Beware of AMOMA.com

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Simon_100

Re: Beware of AMOMA.com

Post by Simon_100 »

boatman wrote:There is no doubt that some folk are a complete PITA ,and you can quite often pick them out by reading what they review and how they say it .
TripAdvisor has to be used by very much looking at the averages .
It must be quite distressing right enough for owners to read crap from obnoxious twats
Too true, it is extremely upsetting although I don't think we've ever had a bad review anywhere!

At least in Spain I always recommend booking.com on my Spanish Biker blog as the reviews tend to be honest and are about the actual accommodation, whereas Tripadvisor reviews seem more interested in talking about themselves, i.e. making out you're an 'expert' traveller by slagging off just about everywhere you go to. What's the point in that I ask?

Meanwhile, anyone going to Barcelona should check that the property they are booking is legally registered - this has to appear on the advertising, there's a number like ' HUTL-000734'* somewhere on the web page or whatever. AirBnB has been fined tens of thousands of Euros over and over again by the City Council for advertising unregistered properties but obviously they can just cough up and carry on. But the problem of noisy - and often drunk - tourists in normal residential accommodation has provoked near riots in recent years (it's a credit to the residents that they never express any direct hostility to the tourists themselves, although I wouldn't blame them if they did, I've been among a crowd in a busy city centre street where a bunch of drunken Brits thought it a good idea to hurl buckets of water from a fourth floor balcony ...)

Regs

Simon
* that's my registration number, a barcelona one would have the letter 'B' instead of the 'L' (for Lleida province in the Pyrenees) just Google it and you should find the listing in the Catalonian government's web page - well that's a few down the list but it is there!. If not it ain't legal and you might just find yourself a) having no recourse inn case of a complaint and b) locked out by the local police!
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Wouldn't be the Black Bull in Kirkby Stephen would it ? Cracking place if it is - basic, but clean accommodation, good food & real ale, but cheap as chips - plus secure parking for the bikes.

No, the Holiday Inn Express in Marseille, who Booking.com assures me have a secure underground car park. Currently stuck in France without a passport, having lost it 4 weeks ago, so need to get to the British Consulate and off load £100 for an emergency travel document to get home.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Philiptigerrice wrote:We've stopped using those sites - not that we ever really got into them (Tripadvisor etc).

We very quickly noticed that all of the lovely plces we were staying - when we looked back - had been absolutely SLATED on Tripadvisor.

My cousin runs a (biker friendly!) pub north of Hawes - and they've had to stop looking too - it was too upsetting - bloody awkward customers turning up - demanding Mayfair Silver Service in a Yorkshire boozer - and then utterly shredding them, and their food and being hugely personal about members of staff, in a way that you would never dream of speaking to someone in person. Nasty horrible stuff.

And yet - they have a happy thriving business with thousands of satisfied customers and hundreds of regulars...

Human nature I guess... :huh:
just another form of trolling or watching to much 4 in a bed a program i detest, if i find summat i dont like i tell em in no short terms but dont go out to advertise it

steve

Return to “TRAVEL”