Beware of AMOMA.com

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Spike941

Beware of AMOMA.com

Post by Spike941 »

The wife was just about to book a hotel through AMOMA.com via Trivago, as the cheapest price, when a quick google search brought up numerous complaints about AMOMA being rip off scam merchants running out of Switzerland. You've been warned.
FEI-LO

Re: Beware of AMOMA.com

Post by FEI-LO »

Erm .......... not sure about that - used them numerous times - no issues and in fact once cancelled a booking in SEAsia ( based on worsening TripAdvisor reviews) and got a credit card refund within 24 hrs.

Maybe worth checking validity of the complaints

HTH
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Go google for complaints about hotels.com, or lastminute.com, sure you'll find just as much dirt about them.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

This kind of stuff is typical these days. We've been running a perfectly respectable, and successful, self-catering holiday cottage in the Pyrenees since 2003 but we're been more or less run out of business by the likes of AirBnB and Ownersdirect - now part of the Homeaway group ...

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

We've stopped using those sites - not that we ever really got into them (Tripadvisor etc).

We very quickly noticed that all of the lovely plces we were staying - when we looked back - had been absolutely SLATED on Tripadvisor.

My cousin runs a (biker friendly!) pub north of Hawes - and they've had to stop looking too - it was too upsetting - bloody awkward customers turning up - demanding Mayfair Silver Service in a Yorkshire boozer - and then utterly shredding them, and their food and being hugely personal about members of staff, in a way that you would never dream of speaking to someone in person. Nasty horrible stuff.

And yet - they have a happy thriving business with thousands of satisfied customers and hundreds of regulars...

Human nature I guess... :huh:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
boatman

Post by boatman »

There is no doubt that some folk are a complete PITA ,and you can quite often pick them out by reading what they review and how they say it .
TripAdvisor has to be used by very much looking at the averages .
It must be quite distressing right enough for owners to read crap from obnoxious twats
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

-Ralph- wrote:Go google for complaints about hotels.com, or lastminute.com, sure you'll find just as much dirt about them.
This indeed appears to be the case. Amoma appears to be fairly new to this game and undercutting most of the competition. Certainly getting a lot of online grief, but so do all the others I've now found out. I usually take what some people leave as a review with a pinch of salt, but my initial findings with regards to Amoma were more than a little disturbing. The wife booked through Booking.com in the end, paying an extra 20 quid a night more than Amoma. Just hope I won't be one of those leaving an unfavourable comment about losing my money and not having a reservation upon arrival. 'Pays your money and takes your pick' I guess.
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

I usually look at trip advisor and other such sites when I go away somewhere. But as has already been said you need to look at a good few reviews to get an idea of what the place is really like.

We've just got back from an amazing 5 star villa resort in the Maldives which we thought was perfect - we really couldn't fault it, from the quality of the villa to the friendly and helpful staff. But yesterday reading through some reviews before I wrote mine I read one from someone who was there at the same time as us and you'd have thought they stayed in a completely different place from the review they wrote!!
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

Philiptigerrice wrote:We've stopped using those sites - not that we ever really got into them (Tripadvisor etc).

We very quickly noticed that all of the lovely plces we were staying - when we looked back - had been absolutely SLATED on Tripadvisor.

My cousin runs a (biker friendly!) pub north of Hawes - and they've had to stop looking too - it was too upsetting - bloody awkward customers turning up - demanding Mayfair Silver Service in a Yorkshire boozer - and then utterly shredding them, and their food and being hugely personal about members of staff, in a way that you would never dream of speaking to someone in person. Nasty horrible stuff.

And yet - they have a happy thriving business with thousands of satisfied customers and hundreds of regulars...

Human nature I guess... :huh:
Wouldn't be the Black Bull in Kirkby Stephen would it ? Cracking place if it is - basic, but clean accommodation, good food & real ale, but cheap as chips - plus secure parking for the bikes (thumbs)
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Farmers Arms in Muker! :)

Even better ;)

(thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)

Return to “TRAVEL”