expat does it meet the dream

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
AndyB

Re: expat does it meet the dream

Post by AndyB »

Guy Martin just likes to chuck out little 'sound bites' to make himself look a bit of a rebel but he's quick enough to sell himself for nearly any project put in front of him. I wonder if he's forgotten that he put his toys out of the pram big time because he was penalised for speeding in the pit lane at the TT :laugh:
heavy

Post by heavy »

in Normandy, love it forever
gbags

Post by gbags »

My story seems a little different from most.

I left England in my 20's to go overland to Nepal. All I wanted was adventure and girls.
I settled in the Far East and taught English for 16 years, 15 of them in my own school. (No higher education, I blagged it and forged a degree). If you have a positive attitude and a smile on your face you'll be fine in Asia.

I'd married a local girl out there and had a couple of kids but sold up and moved back to the UK to school them when the kids were 4 and 6. Started a bizz here.

The crucial thing is that I'd gone out there looking FOR something, rather than running AWAY from something. I liked England, I just wanted to get out and see the world.

Now my kids are at uni, we're in our 50's and wondering where to spend the next few years. Asia, Romania, Africa?

My observations?
Learn the lingo.
Make friends both with expats and locals. (It's hard to have a meaningful discussion when your local language is rudimentary and it's great to rave about your national rugby/football/whatever team with a couple of mates, over some beers. Just like men and women need to get out and natter with their own sex sometimes, expats need to mingle with decent expats ocessionally.)

Rent out your English place and rent something abroad. English rents are high and the purchase price is high. It's very hard to sell up and come back five years later to the same level and location. Plus you can walk away any time you want. Financial downturn, work dries up, Spanish government declares your purchase illegal, grandchildren or sickness turn up? Who cares. Give them a month's notice and walk away.
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Most expats are looking for a better lifestyle but I always find the ones who say they couldn't live another minute in the UK because it's all so terrible are hard work. Everything that's happening in the UK is happening in France and Spain but generally not in the parts that Brits move to.

Edit: and most don't integrate or learn the language to a level that they know what is going on.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Agree with a lot of that gbags ...."mingle with decent expats ocessionally" VERY OCCASIONALLY IMHO

I've found the 3 "Rs" out here, Retired, Runners and Realists (thumbs)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

gbags wrote:My story seems a little different from most.

I left England in my 20's to go overland to Nepal. All I wanted was adventure and girls.
I settled in the Far East and taught English for 16 years, 15 of them in my own school. (No higher education, I blagged it and forged a degree). If you have a positive attitude and a smile on your face you'll be fine in Asia.

I'd married a local girl out there and had a couple of kids but sold up and moved back to the UK to school them when the kids were 4 and 6. Started a bizz here.

The crucial thing is that I'd gone out there looking FOR something, rather than running AWAY from something. I liked England, I just wanted to get out and see the world.

Now my kids are at uni, we're in our 50's and wondering where to spend the next few years. Asia, Romania, Africa?

My observations?
Learn the lingo.
Make friends both with expats and locals. (It's hard to have a meaningful discussion when your local language is rudimentary and it's great to rave about your national rugby/football/whatever team with a couple of mates, over some beers. Just like men and women need to get out and natter with their own sex sometimes, expats need to mingle with decent expats ocessionally.)

Rent out your English place and rent something abroad. English rents are high and the purchase price is high. It's very hard to sell up and come back five years later to the same level and location. Plus you can walk away any time you want. Financial downturn, work dries up, Spanish government declares your purchase illegal, grandchildren or sickness turn up? Who cares. Give them a month's notice and walk away.
Well done,10/10 for going for it (thumbs)
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

In Portugal a few years ago the Prime minister was honest enough to go on live TV and address the people, and especially the younger generation. He stated that the economy was in such a mess and the best thing the young nationals could do was leave the country for several years and seek employment elsewhere, as there was no prospects for them in Portugal for the foreseeable future.
heavy

Post by heavy »

Peirre wrote:In Portugal a few years ago the Prime minister was honest enough to go on live TV and address the people, and especially the younger generation. He stated that the economy was in such a mess and the best thing the young nationals could do was leave the country for several years and seek employment elsewhere, as there was no prospects for them in Portugal for the foreseeable future.

the uk government could learn a lesson here, about telling the truth
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I doubt all those darling Creseda's and Tarquins hanging around the street corners of uk cities will take the hint and leave
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Here's my ten penneth, I left the UK about 12 years ago guiding offroad tours in Turkey and spent the best part of 9 years there. The mistake I made was getting to involved with the locals and buying a house in a tourist town. We now live in Bulgaria and have not made the same mistake again. This time we have a house in the mountains and I don't get involve with locals at all. It is possible to live here without learning the language, and I have no intention of starting. But for me it's all about the freedom, here I can do ride anywhere any time. I can walk the dogs anywhere without a lead, we can wild camp and just get on with our lives. Occasionally I meet ex pats and most are trying to relive their holiday every week, drinking and sitting by the pool. Sad to see, a lot end up has alcoholics.
Why did I leave the uk.......well I had £10k worth of tools stolen and then a bad crash on the 950, the police did n't give a shite about either. But in the end it was the freedom of the offroad riding here and in Turkey.

Return to “TRAVEL”