expat does it meet the dream

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Rrat

Re: expat does it meet the dream

Post by Rrat »

AndyB wrote:Guy Martin just likes to chuck out little 'sound bites' to make himself look a bit of a rebel but he's quick enough to sell himself for nearly any project put in front of him. I wonder if he's forgotten that he put his toys out of the pram big time because he was penalised for speeding in the pit lane at the TT :laugh:
I think had I put my life on the line on the TT course, and been denied a win on a technicality I too would have thrown some toys. However rules are rules.

Now, let us not digress from the subject matter. Keep the stories/experiences/views coming. Thanking you in advance.
bristolsaint

Re: expat does it meet the dream

Post by bristolsaint »

We recently moved from England to the heart of tourist Spain and are managing to strike a balance between the 2 countries. We are busy learning Spanish with twice-weekly lessons and lots of homework. We shop in local shops, eating what the Spanish eat and will be doing a Spanish cookery class soon. We (I) also want access to English speakers as my Spanish is very poor atm and I enjoy going to an English bar to watch the football and talking bollox with other expats and tourists, many of whom have a fantasy to move here too.

We clock up 100s of kms on our Spanish bought GS, exploring Andalucia, taking photographs, eating in small village cafes where we amuse the locals with our dire pronunciation, although they seem to appreciate the effort. Driving is interesting. Cars have indicators for purely decorative purposes. They perform no other function. A minute gap is there to be filled, so don't be surprised when it is. If you don't fill the gap, the bloke behind will lean on his horn to tell you to get a move on.

It's not all sunshine and cheap beer though. We pay £1,000 each for private health care. We don't work and aren't of pension age so private health care is the only way to get a resident card. Spanish bureaucracy is astonishing at times, but it is their country, their rules, so suck it up and get on with it. After a year we can buy into state health care.

Is it a permanent move? Who knows. We don't. If we don't want to settle here, we'll move on, but not back to UK for a while. There are so many places we want to see and early retirement has given us the opportunity. We have a house in UK rented out as a safety net. Are we glad we did it? Oh yes!

Return to “TRAVEL”