Off to Spain in a couple of weeks.....

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Chunkychops

Re: Off to Spain in a couple of weeks.....

Post by Chunkychops »

pinball1008 wrote:Your route home puts you within 40 minutes of me (north of La Rochelle) happy to meet somewhere for coffee/beer or whatever.
If I am making good progress, I will defo take you up on that. Thanks!!
Tim Cullis

Re: Off to Spain in a couple of weeks.....

Post by Tim Cullis »

I'm in the same area of Spain as Larryskippy and believe me it gets really too hot for riding in the afternoon. It's not just the heat, it's the sheer strength of the sun. It's vital you don't let your core temperature rise, so set off REAL EARLY each morning (pre-dawn if possible) to make the best of the cooler temperatures, then stop for the night at about 2pm. You'll cover the same ground but in far more comfort and safety. Thoroughly wet your clothes with water every time you stop then you'll get a refrigerator effect for the next 30 minutes.

Saint-Giles-Croix-de-Vie is very nice, we have a friend who lives there. Just to the north of your route from Saint Giles is the Isle of Noirmoutier which has a tarmac D95 route onto the isle, and the D948 route back which is only exposed at low tide. Great fun, but wash the bike afterwards if you get serious salt splashes. Tide table: http://uk.ile-noirmoutier.com/marees/8
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase

Return to “TRAVEL”