Ardennes?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
herman

Ardennes?

Post by herman »

I have a short free pass coming up early June which I may make a bit elastic so have four days tops to play with. I reckon take the tunnel and I can have three full days camping/bnb in the French Ardennes so does anyone have must sees, must dos or stay here recommendations? I think I will base myself in one spot, explore and eat cake. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
AndyB

Re: Ardennes?

Post by AndyB »

If you get a miserable, wet afternoon I can recommend going to visit the caves of Han

http://www.belgiumtheplaceto.be/familiy ... of_han.php

I was reluctant to go because I used to go caving a lot and thought it would be boring but it had been a wet morning so I allowed myself to be dragged along and it was a lot better than I expected.

Another favorite for me is to pick up the river Meuse and follow the road alongside it going south from somewhere around Givet but it depends on what you want to do and what you're riding.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Some great roads but avoid Charleville..its a shit hole full of immigrants...the belgium roads have crap surface...some old look out positions south of Reimes in the champagne region...look on bestbikingroads for routes mate...or wikiloc.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

The Battered Bastards of Bastogne! (Battle of the Bulge-Band of Brothers) Museum in Bastogne is fantastic and well worth a visit.
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

I'm told the pate is good :-)
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Agree with Andy, the stretch along the Meuse from roughly Charleville Meziers (might be full of immigrants but the old square cafes and cake is still good) - Montherme - Revin - Fumay - Haybes - Chooz - Givet - Dinant is nice, with lots of quaint and authentic small hotels, bars and restaurants. Dinant (just over the border) is well worth a few hours, with the cathederal/citadel and riverside jetty restaurants, waffle-joints and trappist beers. Givet has a cheap and cheerful municipal campsite, on the west side of the river, which has the main square and less austere than the east side - just be aware that, like most of the small towns here, they can be virtually dead/closed by 9pm! even in 'high' season. Chooz is interesting, with its power station oddly set against the most wonderous stretch of reeded-river complete with more otters than I've ever seen in one place outside a zoo. Nice to just call at a pattiserie, load-up with cakes, sit by the river and watch the kingfishers and otters. Mind, unless you do stop for a while at places and if you like to be always on the move/bike, you'll 'do' the whole area in a day. It's best to chill, relax, take time and let the slow pace of the place weave its magic. As you can probably tell, it's a favourite area of mine - well, what's not to like? good roads and views, great cake and beer.
Oh, also agree with Paul, if you want to drift slightly further, into Belgian Ardennes, Bastogne is really good.
Luxembourg (Vianden/Echternach/Diekirch(best WWII museum ever) is an easy day ride to and back to your tent.
Enjoy. I'll be there regular from mid June on.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

La Roche en Ardennes is a good base for exploring, there's a good campsite on the river about half a mile from the centre of town.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

H.

The museum at Bastogne is awesome.

I have typed up a big reply about the whole experience with pictures and everything but seeing as it's now failed twice I've lost the will :(

Sorry mate. How many years has this forum been going now and it's still operating on DOS 4.22 with crayons and paper cups!!!!!!!!!

Ade
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Adrian wrote:H.

I have typed up a big reply about the whole experience with pictures and everything but seeing as it's now failed twice I've lost the will :(

Sorry mate. How many years has this forum been going now and it's still operating on DOS 4.22 with crayons and paper cups!!!!!!!!!

Ade
Careful Ade! I moaned that it wouldn't load my photos, my post got deleted: sent to the naughty step :whistle:
herman

Post by herman »

Adrian wrote:H.

Ade
Thanks all, Adrian I have pmd you my email if you want to try again, much apreciated :)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “TRAVEL”