expat does it meet the dream

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveW

Re: expat does it meet the dream

Post by SteveW »

Africa John wrote:
SteveW wrote:I'll tell you what's great about being born British and working here
Is that born and working in the UK Steve?
Yes, should have said born British and earning your living in Britain.
P.S
Rep. Ireland ain't bad either!
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Must admit now I'm 51 and able to retire at 55 (40% pension hit) or 60 (18% pension hit) and not 67 like Mr Osborne wants (bastard!!) the lure of living on mainland Europe and being able to travel the continent without ferries appeals and the missus loves the sun ....... BUT ...... starting a family late at 40 means two kids of 7 and 10 have to be factored in.

Why isn't life simple?
skipper

Post by skipper »

Africa John wrote:Must admit now I'm 51 and able to retire at 55 (40% pension hit) or 60 (18% pension hit) and not 67 like Mr Osborne wants (bastard!!) the lure of living on mainland Europe and being able to travel the continent without ferries appeals and the missus loves the sun ....... BUT ...... starting a family late at 40 means two kids of 7 and 10 have to be factored in.

Why isn't life simple?
John I have relatives living in spain who's kids go to an english school with english Gcse's they speak fluent spanish and english like they have come out of Eaton.
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

We moved out to the Costa Calida 15 months ago. Don't regret a single day. Great life, great culture and most of all great biking both on and off road. I will never choose to come back to the UK but I'm fully aware that you don't always have a choice in life. Mind you, if it doesn't work out here then we will just go somewhere else because you're a long time looking at the lid!
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I have 2 friends who have homes in Spain, one is living full time near Finestrat with his 2nd wife and 6yr old step daughter. Having moved down last year, his 6yr old is now settling into Spanish school, and he's learning the lingo.
The other guy is a part timer with a place at arboleas who like the lady mentioned previously, is vermently anti Europe
MR X

Post by MR X »

I moved to France 12 years ago , gave up On the Uk sold every thing
and made the move Not knowing what I was going to do .
With the dream of not working so hard in France :laugh: :laugh:

Well I work harder, enjoy life so much more and have so many lanes to play on and have work in front of me for a year or more.
Lost the wife 2 years in and have never looked back .

No HSE (thumbs) (thumbs) and no one telling you, you can not ride hear (thumbs)

Have seen lots of people come and give France a go, some have made it some have gone back.

Would I go back , You never know what life will spin you , as long as I can get by then NEVER in this life time .
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I've got a plan all worked out.

In 2 years i will have cleared all my debts and have enough for a 25% deposit in Spain. I will get myself a ten year mortgage and work hard until it's all gone.

My lady in 8 years time will move out to Spain to live in my place and rent her house out to pay for her to live on.

I will join her as soon as the mortgage is paid off but before that i'd be there every other weekend.

My brother has lived in the south of France for 30 years so i know what life can be like in that part of the world.

But for now it's head down and earn money...i really do hate what i do for a living but it allows me to do what i want when i'm not at work and it will build me a good future.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Mike101 wrote:I've got a plan all worked out.

In 2 years i will have cleared all my debts and have enough for a 25% deposit in Spain. I will get myself a ten year mortgage and work hard until it's all gone.

My lady in 8 years time will move out to Spain to live in my place and rent her house out to pay for her to live on.
IMO I think that plan isn't a good one, with too many what if factors.
Travelling to/from Spain every other weekend will limit your potential to earn overtime, not to mention the costs involved even if flying low cost. A 25% deposit seems low, & taking on debt for a holiday home isn't my ideal scenario, and occupancy rates for uk rental properties arn't 100% so relying on it to pay the bills is a recipe for trouble
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Peirre wrote:
Mike101 wrote:I've got a plan all worked out.

IMO I think that plan isn't a good one, with too many what if factors.
Travelling to/from Spain every other weekend will limit your potential to earn overtime, not to mention the costs involved even if flying low cost. A 25% deposit seems low, & taking on debt for a holiday home isn't my ideal scenario, and occupancy rates for uk rental properties arn't 100% so relying on it to pay the bills is a recipe for trouble
I agree but i'm lucky enough to be able to afford it. I'm an IT contractor and earn OK with lots of time off if i want it.

Where my lady's house is in Southampton will rent in a second for good money....one of the best streets in town...and she will own it all by then so she has no need to get a high rent to pay her own mortgage.

It own't be debt for a holiday home but me investing my money into something that i will eventually own outright and live in.

She and i also have good pensions so we will be OK. Basically in 12 years i want to own outright my own place in Spain and have her place here in the UK. I will work for as long as i can/want to.

Bring it on i say.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Of course if the UK leaves the EU - which is far from unlikely - then any right a UK citizen has to permanently settle in an EU country without having to apply for a residency visa will disappear...

Return to “TRAVEL”