Slovenia and Croatia - Campsites

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Sidecarwilly

Slovenia and Croatia - Campsites

Post by Sidecarwilly »

Hello all - looking at a tour on my Triumph Sidecar outfit next May/June time - travelling from my home on the edge of the NC500 [Sutherland] - taking the ferry from Newcastle with first stop at Tilburg for the Jawa Club rally [3/4/5 June].

Unsure of route from Tilburg so many options really but probably head for Koblenz and take the Rhine route for Heidelberg. My destination is to take in Slovenia and Croatia. Time - I have plenty of as I am retired plus I take it easy it easy now.

Any suggestions to campsites in Slovenia and Croatia.

Thinking too to take the coast road in Croatia and ferry across to Italy for return route - but hey I get so confused after scanning maps and google on which way to go. So made up my mind - just take it as it comes and make decisions on the road once I get to Croatia
PaulinBont

Re: Slovenia and Croatia - Campsites

Post by PaulinBont »

There is a very cheap hostel on the shore of Lake Bohinj in Slovenia, much nicer than Lake Bled in my opinion fwiiw. Great camping outside Pitlivce Lakes National Park in Croatia which is unmissable imho, a large one in hundreds of acres of wooded meadows and a smaller, cheaper one across the road.

We chose Camp Bear across the road.

We also camped on the island of Mljet at a very nice rustic site on the beach.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Contact the slovenian tourist bord, very helpfull and for me lake bled and bohinj also ljubliana....piran on coast is okay too...the beauty of this countrt is the back roads and people and red wine and their breads...the whole country is very different the italian dolomite side is.spectacukar and the caves not main postiana ones are great too...most folks speak english and open there homes if your polite......avoid the northern industrial centres..
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Assuming you've got a modern phone the easiest way to find campsites anywhere in Europe is to put the app for Archies on your phone and use that to either plan things in advance or just find somewhere local whenever you decide you want to stop.

http://www.archiescampings.eu/archiesapp/eng/
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The coast road up from Montenegro all along the Croatian coastal strip towards Trieste is in good condition, lots of sweeping bends, and lots of campsites--its a favourite with the Germans in particular--in season no need to book--plenty of choice and the bigger ones have good restaurants--did it solo a couple of years back.
Sidecarwilly

Post by Sidecarwilly »

Will check these out - thanks

A great activity - browsing places in these dark cold nights.
herman

Post by herman »

As said you are spoilt for choice along the D8 in Croatia. Also lots of zimmer signs which are rooms in peoples houses let to tourists. There is a nice camp site just before this http://www.postojnska-jama.eu/en/home/ which we doubled back to and we stayed at KAMP KLENOVICA for a couple of days. all good.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Sidecarwilly

Post by Sidecarwilly »

Herman - Kamp Klenovica looks very good indeed. Thanks for the recommendation. I have it saved in a folder.
herman

Post by herman »

No problem. Bear in mind Croatia has it's own currency. We found it a bit of a pain finding an exchange open and visa was not accepted everywhere. Some nice gravel tracks over the mountains from Obrovak which is also worth a look and it really is worth heading away from the tourist traps.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

herman wrote:No problem. Bear in mind Croatia has it's own currency. We found it a bit of a pain finding an exchange open and visa was not accepted everywhere. Some nice gravel tracks over the mountains from Obrovak which is also worth a look and it really is worth heading away from the tourist traps.
That^^^

Made the mistake of reading the guide books phrase, 'the euro is widely accepted' as gospel and nearly got caught out in a restaurant at Opatija...the nearest cash point ( the only one in town) was broken and the next one a 15 minute bus ride away...luckily the campsite had its own facility and our runner managed to get there just as the owner was shutting up shop..otherwise i think we would still be doung the washing up....( not so bad as all the staff including mun doing the cooking all looked like supermodels )

Return to “TRAVEL”