Wild Atlantic Way

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: Wild Atlantic Way

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

PaulinBont wrote:Doing this in May/June 2017; great route planning ideas here. Are there any highlights down West Cork way? Planning on going to where Michael Collins was ambushed .
My son loves the rides up that way and goes there often enough. Ambush date was 22nd August and he always remembers at its his birthday.

There is the ABR rally up in Draperstown in May and planning to hit that.

My preference always is for camping but B&B is option too. However I prefer to not have stuff booked and be able to stop or camp somewhere that looks nice. It's a personal preference. Camp sites are generally good now and wild camping options do exist.

I am in Cork and near the start of the WAW from the southern end. Trouble is that some parts are best seen from north to south, others south to north and you need a few figure of eight routes to get the very best. If you have the time it is so worth it.

Some places in Cork end......

1: Kinsale to Timoleague on R600.
2: Mizen Head.
3: Healy Pass but the best way to see this is from north to south. Nice camp site at http://www.eaglepointcamping.com/ between Bantry and Glengarriffe and take an extra day or two here if time is your own. For a day trip go east into Ballylickey/Inchigeela and Gougane Barra and also Michael Collins Beal na Blath.
4: On to Kenmare and Ring of Kerry. Good campsite at Glenbeigh. Again time here and some lovely places in the centre and visit Valentia Island [its not an island anymore]. Also option for Daniel O'Connell's birthplace at Derrynane, the place is amazing and a great beach.
5: Dingle peninsula, Inch Beach has a place to eat. Don't miss the Slea Head drive and then on to Conor Pass.
6: Ferry across the Shannon from Tarbert to Killimer but....if you carry on a little further than Tarbert towards Limerick you will find http://www.flyingboatmuseum.com/aviation-museum/ and you can also find Adare which your other half will enjoy....
7: From Killimer along the Clare coastline a great camp site at Doolin. http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/cla ... ravan-park worth staying a few days and take in Cliffs of Moher [you will feel a bit ripped off here but the car park is bike friendly cheap and a place to leave the bike gear]. An inland trip will take you to Craggy Island http://www.fathertedshouse.com/ and well worth a visit. Lots of nice roads around the Burren, http://www.aillweecave.ie/ is worth a visit and good for lunch. If you want something special how about this.....https://www.shannonheritage.com/Evening ... leBanquet/ not cheap but a very memorable occasion in a fabulous setting. From Doolin a ferry day trip to Aran Islands is really worth it, or even stay overnight.
8 Galway is a pain in the neck to get around and its often quicker to avoid the by pass and actually ride through the city.
9: Galway to Clifden takes you to Leenane and Maam Cross. Consider Maam Cross to Leenane instead, then to Louisburgh then Westport and stay at http://www.westporthouse.ie/ for a few days. A trip from Westport to Leenane to Clifden will bring you near the Sky Road http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/visit ... ra/drives/ which is best approached from the north side.
9. From Westport you can head to Newport to Achill and some great places there. at this point you are only half way.....

My friend last year brought his fishing tackle on the bike. We laughed but not for long, bring some with you. At Doolin he got some great fish that we cooked up at Nagles camp site, we sorted the dinner and he arrived back in with the fish filleted....five star food it was. We had managed to corral some new potatoes and some other things to go with them.

A little aside is if you arrive into Dublin consider going to www.norevalleypark.com Its at Bennettsbridge and about hour and a half from the ferry into Dublin and take a day or two there. A day trip is to take in over to Lismore/Cashel/Cahir/Glen of Aherlow. Another is to take in Wicklow from the western side and its rather nice. From Bennettsbridge go down to Hook Head and if you have good weather wild camp there is an experience. From Hook Head you can start heading west to Cork.

Don't try to do too much miles in one day, roads are variable and speeds tend to be lower with lots of [strike]pubs in nice places[/strike] distractions that invite you to stop for longer than you might plan.

Bike guys are friendly and will chat to you....if you are around May June maybe get a chance to meet up somewhere.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
mawse

Post by mawse »

A few videos from last year when we did aspects of the WAW should get you in the mood
If you only watch one watch the Connor Pass! (couldn't have planned worse weather)!

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]HHt3eID0LUA[/video]

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]hUPXdX_RQXs[/video]

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]AeE3ungqT4c[/video]

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]GjYQ4b-Ec30[/video]

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]8HVCOncF5n4[/video]

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]vgeIw2-gdJc[/video]

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]WYMqY86bqn4[/video]
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

Whats the weather like in April? Does it start to warm a little or is it still too cold and wet for camping? I'm thinking a week in April and setting up a tent in the South West coast for a few days then just heading out from there in the morning.
Then moving further up the coast and setting the tent up further towards the North.
I know it will be a ride to get to the coast each morning and will pobably mean in my week away I won't be able to see all of it unfortunetly I'm limited to a week.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

No shortage of campsites b&b's along the way. When we did a bit of it a couple of years ago, we just started looking for somewhere a couple of hours before dark.
Weather in April is anybodies guess, but like the rest of the British Isles it could be anything from baltic to pleasently warm. Again it could be lashing down in one part & sunny in another. You could let the weather decide which area to go to.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Flintlock wrote:No shortage of campsites b&b's along the way. When we did a bit of it a couple of years ago, we just started looking for somewhere a couple of hours before dark.
Weather in April is anybodies guess, but like the rest of the British Isles it could be anything from baltic to pleasently warm. Again it could be lashing down in one part & sunny in another. You could let the weather decide which area to go to.
I would follow Flintlock's advice on the weather. I took a camping trip in August 2015 and 2016 and let weather decide where I went. On both occasions 10 day trips only had one wet day that we were prepared for. I had friends over from England and having watched weather advised them that I would set up at a campsite that was only about 90 minutes from the ferry port. Gave them the weather update and told them our original plan of the Ring of Kerry was out unless they wanted torrential rain. What they got instead was glorious sunshine, Wicklow Way, Wicklow Gap, Hook Head and more. After that we went west to the WAW and the Burren/Connemara. All in a week for them.

Campsites will be open, weather generally reasonable but we have on occasions had snow at Easter, other times we have been able to lie in the sun so be prepared. For April you need a 3/4 season sleeping bag but days are generally great. Expect showery maybe. No need to book ahead as camping wont be busy, literally check weather on the way and make a final decision when you are on the ferry. If the west of Ireland is down for bad weather the North East as in Mournes/Antrim etc is awesome too with some great rides and camp sites, so also is south east.

My own plans include camping at Easter and will be Thursday to Tuesday. Likely to go to www.norevalleypark.com but if weather is good I will be looking at Doolin in the Burren or Kerry.

Lots of the camp sites are on the coast so you wont have distant to travel, some like http://www.eaglepointcamping.com/ are on the waters edge, literally, some of the tent pitches are right at the beach. But choose them carefully if you camp on a beach, if you get an Atlantic blow you will know about it. They have lots of sheltered pitches too but those ones on the beach are idyllic in good weather. A nice base for a few days and a good supermarket opposite the entrance to the camp site. Depending on your plans you will make that from ferryport on the day you arrive, well it's about 4-4/12 hours from Rosslare or Dublin.

Maybe consider some options depending on weather that would work as base for a few days.

Bennettsbridge Kilkenny: Nore Valley
Bantry Eagle Point.
Ring of Kerry Glenbeigh
Clare/Doolin.
Galway Dogs Bay
Mayo: Westport.
Rosses Point.
North East: Meelmore/Tollymore in the Mournes
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

Some great ideas thanks.
I think we'll be going the camping route unless the weather is horrendous then b&b it.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple

Return to “TRAVEL”