Portsmouth/Bilboa ferry

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Gavinskii

Re: Portsmouth/Bilboa ferry

Post by Gavinskii »

I've been looking into this in the last few days with regards to the HISS events.

I've done this crossing 3 times before on the big cruise ship and whilst not being a huge lover of boats, found the experience fairly relaxing with a decent cabin, cinema, bars etc.

The economy crossing dates worked better for me, but the crossing seems to be around 6+ hours longer and the price saving to me didn't warrant the more basic, smaller ship. However I totally get why it will suit some.
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
gspod

Post by gspod »

mikeyboy wrote:Hi Dermot,I've been on most of the boats sailing the route,
The economy boat is quite a bit smaller than the cruse ships so it is affected a fair bit more by rough seas.
I wouldn't worry at all about the foreign truckers as they know how to behave,it's the pissed up British drivers that can put a spoiler on things :angry:
Strangely though the cabins on the economy boat are roomier (thumbs)[/quote

Roomier cabin, that and the money saved may swing it - cheers Mike (thumbs)
iceclimber

Post by iceclimber »

I've just booked for next September & I could have chosen the economy on the route out, it would have saved £50. But I've done the Spain route before & it is long crossing and a bit boring, so the thought of another 3 hrs on the boat was good reason No1 for me to choose the 'big ferry' & ...... reason No2 was 'big ferry' means lots of space & good long walks !! & reason No.3 was 'big ferry' got in at 17.00 (the economy was 20.00) so with just a few hours in the saddle we can be in the Pico's for our 1st night.

Have done the economy on short 4 hrs crossings to France ....... no issues at all ..... all good.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

The economy boat was bad enough when it was doing Portsmouth to Caen, I'd not fancy being on it for 24 hours, but then I've never booked a cabin, I just take my thermarest on board and find a quiet corner, and that wee ferry isn't big enough to have a quiet corner.

But then I seem to be weird anyway as I prefer to ride down through France.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Wouldn't catch me dead on the economie thingies. Sitting in Cherbourg on the Oscar Wilde [about same size as the Pont Aven which I also use on Cork to Roscoff] the little economie was down there way below us, short as anything. A case of pass the binoculars to see it.

Having sailed the Bay of Biscay under sail no bloody way would I be there on those little economie ones unless I knew in advance good weather was in the offing. It actually sits better [?] in the water fully laden, empty it bobs about more even though I guess [hope] it does take some ballast on board. If I have to save the $/£/€ I prefer the bigger ferry and get one of the Pullman seats with a sleeping bag. Travel with mates we can share a 4 man cabin for much the same price as a seat.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
-Ralph-

Portsmouth/Bilboa ferry

Post by -Ralph- »

On the bigger ferries there's plenty quiet corners to go bed down for a kip. The kiddies soft play area is very comfortable and deserted after 8pm.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

-Ralph- wrote:On the bigger ferries there's plenty quiet corners to go bed down for a kip. The kiddies soft play area is very comfortable and deserted after 8pm.

I one got kicked out of the reading room on the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry for snoring loudly
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Peirre wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:On the bigger ferries there's plenty quiet corners to go bed down for a kip. The kiddies soft play area is very comfortable and deserted after 8pm.

I one got kicked out of the reading room on the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry for snoring loudly
Brilliant!

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

plenty of spaces to sling an hammock on the upper deck (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
sven

Post by sven »

motorbike wrote:....do get a cabin i was bored shitless on the cruise ferry after walking round the bars a few times...sleep the journey away if you can
I concur (thumbs) I used the Sunday afternoon Plymouth-Santander ferry in 2013 and 23 hours on board was just about tolerable after a late and long breakfast in the restaurant and disembarking at lunchtime.

The return from Bilbao-Portsmouth was mind numbing as we didn't disembark until 4pm and it's not as if you can enjoy a drink. The posh cabin I booked was well worth the extra money as a comfortable sanctuary from the tedium

Return to “TRAVEL”