Ferry v Tunnel

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Philiptigerrice

Re: Ferry v Tunnel

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Can I make a suggestion - ring P&O North sea Ferries Direct.

I have found in the past that you get a much better deal - particularly when booking bikes - if you do it on the phone.

I went to Holland in the car, four of us, outside cabin, all the meals and all the extras in the Easter Holidays - and it was £400 all in. (thumbs)

Nearly £900 sounds like an error... :blink:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

As the Hull ferry is only 52 miles from home I tend to use that, as the slog down to the tunnel negates the time saving of a local departure. But the distance to some of the south coast ferries ie to Spain can be a PITA for me, especially if for example the return ferry into Poole lands in the evening so it can be the early hours before I get home.
herman

Post by herman »

There is always space here for you northerners. Pompey 20 min, Poole 45. Brittany ferries prices are escalating though as there is no real competition left. The wife is taking a small sports car over next week and it is £360 with our 30% discount :( Even from here on the bikes I have been known to take the tunnel if I am heading more easterly, pre book though its cheaper.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Africa John

Ferry v Tunnel

Post by Africa John »

When I went to the Izi meeting in Poland in May the ferry from Hull was £350 and from Harwich £150 so I opted for the 200 mile Harwich run.

The Stena ferry was better with a decent sise TV in the room and no crappy entertainment

I'd do it again. If the journey to Dover wasn't a total PITA I would go from their to Dunkirk for the £50 return ticket price but the A14/M11 and Dartford Crossing are fecking nightmares
bowber

Post by bowber »

Do the tunnel still do the stupid day return price that's less than half the one way ticket?

Steve
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

Going next week with Stena Harwich to Hook-of-Holland, £350 return - me, wife and car, cabin only for overnight return journey. We are 2h drive from Dover but doing all we can to avoid Calais.
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

Checkout with the tunnel folks via phone. I have purchased a 10 trip pass for 430 pounds. Thats 43 qid a crossing Its good to use for 1 year for bikes cars vans even campervans - only condition with vans is they are only to be used for recreational/ none comercial use. There are some other time conditions like after 1600 out and before 1400 back = if you trave at other time a levy of 20 applies.I am happy /well chuffed as its saving me a fortune as I am hoping to go quite a few times in next year. You can "share" the booking with one other nemed person as well so they could travel in their car/van//bike toooooo
HTHY
Mick
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
Old Geezer

Post by Old Geezer »

SteveW wrote:I've just priced up a trip across to Europe and back.
My preferred route is Hull-Zeebrugge because it's 200 miles closer to home than Folkestone for the Tunnel.
Early October, Transit Custom van, me, wife and dog.
£868 for the Hull ferry and £190 for the Tunnel.
Nearly £700 more expensive for the ferry!
Look's like its the long drag down south again for us, I just can't justify the expense, even with an overnight in a decent hotel thrown in and the extra fuel it's much cheaper by Tunnel.
Edit.....
I just checked the same crossings for a bike.....
£325 Hull ferry £72 Tunnel.
Which would mean I'd defiantly do the Hull ferry if I was travelling by bike, which is what I always do.
£250 more is just about worth the extra convenience of the ferry and the savings on fuel and hotel costs.
Check out ferry costs from Dover to Calais. You will find they are half the costs of Tunnel. Plus you get the time to have a meal and relax after your trip down south. By Tunnel the hour you save you lose when you stop to eat on other side. I live in Folkestone so use that extra hour to stay in bed and leave to have breakfast on the boat. Booking in etc. is the same for both Tunnel and Ferry and subject to the same delays though on the Tunnel your booking time is irrelevant and it is first come first on whereas on the Ferry you have a booked time and early arrivals are put on if there are spaces.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

The problem if you live in the north west or north is the trip to folkestone. even on a bike the traffic is always crap so you need time. if you get the ferry its even more time - it can take easily 4 hours to folkestone from the north west, sometimes more. By the time you then get there early for the ferry, load, do the trip, lose an hour with the time difference its a very tiring day overall.

The alternative is ride down the day before and find somewhere with proper secure parking nearby (I havent managed to find anything yet) then go early the next day and you have the whole day.

Steves preference for the hull ferry is understandable really but the prices are mental. i have a mate though who is a (go on, laugh) member of the caravan club and he seems to get very good prices on the ferry through them
Old Geezer

Post by Old Geezer »

Mike54 wrote:The problem if you live in the north west or north is the trip to folkestone. even on a bike the traffic is always crap so you need time. if you get the ferry its even more time - it can take easily 4 hours to folkestone from the north west, sometimes more. By the time you then get there early for the ferry, load, do the trip, lose an hour with the time difference its a very tiring day overall.

The alternative is ride down the day before and find somewhere with proper secure parking nearby (I havent managed to find anything yet) then go early the next day and you have the whole day.

Steves preference for the hull ferry is understandable really but the prices are mental. i have a mate though who is a (go on, laugh) member of the caravan club and he seems to get very good prices on the ferry through them
A PM to me might get you a bed and secure parking for the night IF me or my son are around when you want to travel. I spend July-Sept in France but my son is around in Folkestone most of the time and he is also on the ABR Forum.

As a P.S. can also offer dry accommodation at Dole in the Jura during July to September just have to pay the normal camping fee for the site I have a fixed pitch on.

Return to “TRAVEL”