E.D.C Morocco 2016: On/Off road free guided open invite

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
roberteagle6

Re: E.D.C Morocco 2016: On/Off road free guided open invite

Post by roberteagle6 »

Hi WIBO, the nanny state rules OK ??? I have been on this site for a couple of years now and become very active having met a group of guys with the same interest - riding,having fun,and being responsible and helping each other when the going gets tougher. The riding skill range is very wide, but the experienced guys enjoy their skills whilst aiding the less experienced - everybody wins !
Anybody joining a foreign adventure is responsible for themselves, once on the road the group should be cohesive and supportive if not I for one would bail out at the earliest safe point to do so. My experiences riding with guys at the ABR meets (never met before) has been great, everybody chips in with a push here and there, assistance in picking the bikes up and tools and spares when needed. I know some of the guys who have ridden with you before and they give you top marks - enough for me, what you are offering your experience/knowledge for free is extremely generous and should be accepted at face value. The detractors won't be coming, so please ignore their protestations and don't get put off. Really looking forward to your 2017 trip - I for one will be there - cheers.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

it's realism not detraction. With the right planning it's an amazing place, but its folly to simply take people you don't know with no health history etc and with the attitude "everyone is responsible for their own safety". that is simply not the case. You think I am being negative. I've been running trips there for over 20 years, I have seen first hand what can happen, and the aftermath.
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Hi Guys, I just want to be clear on something
Wibo posted this : -
"Getting back to the real problem of tyre transport..Roger has just cut it in two and sellotaped it to his panniers....we'll superglue it together upon arrival. Sorted!!!"

This was a joke, I didn't really cut the tyre in two halfs and we aren't going to be using superglue or sellotape to join them back up again!!. The tyre is safely strapped to the rear of the bike ( A man in a fluorescent jacket is currently checking it over...)

we are off today and can't wait :-)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

qwerty wrote:Hi Guys, I just want to be clear on something
Wibo posted this : -
"Getting back to the real problem of tyre transport..Roger has just cut it in two and sellotaped it to his panniers....we'll superglue it together upon arrival. Sorted!!!"

This was a joke, I didn't really cut the tyre in two halfs and we aren't going to be using superglue or sellotape to join them back up again!!. The tyre is safely strapped to the rear of the bike ( A man in a fluorescent jacket is currently checking it over...)

we are off today and can't wait :-)
No! that was a joke :pinch: :whistle: just thought I had found a new off road system :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

have a great trip

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

peoples real character comes out when the shit hits the fan, some will run towards danger and help others will run away from danger.

So you may think you know you're group, you won't until it really matters

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
roberteagle6

Post by roberteagle6 »

Hi Roger, have a great trip - hope to catch up with you at one of the ABC meets and hear all about it first hand.
geoham

Post by geoham »

Mike54 wrote:it's realism not detraction. With the right planning it's an amazing place, but its folly to simply take people you don't know with no health history etc and with the attitude "everyone is responsible for their own safety". that is simply not the case. You think I am being negative. I've been running trips there for over 20 years, I have seen first hand what can happen, and the aftermath.
Hi Mike, I see you have really taken to what I said about everyone being responsible for thier own safety!

You added "with the attitude ". Do you not think everyday we take our bikes,cars,bicycles or whatever mode of transport we use that we are responsible for our own safety?

You say you have been running trips for over 20 years. Does this mean that guys come with you on these trips with the attitude of I don't care about my own safety as Mike with sort it all out and they take off and do stupid things?

I'm guessing not as it can't be down to just one guy weather your on a paid trip or on a trip that a guy has offered to show you a few great places with the reassurance of at least they have been here loads of times before and they know what they are doing.

Plus they have things in place incase something happens ie a guy with a truck to get you to the Port.

Guys have commented on the lack of a good health system over there.

I'm guessing this is true and I say I'm guessing this is true as I haven't been to Morocco yet.
Once again does this mean that we can go and not worry about our health as WIBO will take care of it all,or is it not a case of we as individuals are in fact "responsible for our own health and safety" if and when we decide to go?

Also Over the 20 years you have been taking trips can you tell me how you go about being 100% sure everyone that goes with you is a safe rider saying your responsible for thier safety?

I noticed you say

"I've been running trips there for over 20 years, I have seen first hand what can happen, and the aftermath"

Does this then mean that your safety system where as a trip leader who is responsible for everyone's safety has let you down?

This is by no means getting at you Mike.
I'm just trying to find out what I said about everyone being responsible for thier own safety and how that came accross to you as a negative attitude?
nuttynick

Post by nuttynick »

Mike has a very valid point that shouldn't be dismissed. I rode Morocco in April on my Ducati Scrambler, sorry, not a GS etc! The route from Merzouga to Zagora is pretty isolated at times, and a hard fall on rocks could easily result in broken bones or worse. A medivac from some of these places is not realistic. I have a military background and a good level of medics training. One of my panniers was half full of medics kit, including a flexi splint, and even a tourniquet. A broken femur in these areas is something best not thought about. Yes we are all big boys, but we all want to come home in one piece, so be prepared, take proper kit, and be trained how to use it! Here's a link to a film I made of my trip, almost all fimed by me. The remote pass it at around 49 mins from memory. If you've never been, then go! But take heed of Mike's advice.
geoham

Post by geoham »

nuttynick wrote:Mike has a very valid point that shouldn't be dismissed. I rode Morocco in April on my Ducati Scrambler, sorry, not a GS etc! The route from Merzouga to Zagora is pretty isolated at times, and a hard fall on rocks could easily result in broken bones or worse. A medivac from some of these places is not realistic.

I have a military background and a good level of medics training. One of my panniers was half full of medics kit, including a flexi splint, and even a tourniquet.
A broken femur in these areas is something best not thought about. Yes we are all big boys, but we all want to come home in one piece, so be prepared, take proper kit, and be trained how to use it!

Here's a link to a film I made of my trip, almost all fimed by me. The remote pass it at around 49 mins from memory.

If you've never been, then go! But take heed of Mike's advice.

Yes nuttynick I will take heed of mikes advice as it would be madness not to take on board what he said and what you said.
What I'm going on about is the whole thing about each person being responsible for thier own health and safely weather it's on an orginised trip or your going solo!
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Just checkng in,.... We all ffinished the Merzouga to Zagora piste with the only incident, thankfully being a puncture. In the forty minutes taken to repair it, three vvehicles and a moped checked to see if all was well.

Keeping it in context I'd iimagine if one had the same problem green laning in Wales on a weekday in October there would be less traffic. I'd hate to think how long one would have to wait in the freezing cold if something more sinister occurred.

The puncture repair was carried out as the rest of us stood by idyly observing and proferring opinions as to how it was being done iincorrectly,with a suitable amount of pointing along with pictures being taken.

After completing the relevant incident report forms and after the health and safety debriefing, as stated, we carried on to finish the trail.

The final report concluded that had it not been for the riders backgrounds of being a teacher, cabinet maker, office worker, cameraman and landscape gardener that they would not have made it out alive. :)
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “TRAVEL”