John o' Groats

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
skulkerboyo

John o' Groats

Post by skulkerboyo »

Heya
I'll be in John o' Groats (hopefully) in late April and will of course need to get back to the South West.

I'lll happily faff about in Scotland for a day then camp and hit the motorways once I'm in England.

I'm sure some of the roads in Scotland are amazing. Any suggestions for a route back into England that's interesting (not off-road interesting)and takes about a day? Any must see roads?
Mike101

Re: John o' Groats

Post by Mike101 »

Heading south take the A82 from Inverness to Glasgow.

I think most on here will agree it's a cracking ride through some nice places...and it's not a slow road so you can cover ground easily if you wish.

Longer than the A9 but very worth it.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
wwdph02

Post by wwdph02 »

If you want a route south from Glasgow get to Ayr, then Dumfries to Gretna Green back to Carlisle is a way south I've used.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Take the A82 Glasgow-Inverness in one direction(April's about the best time for that road before it gets too busy) and the A96/A939/A93 Inverness-Nairn-Grantown-Tomintoul-Braemar-Perth in the other.The scenery might not be as spectacular but a more fun road than the A82 imo. (thumbs)
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Johnnys Scrotes - Why bother. It's a tourist trap s**t'ole, no offence ! :whistle:

I guess if you've never been before it's tick - tick of what, tick of been to John O'Groats tic. It's not northernmost, eastern most nor nowt. It's a marketing ploy with a sign.

Why not bimble a few miles West to Dunnet Head. Nice road & actually the Lighthouse, if you stand North of it and it's not busy, for a brief time at least you can say "I'm the most northerly person on mainland Britain" ... A much better claim to fame IMHO just a suggestion :blink:

Chrz Mul.

Dunnet
DSCF0047_2016-02-25.JPG
DSCF0047_2016-02-25.JPG (66.01 KiB) Viewed 1634 times

... and being the hypocrite I am :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
DSCF0037.JPG
DSCF0037.JPG (38.03 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
skulkerboyo

Post by skulkerboyo »

Ha

Nice shots

I'll end up there as part of a charity ride I'm involved in.

Looks like Dunnets head is only 25 minutes from Jog - I'll do it!

A82 has been mentioned a lot. I'm bearing in mind this will be a bank holiday weekend Saturday that I'll be riding south - Hopefully everyone is heading the other way!
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Grantown-on-Spey, Braemar, Pitlochry, Kenmore, Killin, Callander, Aberfoyle is another good route.

But its Scotland-you are spoilt for choice
geordy paul

Post by geordy paul »

Is it just the England bit?
If your heading to the south west I'll guess your aiming for the M6?
If so, head for the A7,will take you all the way from near Edinburgh to Carlisle.
Or the Edinburgh to Moffat road, Moffat to St Mary"s loch and over the small roads
via Eskdalemuir and the Samyling buddhist monastary (great cafe) to Longtown
and to the M6 at Carlisle.
threepot

Post by threepot »

I quite enjoyed the A9 A99 fro Inverness up to Wick. I suppose you've got to do JOG,just to say you've been there. Then across to Tonque,then the A836 back to Lairg was good. But watch for low flying deer! Ask Spud! :P
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

JOG isn't all bad, you can buy tea and cake there!

I was fairly underwhelmed when I went there.
And the second time.....

Return to “TRAVEL”