Anyone been to Nordkapp?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
tromso

Re: Anyone been to Nordkapp?

Post by tromso »

Went there in 2012 fantastic trip follow the coast road lots of ferries take some booze with you and lots of midge repellent. The
Gravel roads around Finmark and northen Sweden are fun watch out for reindeer ! they seem to like walking along the road and keep an eye out for moose there bloody massive but taste great on the barbecue have lots more info if you want just PM me.
wwdph02

Post by wwdph02 »

Going to Norway this June/July for 3 or 4 weeks and will take the gear I left at home in 2014. It was only when I got near Trondheim and read the motorcyclexport&leisure report did I understand why I should have read the advice before leaving my winter linings for coat and leggings at home was a mistake.
It wasn't too bad weather wise, only a couple of full wet days, but once you feel cold it will not get any warmer inside the many tunnels which stay cool all year round.
Take all the stuff you would want on a cold dry January day and a very wet day.
It was strange to ride in heavy rain with snow either side of the road but no feeling there was any ice or grip issues. Most roads are clean when it rains because the tarmac sits highest and rainwater washes off to the side, unlike many rural areas in UK where the fields empty mud and debris onto the roads.
Agree it can be expensive but campsites everywhere, English spoken, reception from Norwegians is fantastic. I had plenty of good local advice on where to ride and had a great time, so did everyone else I spoke to.
Now intend to try for all 3 arctic centres, Norway, Sweden and Finland which will get me as far as Alta, maybe Lofoten Island route on way north but have a look on youtube, plenty of trip reports. I know it seems a waste of money and time to go to Nordkapp, £20/25 entrance fee and even the Norwegians think it is a rip-off, food and drink is very dear there, but I guess once I am near I will also visit.
Mine was on this forum and makes my decision to return very easy.
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -2016.html
This is a new one with plenty of reasons why Norway is worth the travel to get there, good roads and so much lower levels of traffic
Good luck Dave

Attachments
P1000977.JPG
P1000977.JPG (51.83 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

As I have a copy of the John Douglas book "Norway's Arctic Highway- Mo I Rana to Kirkenes".
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/187375 ... ref=plSrch
I managed to map out the various routes in Mapsource/Basecamp, so maybe if I get chance I'll find them out & load em on Dropbox
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Why pay to go to Nordkapp when it isn't even the Northernmost point? A tourist trap full of campervans, motorhomes and tour buses! Do a Google search and go to the most Northerly point about 30k East of Nordkapp as the Norwegians do!

I went up via the Lake District in Finland and over to Norway in Finnmark going up via Rovaniemi. The most Northerly town is Gamvik, a former whaling outpost. I camped at Sletness lighthouse, the most Northerly lighthouse on the European landmass.

Wild Camping is legal as long as you are not in line of sight of anyone's house (not hard to accomplish). If the weather does turn grim, then stay in 'Hytte'; log cabins for hire with usually a gas hob, bed and toilet, think I paid around £25 a night on average.

A glass of wine or beer is around £12-£20 so you won't be drinking much! If you have won the lottery and can afford to have a few pints please be aware that for being over the limit (which is Zero) the starting point is 30 days free B&B courtesy of the local magistrate.

Fines for speeding are in the region of 800 Euros per Kilometre over the speed limit and yes, the police do carry Credit Card readers! I was stopped by a traffic cop on a GS, who was probably bored ( we were in the middle of nowhere) having checked my speed on his radar device (under the limit-why speed when the scenery is so stunning), alcohol level on the breathalyser and had a look at my tyres, got his flask out of the panniers and shared his coffee with me, can't see our finest sheriffs doing that somehow!

I loved Norway, I'd go again in a heartbeat! I took a months worth of dried pasta, rice etc in my panniers and supplemented it with local bread and cheese from the Co-op.

On your first petrol stop, use a Staatoil garage and buy their coffee mug, refills are then free for the rest of your trip, well worth it to warm up on colder days. They all sell hot sausages on a spit at most garages, reasonably cheap for a hot-dog type of snack/lunch.

As mentioned, take windproof mid-layers and consider an electric vest. Sunglasses are a must on the sunny days (you will get them!)

Ferries are cheap, state subsidised. The most I took was about 10 in one day, they are mostly 10 minute affairs.

Lofoten is not to be missed in my opinion.

You can be in low mist and drizzle, enter a tunnel and come out the other side into bright sunshine. The tunnels are amazing, some have roundabouts and junctions!

I went in early June to be up there for the 21st so too early for midges. Trying to sleep with bright sunshine coming through the tent all night was a pain so take a sleeping mask/blindfold thingy.

On the way back down I took the Hurtigruten for a couple of nights for a change and that was amazing, seeing the fjords close up. Raided the breakfast buffet and filled my panniers up with boiled eggs, tins of tuna, crab etc.

Lots of WW2 stuff up there obviously if that's your thing; the fjiord where the Turpitz was holed up was amazing-the RAF bomb holes are still to be seen all over the site, think they prevented her from sailing out into the North sea.

Most memorable place for me was the Saltstraumen Maelstrom whirlpool where, from a bridge you can see the tidal flow below where three fjords join forces. It would have been awesome to ride the boats playing below me.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I have a set of laminated Norwegian Motorcycle touring maps which might interest those considering going Norway to get hold of a copy, image: https://www.energica.no/_kart/norge/mc- ... 8202297428 ISBN:9788202297428
I bought these online from a bookseller in Norway http://www.cappelendammkart.no & paid 238.75 Norwegian Inc shipping. These double sided maps are roughly 7inch x 10inch in size and have loads of scenic routes highlighted
nerald

Post by nerald »

We did it last year via Greece so the long way round. Met up with Tim in Finland.
He did a bit of a video diary of the trip which can be found here.here.
RICK

Post by RICK »

Oh yes it can...
I was up there a few years ago and a friend was also that way, we missed each other by a couple of weeks he saw 20 deg and I saw 3 deg.
you will pay toll on to the island as well as off and on most mornings you will find a very nice police person with a breathalyzer so be aware when you are watching the midnight sun in the Kings room with a pint. I say room but its out side with a door on the left of the window, you will see when you get there.
Also if you go to the reception area you can get a very nice "SERTIFIKAT" which looks good on your wall. My mate missed this and is very envious.
Rick.
CAPTINBLOOD

Post by CAPTINBLOOD »

brill trip and bloody expensive
boatman

Post by boatman »

lankyrider wrote:When you say make sure your gear is in good order, what would you recommend with regard to warm/cold weather gear for a trip in May? I'm struggling to decide what range of clothing to take.
It's very likely that you will get some quite warm days ,and cold/wet
I wear my Klim badlands suit for this kind of trip as it is waterproof ,but also zips open in a lot of areas for the heat,so when it's cold/ layer up (edz merino under garments) gerbing heated jacket for when it's proper cold
It's just a question of covering all the bases
Oh and boots that are deffo waterproof and breathable make it much easier
lankyrider

Post by lankyrider »

Thanks guys. I think I've got that all covered then, and am not over-preparing. No heated vest but if it gets cold I stop and get a coffee I suppose!

Return to “TRAVEL”