Brecon beacons

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
davsato

Brecon beacons

Post by davsato »

I'll find myself near the black hills at short notice later this week, as I've not been in that area before are there any good roads I should be looking for? Tarmac'd only as I'll be with some of those sports bike things. Tight steep hairpins are good though, its always fun seeing them on roads like that lolol
Dave
benp1992

Re: Brecon beacons

Post by benp1992 »

A4069 Black Mountain Pass is a great ride. Ride from Llandovery couple of great cafe's there. A4067 Abercaf-Sennybridge. And B4520 Brecon to Garth
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I've always liked the A4521 from Abergavenny to the A49. I used to avoid any fast A roads. The police can hang about Abergavenny on the weekend. A roads from the 465 towards hay on wye a fun but then they all are, pick any of the big a roads and turn off for fun. The major ones like the 470 and 465 etc were too fast for the ducati as you had to do stupid speeds before it felt like you were working so I picked all the smaller ones.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
threepot

Post by threepot »

Also..A4059 Hirwaun to A470. A4215 Libanus to Sennybridge. Take rd by church at Llywel A40 over Epynt military range to Tirabad-then Llanwrtyd Wells-Abergwesyn Pass-Devils Staircase-Lynne Brianne dam. As benp said,the b4520 from Brecon to Builth Wells is a great rd. Great cafe at Glan Usk Services in Sennybridge.
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

Go up past Llanthony Priory (stop for a shandy) up over Hay Bluff to Hay on Wye....narrow but memorable
spasm

Post by spasm »

as benp says the A4069is nice for a pass and great views indeed, depends where your staying, but i tracked back across it the 4069 which in turn is better towards landovery, if your with bikes that like twistys, hit the A483 from landovery up to builth,then stay on it to crossgates, straight across up to newtown. cracking road with lots of smiles for miles. crossgates has fuel, good cafe, and bikes everywhere if the suns out (thumbs)
i only need one wheel .......... the rear
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Watch out for Dibble in sennybridge on the way in from Brecon it's a favourite spot , the bastards sit in the slip road and you don't see them until it's to late , great roads around the area as the guys have said Llandovery to Builth , if you want a real twisty take the mountain road from Llandovery to Tregaron , that will test the sports bike boys (thumbs) (thumbs)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Two of my favourites when we go down to Brecon are:

The A470 from Brecon town up to the outskirts of Merthyr Tydfil. That's a good road for a sportsbike and with spectacular views. There is a good coffee/bacon/ice cream lay-by stop half way up it as well (thumbs) .

And the A483 from Llandovery to Beulah to Builth Wells, another superb piece of tarmac (thumbs) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
davsato

Post by davsato »

Cheers guys, it was a nice area
Dave

Return to “TRAVEL”