Early Trip planning to Bulgaria

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Adrian1965

Early Trip planning to Bulgaria

Post by Adrian1965 »

After a bit of advice..
I am planning my first solo trip for next year, Starting in West Sussex, Destination is Varna in Bulgaria via Germany, Czech,Slovakia, Hungary Romania on the way down then home Macedonia, Albania, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria etc.. 4100 miles (ish)
I was hoping to set off on the Easter Friday as using 14days holiday gives me a 24day break because of bank holidays returning on 7th May
Home to Prague on the way down and Vienna back to home at the end will be covered as quickly as possible as to maximise the time spent between
So can anyone advise on:
Weather conditions ? - what sort of temperatures should I expect that time of year (middle bit)
Will anything be open ?? - ie campsites ,cafes,bars etc..
Fuel (my main concern) is there plenty about ??? - Romania - Croatia especially
Thanks in advance Adrian..
Dazzer

Re: Early Trip planning to Bulgaria

Post by Dazzer »

weather check when you leave .

Fuel no problem at all . if you have a small tank and you have used half of it and you see a filling station stop and top it up.

Just set off and enjoy your self. The less planning the better (thumbs)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Don't plan to use any of the high passes in Romania on your way down because they'll be shut. You'll also find lots of roadworks as some East European countries are trying to bring that part of their infrastructure closer to West European levels in a short period of time so sometimes you'll find your daily mileage goes significantly down hill.
crofty

Post by crofty »

Weather going down through Europe in April is a gamble, expect rain and cold. Macedonia, been a couple of times the 55 euros for insurance does,nt justify what it has got to offer in my opinion. If you need a place to take a break near Varna, the motocamp at Idilevo is just 150 miles away.
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

For what it's worth I took a trip in 2015 for a trip to India, setting off on April 20th, riding through Germany, Austria, northern Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania (see the link in my signature). The weather was fine, rained only twice and only for short periods, and it only got cold in the mountains. For weather history look at accuweather eg http://www.accuweather.com/en/al/berat/ ... =4/01/2016

In terms of things being open. People live there so stuff is open. Only once did I book a hotel where they were only half staffed and getting ready for 'the season' - that was in Montenegro. What I would say though, don't expect to be bumping into lots of other bikers - I only met one guy along the route in Como - it's still a bit early for European bikers to be on their holidays.

I'd also agree with Dazzzer, don't fret about it too much, as long as you have faith in your bike just go for it.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Regarding fuel, I entered Bulgaria from Turkey in August and was very surprised that the rural garages didn't take cards, so ensure you have plenty of Lei for petrol as they won't accept Euros either. Ask me how I know: I crept into a Shell garage in a town with only 3 miles range left :whistle:

Very kindly, a rural garage in the middle of nowhere had even given me two litres of petrol so that I wouldn't run out-I can't imagine that happening in Britain somehow !
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

I have no idea about riding that route but have just bought a place in Turnov (near Liberec) and will be over next easter. The trail riding around there looks great!
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

It's a shame you can't go later in the year. As previously pointed out the high passes will be shut.
Will you be heading through Romania and then crossing the Danube River at Giurgiu into Bulgaria at Ruse?
As the border between Romania and Bulgaria is the River Danube, your crossing points are limited.
If you are heading that way, don't go into Romania in the south near Arad. It's flat and boring but the main problem will be the heavy traffic especially trucks heading from Western Europe through to Bucharest and Turkey.
It would be much more pleasant to clip the Northern part of Hungary and enter Romania near Satu Mare. Far less traffic.
At some point you'll probably find yourself on the E81 motorway from Petesti to Bucharest heading to Giurgiu. Looking on a map you'd think there's a nice ring road around Bucharest.......be aware, It's being "improved" so unless you hit it at 05:00am or 22:00pm you'll have a nightmare.
It's far better to get off the E81 near Petresti (it's a small town halfway between Petesti and Bucharest) and cut Bucharest out.....unless you want to visit the big city that is.
The weather will be a mixed bag, so be prepared for all four seasons.....sometimes in the same day!
Have a great trip.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Judging from this pic on Google maps I'd be wary of oncoming traffic ;-)

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (64.36 KiB) Viewed 698 times
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

Return to “TRAVEL”