Uttarakhand India. ..help..

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Radzz

Uttarakhand India. ..help..

Post by Radzz »

My buddy and me are going to be in India at the start of April and will be renting a couple of bikes (motorized!) for a week. We're heading out of Dehli and into the Himalayan area of uttarakhand. Has anybody any experience or info in this area that they could help us out with? ....:-)
Redmurty

Re: Uttarakhand India. ..help..

Post by Redmurty »

I will be in Kathmandu on the 17th but it's my first visit so I'm playing it by ear

sorry I can't help with any updates except the petrol situation seems to have resolved itself.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

I'm sure there's a few experienced folk here than can help but it might be worth looking/asking on the HUBB SE Asia forum.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Only drink bottled water and check the cap is sealed when you go to open it, same goes for any other drinks, beer etc.
If you get the shits or sickness or feel really crook, get medical help to sort it. Don't think it will go away on its own. Sickness is very common and medics know how to deal with the most common complaints. I was doing a touring trip with a group. Covered a lot of places. Dehli then all the usual tourist cities and sights before heading up to Shimla and the hills. Every single person got sick, some quite seriously and bed ridden. I came back with E-coli, feeling dead rough and pissing claret. laid me off work for six months. The medication used to give me cracking head aches. The week before I was due to start work again, had a mini stroke. As a result of this I decided moved my plans forward to retire early.

Do not go into the rivers near or downstream of any populated area. There are a billion people in India and about a million toilets. Work it out for yourself. Don't eat dodgy buffet food or food that you are not certain has been cooked fresh. Dehli main station smells like one big urinal. Mind you most of the stations do. Don't even think of using any public toilet that you may find, I laughed when my wife and tour guide tried to use one, I did warn them. :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: Crap plastered up the walls.

I considered myself a pretty experienced traveller, worked a lot in Taiwan, travelled a lot around China, Malaysia, Thailand, Sri-Lanka, Tunisia, all of Europe except Norway and Sweden. Even ended up in a 3rd world hospital once, people laid out on the floor, blood, shit and puke wherever you looked. Managed to get out after a couple of days with help from Chinese friends, laid up in a hotel until I was strong enough to move again. That time laid me out for weeks, Thought I was a dead ducked that time.

India is by far the dodgiest place I have come across for picking up bugs. There is no concept of Hygiene standards in many areas. You will see some interesting sights. But be careful, ride safe, watch out for the mad traffic and don't take unnecessary risks.

PS, 2 years on and I'm still on a low dose antibiotics.

PPS, Sorry if this is not what you wanted in terms of advice. Anyway, Ride, safe stay clean, eat safe and you will have a fine old time. (thumbs)
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

daytona-supersport wrote:Only drink bottled water and check the cap is sealed when you go to open it, same goes for any other drinks, beer etc.
If you get the shits or sickness or feel really crook, get medical help to sort it. Don't think it will go away on its own. Sickness is very common and medics know how to deal with the most common complaints. I was doing a touring trip with a group. Covered a lot of places. Dehli then all the usual tourist cities and sights before heading up to Shimla and the hills. Every single person got sick, some quite seriously and bed ridden. I came back with E-coli, feeling dead rough and pissing claret. laid me off work for six months. The medication used to give me cracking head aches. The week before I was due to start work again, had a mini stroke. As a result of this I decided moved my plans forward to retire early.

Do not go into the rivers near or downstream of any populated area. There are a billion people in India and about a million toilets. Work it out for yourself. Don't eat dodgy buffet food or food that you are not certain has been cooked fresh. Dehli main station smells like one big urinal. Mind you most of the stations do. Don't even think of using any public toilet that you may find, I laughed when my wife and tour guide tried to use one, I did warn them. :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: Crap plastered up the walls.

I considered myself a pretty experienced traveller, worked a lot in Taiwan, travelled a lot around China, Malaysia, Thailand, Sri-Lanka, Tunisia, all of Europe except Norway and Sweden. Even ended up in a 3rd world hospital once, people laid out on the floor, blood, shit and puke wherever you looked. Managed to get out after a couple of days with help from Chinese friends, laid up in a hotel until I was strong enough to move again. That time laid me out for weeks, Thought I was a dead ducked that time.

India is by far the dodgiest place I have come across for picking up bugs. There is no concept of Hygiene standards in many areas. You will see some interesting sights. But be careful, ride safe, watch out for the mad traffic and don't take unnecessary risks.

PS, 2 years on and I'm still on a low dose antibiotics.

PPS, Sorry if this is not what you wanted in terms of advice. Anyway, Ride, safe stay clean, eat safe and you will have a fine old time. (thumbs)
So, did you have a good time mate ? :unsure:
daytona-supersport

Quote:
So, did you have a good time mate ?
:S

Er. Let's just say, I'm not planning to go back there any time soon. :laugh: :laugh:
wwdph02

Post by wwdph02 »

I had 3 weeks in Pune, never had any problems except cutting open my foot on a bathroom door-stop but chemist across the road from the hotel sorted it. Bandage, plaster, iodine cream, cotton wool (I think I was definitely going to need a bank loan if in uk) and still spent less than £3 for 'repairs'.
I only ate in hotel, cafe or any large food establishments, shopping malls etc. Only exception was with a local on a day out and ate where he did.
One of the group was 'ill nearly every day' and was the biggest PITA telling everyone each day his 'toilet problems' Really pissed everyone off, especially near the end of the trip he states he "never eats out in England" because he has stomach issues? He would report India as a bad place but not the rest of us. Ate all the things I wanted, even the stuff you shouldn't - ice cream, rice without illness.
Go and have a great time.
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

Radzz wrote:My buddy and me are going to be in India at the start of April and will be renting a couple of bikes (motorized!) for a week. We're heading out of Dehli and into the Himalayan area of uttarakhand. Has anybody any experience or info in this area that they could help us out with? ....:-)
If you've never ridden in India then it certainly will be an experience!

Forget everything you think you know about riding a bike.

Forget everything you think you know about road usage and rules.

Now we've got those pesky things out of the way.

Assume nothing. Don't assume anything at all apart from the fact you have no idea what anybody is going to do, or might even do on the road. More importantly, don't assume what they will not do, or might not do.

Make sure the horn works. And it is LOUD.

And use it.

There ya go....... (thumbs)

And don't drive at night...... for there the way to madness lies........ :silly: :woohoo:

(I'm going for a lie down as the PTSD has kicked back in........)

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
daytona-supersport

Radzz wrote:My buddy and me are going to be in India at the start of April and will be renting a couple of bikes (motorized!) for a week. We're heading out of Dehli and into the Himalayan area of uttarakhand. Has anybody any experience or info in this area that they could help us out with? ....:-)
Be sure to let us know how you get on.
Have a fun and interesting trip. (thumbs)
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

No experience of Uttarakhand I'm afraid (why are you going there, what is drawing you to it?) but the next state north Himachel Pradesh is beltin'. See my signature for a link to my blog last year of a trip to the Indian Himalaya. I can highly recommend the guys at http://www.motorcycleexpeditions.com/ based in Manali for bike hire and guides

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net

Return to “TRAVEL”