Denmark ? Worth going for a quick blast?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Ginger

Denmark ? Worth going for a quick blast?

Post by Ginger »

Chaps,

I have a five, maybe six, day window between work shifts and am looking for a quick blast.

In similar circumstances I have ordinarily head to the Champagne, Rhine, Vosges, Black Forest areas but fancy pointing my bike elsewhere.

Has anyone any experience of Denmark? I won't have the time to head up into Sweden / Norway on this ride out.

Ill be heading over the channel tunnel on Tuesday / Wednesday and then pointing to somewhere. I need to be back for early evening on Sunday.

So Denmark; scenery, roads, availability of campsites?? Whats your experience?
Redmurty

Re: Denmark ? Worth going for a quick blast?

Post by Redmurty »

through Denmark across the bridge up the west coast of Sweden, or just keep leaning right and go across Poland along the coast (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Denmark really doesn't have much going for it unless you specifically want to see something there. It's ok as a transit route to Sweden but realistically that doesn't give you long in Sweden either so unless you want to recce it for a future trip I wouldn't bother.

As Spud suggests, Poland is a similar distance and there's probably more to see at half the price. The one advantage of Denmark over Poland is that out of the cities you'll find more people speak English in Denmark.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

if you go to Poland you wont need any Euro's by the way, Zoti's I believe

cheers Spud ;)

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Poland is an eastern European country on the Baltic Sea known for its medieval architecture, Jewish heritage and hearty cuisine. In the city of Krakow, 14th-century Wawel Castle rises above the medieval Old Town, home to Cloth Hall, a Renaissance trading post in Rynek Glówny (market square). Nearby is the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp memorial, and Wieliczka Salt Mine, with tunnels to explore.

Capital: Warsaw

Dialing code: +48

Population: 38.53 million (2013) World Bank

Currency: Polish złoty

Official language: Polish

Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I was in Denmark three weeks ago (but not on a bike), some pretty if not particularly spectacular countryside with (where I was just north of Copenhagen) several lakes and lots of forests.

Very friendly people too!
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
wwdph02

Post by wwdph02 »

For a check on the area youtube the boxertouring.de group, plenty of trips across Denmark and shows the campsites they used.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Cheers guys,

I am getting a similar vibe from the same question on one of my Facebook pages that I follow - it 'ok' but nothing to really write home about.

I get the fact that its useful as a transit to Norway (which is on my list on a bike) but I just aint got enough time this next week for that.

Poland.....now there's a thought (thumbs)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I went across Germany to Poland then tracked the Tatra mountains in June this year as part of my European jolly and really enjoyed it. Nice enough scenery, decent roads and cheap to stay there.
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Ginger wrote: Poland.....now there's a thought
Poland is ace. Went to the Izi meeting in May. The organised ride out through the Lower Silesian valley was spectacular and after the rally we crossed through it again into the Czech Republic.

Don't bank on finding English speakers so equip yourself with a few friendly phrases to break the ice

I'll be back again

Return to “TRAVEL”