expat does it meet the dream

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
600+

Re: expat does it meet the dream

Post by 600+ »

I left Greece and came to the UK 16 years ago. As a Greek who sees British expats in Greece I think you need to define your expectations and then run them by a local or realist to see if they would/could actually be met.

Personally I would never go back home to live and/or retire! But that's because my expectations are not being met.

At the same time if you have no expectations other than sun, sea, food and drink...there are thousands of places on the planet that would satisfy these needs.

Just be clear and ready to accept a different culture and way of doing things.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

11 years now SW France and i'll not be going back to the UcK soon , don't get me wrong it aint all roseie but ask anyone who's been to our place what lifes like B) not tomention the trails (thumbs)
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I don't wish to sound negative, but its only after the rose tinted specs of the honeymoon period come off after you've moved there does the reality of your decision kick in, as financially IMO it isn't a good time to retire somewhere unless your extremely well off. I know several people who headed off to Spain etc in the hight of the boom years, spent their nest egg on a home/bar hoping to make a new life. With various pensions coming in they managed to get by. But with the downturn in Europes economy, work/income that they relied upon to get by has dried up forcing them to rethink their game plan. A few have had to throw in the towel, sell up at a loss and return to Blighty because they didn't have a plan B to fall back on. Health & mobility issues are another consideration, especially in later life.
Would I make the move...possibly, but only to somewhere there isn't an expat community. As I consider that my worse nightmare. ATM I'm fortunate that the area (in Portugal) I'd consider making the move to doesn't have (non native) English speaking locals. Despite many locals under the age of 30yrs being fluent in English. But that's down to the education system there teaching it in schools.
steve172

Post by steve172 »

I haven't got any experience on this to offer, but I suspect this decision will be down to each individual and the reality of it may not necessarily be for you, like it is for some. There is, however, only one way to find out, and that is to try it. (thumbs)

Good luck, if that's what you decide to do.
petecam

Post by petecam »

Had to chuckle on Radio 5 the other day.

They were interviewing ex pats in Spain about Britain leaving the EU.

One of them said she wanted Britain to leave because there were too many immigrants !!

The presenter pulled her up on the fact she was an immigrant in Spain but apparently she is OK because she spends her pension there. :ohmy:

But as the others said good luck if you go and maybe have a backup plan to come back to the UK, just in case........
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

absolutely spot on
steve
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

scubabiker wrote:left the uk 3-4 years ago and moved to the best country on the planet (officially yes!) norway.
As of today it's Denmark! :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

skipper wrote:Many on here are reaching an age where we are coming close to retirement or just suffering from winter blues and think leaving our fair land for a life in other countries. To those who have made (or thinking of) this move and there does seem to be a fair few in this site, has it met your expectations and where do you consider the best place to escape to is.Or is it a case of the grass is greener on the other side.
You shouldn't emigrate to 'escape' anything...you've got to really want to go to the place you're heading for, not be leaving here because you have ideas about the UK put into your brain by the Daily Mail. Otherwise you'll be back in the UK within three years as 80+% of British expats are.

You've got to have a PURPOSE, too. wherever you rock up in the world. Some sunshine and a mountain/sea view don't cut it after a short while. The human brain needs to be challenged and occupied. Key to this is learning the local language if not English.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I'll tell you what's great about being born British and working here.
If you work hard you'll be rewarded, you'll be educated and medically provided for, you'll live under a fair and democratic goverment.
Then, if you want to make a move out of the country, just flash your British passport and off you go (kind of) with your aquired income, Heath and education.
Try doing that if you were born in Africa, South America, Central America, The Middle East, India, Pakistan, Russia, Eastern Europe, The Philippines China etc......
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

SteveW wrote:I'll tell you what's great about being born British and working here
Is that born and working in the UK Steve?

Return to “TRAVEL”