USA and Canada

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Brnorules

USA and Canada

Post by Brnorules »

Thought I would share some ideas for anybody wanting to do the US or Canada. I have just returned from my second tour. I bought a bike in LA last August and travelled up to Seattle. Then in June I returned to collect my bike and did another month up into Canada. I then sold the bike in Seattle. If you have time or want to travel more than a couple of weeks this is by far the best way to go. Renting is extortionate, around 1000US a week by the time you have finished. I got 8 weeks and only lost 1000US on the bike when I sold it. The roads are amazing, you would need a year to explore but if you can get away with a decent break buy your bike. I can give you the name of the dealer who will sell you a bike and buy it back off you in Seattle if anybody is interested although I am sure there are plenty who would do it. Just food for thought to share with the 2 wheeled traveling masses. Ride safe, Off to Slovakia next :)
Mosel Bikes

Re: USA and Canada

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Thanks for that. Something I'm looking at doing and, interestingly, it's the NW Pacific coast up to Seattle (or down from it) that I'm most interested in. Can I ask:
- what's the process for bike purchase if you're not a resident American?
- how did you manage to leave it between your first and second trip?
- how did you / does someone arrange insurance?
- what type of bikes are available? new? used?
Cheers, Mike
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Brnorules

Post by Brnorules »

Hi Mike,
I actually put a note on one of the many travel and biking forums and asked if anybody was willing to store the bike for me and got a couple of responses. Its a big biking community so if you give yourself enough time, somebody will usually help you out. What goes around comes around.
You don't need to be a resident you just need an address to register the bike too and you get the insurance in your own name along with the title of the bike. I was stopped twice by police in LA and Seattle and both times they checked all my documents and were quite happy so I know 100% it can be done.
I bought used, I think you would lose too much money on a new one unless you were going to ship it home.
Check out www.moonmotorcycles.com in Issaquah near Seattle Scott is a good guy and would probably assist with the bike and registration, he has a big selection. Or there is a guy in LA that will buy the bike but you have to find it and send him the money. Depends if you want to go N to S or S to N. Either way the roads and scenery is stunning.
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Thanks for that.
I've quite a few friends in the States so using an address for buying the bike wouldn't be a problem.
Just to be clear, are you saying that you take the insurance out using the same American address that you registered the bike to? If so, is that technically legal? (even if the police who stopped you were happy with the documents), as you don't actually live there?

Oh, and what was the process for selling the bike? did it take long?
and do you need anything special for popping over to Canada for a week or so?
I'd be looking to go for a 6-8 week trip with maybe a week in Canada.
Thanks again.
robson

Post by robson »

Brnorules wrote:Thought I would share some ideas for anybody wanting to do the US or Canada. I have just returned from my second tour. I bought a bike in LA last August and travelled up to Seattle. Then in June I returned to collect my bike and did another month up into Canada. I then sold the bike in Seattle. If you have time or want to travel more than a couple of weeks this is by far the best way to go. Renting is extortionate, around 1000US a week by the time you have finished. I got 8 weeks and only lost 1000US on the bike when I sold it. The roads are amazing, you would need a year to explore but if you can get away with a decent break buy your bike. I can give you the name of the dealer who will sell you a bike and buy it back off you in Seattle if anybody is interested although I am sure there are plenty who would do it. Just food for thought to share with the 2 wheeled traveling masses. Ride safe, Off to Slovakia next :)
exactly, around 100-150$ a day this is really crazy:
http://www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle-rental

Planning to do something like this next year but I was thinking about shipping the bike to Europe once I'm done exploring. I guess though you need to have some kinda local address to insure the bike.
sven

Post by sven »

Duplicate post
sven

Post by sven »

robson wrote:
Brnorules wrote:Thought I would share some ideas for anybody wanting to do the US or Canada. I have just returned from my second tour. I bought a bike in LA last August and travelled up to Seattle. Then in June I returned to collect my bike and did another month up into Canada. I then sold the bike in Seattle. If you have time or want to travel more than a couple of weeks this is by far the best way to go. Renting is extortionate, around 1000US a week by the time you have finished. I got 8 weeks and only lost 1000US on the bike when I sold it. The roads are amazing, you would need a year to explore but if you can get away with a decent break buy your bike. I can give you the name of the dealer who will sell you a bike and buy it back off you in Seattle if anybody is interested although I am sure there are plenty who would do it. Just food for thought to share with the 2 wheeled traveling masses. Ride safe, Off to Slovakia next :)
exactly, around 100-150$ a day this is really crazy:
http://www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle-rental

Planning to do something like this next year but I was thinking about shipping the bike to Europe once I'm done exploring. I guess though you need to have some kinda local address to insure the bike.
I hired a BMW R1200RT from Eaglerider LA in 2012 and, as fantastic as the 17 day trip around California and the South West was, the hire cost was far too much to repeat the experience in 2014 and 2016.

The £1800 I save by hiring a convertible Mustang more than paid for the flights on both trips and more besides. I missed the bike on UT12, the Black Hills and the Beartooth Highway, but the Mustang's were fun elsewhere.

My wife and I are 50 in a couple of years, so I may hire a bike to make another trip special in 2019 (thumbs) Or maybe ship mine out to the West Coast with www.unchainedtours.com

image_2016-08-14.jpeg
image_2016-08-14.jpeg (55.71 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
Brnorules

Post by Brnorules »

Hi Mike
Yes insurance documents were as per the registered address. There is a lot of options and it can be very expensive. I ended up getting the minimum cover but then got a good policy for travel insurance from Carol Nash they have a medical cover that covers bike riding so if you got knocked off at least your medical is covered and for me that was my main concern as medical in the USA is crazy money,
I sold it to a dealer so it was easy enough depends how much time you have. Best to ring around a few providing you know you are going to take a hit its ok and a dealer will take most things at the right money, The idea is saving on rental costs and a 6 to 8 week trip is a no brained, safe travels
Adrian
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Thanks Adrian
Do you have a blog or ride reports somewhere? Be good to see and hear where you went.
akceller8

Post by akceller8 »

I'm considering a fairly big America trip with my Dad, who doesn't have the same biking experience or endurance as me, and came up with another option.

Hire a car for long distance, boring bits. Then hire bikes for a couple of days at a time in interesting places.

I think this is a good compromise for price and endurance capabilities.
Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time!!

Return to “TRAVEL”