondered if anyone here has ridden it and has any comments or advice?
Hi Spike,

First you need to stop at my place for a cold beer, do not dare to pass by Zagreb and Lobagola B&B, without stopping to say hi (thumbs)

From Slovenia, where I would suggest riding in the area of Soca river, so that means Bovec, Predil pass, and Mangart (one way), and then riding a loop around Lake Bled and Bohinj.
I agree with PaulinBont for a suggestion regarding the Postojna caves, but if you're like me and do not like crowded place and appreciate an amazing approach and canyon carved in beautiful gorge, then I would rather go and see Skocjanske caves. Much smaller, less crowded, and very near Postojnska jama (cave).
From here you're stopping for a beer at Lobagola B&B (I've warned you :whistle:), and from us you have great old main road towards Plitvice lakes, and some 20/30 km from here go and see a Nikola Tesla museum. Famous scientist was born in Croatia, next to the famous National park Plitvice lakes.
From there I would ride to Korenica, and then over mountain (amazing twisties, very narrow but so great to ride) and Vrhovine pass ride towards Otocac. Nice small city, very bicycle and MTB oriented and a center of flyfishing in Croatia (Japanese, US tourists frequent these places in big numbers).
From Otocac ride over the crest of the mountain to the coastal city of Senj. This is the starting point of the famous twisty road from Senj-Karlobag (hundreds od curves, one upon another).
From Karlobag I would suggest riding back towards the inland, by doing this you will skip a part of the coast that for me is pretty boring, and you will see mountain Velebit, crossing it twice. When you get of the mountain you will be arriving to the city of Gospic, from where you will follow the mountain range riding the very good paved road in the valley. While riding on that local road, you need to look for a sign Sv. Rok, that is famous village, albeit you're not going there, you're aiming to cross the mountain using gravel road that is 30-40 km long. When you climb to the top of the mountain you will be greeted with amazing view on the coast, island, and mountains.
Nearby it's National park Paklenica, go there to see some bih wall climbing, it's attracting lot's of people from all over the world, and it also means you can find lot's of camping places along the coast near the entrance to the park.
From here ride towards Zadar, spend a day/two here, and then ride along the coast to Sibenik (amazing heritage), and then to Trogir (stay here for 2 nights. From here you can go and visit Split using a bus, and being in less stressed mode, because the traffic in summer is crazy.
From Split I would hit ferry to Hvar, famous for it's pristine nature, amazing wild flora and fauna and views on the souther part of the island that are breathtaking. Visit camp Lili in Jagodna, believe me, you would like to stay there forever (thumbs) . Enjoy some great Plavac mali red wine, try some fresh sea food etc.
Don't miss to visit the city of Hvar, Unesco island, oldest farming field in Europe, one of the oldest theatres, etc. Try small restaurants in the back allies, less expensive, and great food (highly recommended is Dalmatino, near the main piazza).

Ride across Hvar, end board the ferry to Drvenik, ride along the coast, and then board a new ferry in Ploce. You will ride to Peljesac peninsula with this ferry, that will enable you to see the nicest wine region of all of Croatia, and that is Dingac (Plavac mali wine sort), and it's just 10 min ride by boat from Peljesac to Korcula, beautiful medieval city, birthplace of Marco Polo ;).
From here ride along the Peninsula, stop at Trstenik where we're running a second B&B to try some local grapp :woohoo: .
From here you can ride to Mljet as someone I believe suggested, totally wild island, untouched nature, only 1 hotel (small one), and sights to remember.

Also on the Peljesac peninsula there is Ston, ancient city, place with the oldest sea salt pans in Europe, dating back to 14 century, and the longest fortified wall in the world after Great Wall of China!

From Ston, it's only 45 min ride to Dubrovnik, but I would suggest to stay outside of the city, save some money for good wine, food etc. Either create a base on peljesac peninsula, or go towards Cavtat, and find a camping place, saving some money, and the food there is also cheaper then in Dubrovnik.

Another thing is neighbouring Bosnia, Montenegro, and Albania, I can write more if you need (thumbs)

To everyone else, welcome to our beautiful coastal country, PM me if you need specific info.

Cheers
Dooby
hornet

Post by hornet »

I'd very much accept frgich suggested route the d8 is great down to Karlobag but not far beyond its much much less interesting and a good place to head across to plitvic. Skradin just north of sibenik was a great find for us

Happy travels
Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page

Return to “TRAVEL”