Swiss Vignette help

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Nixy

Swiss Vignette help

Post by Nixy »

Can anyone help ?

In June I will be riding south east through Switzerland via the Fluelapass from Liechtenstein towards Mals in Italy.

I have had various people telling me I need a Swiss Vignette costing 40CHF. As I wont be on any motorways Does this apply ? Can anyone help ?
Multirider

Re: Swiss Vignette help

Post by Multirider »

Hi

I as understand it the vignette as only the motorway, - but missing motorways is hard in Switzerland, as they seem to just appear!
The only thing the blues is afraid of is the pipes........

BMW G650GS

Suzuki DRZ400E

Jeep Cherokee 3.7 petrol

Mercedes CLK 320 Cabriolet - It's Summer!
RandG

Post by RandG »

Done the swiss alps three times now, never bought a Vignette yet :whistle: (thumbs)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

We've been Switzerland 3 times and have never had a Vignette. However, despite planning to avoid the Autoroute I have always found myself on it by mistake and frantically trying to get off without getting caught. There are alternative routes to avoid using the Autoroutes but I've found them to be difficult to follow, packed with town traffic and very frustrating with the constant stop/start at traffic lights-Interlaken can be a nightmare and further around the Lake there are constant reduced speed limits for miles.
I would probably buy a Vignette, put it under the seat and sell it on when you get back, although that is not legal.

The Vignette for Austria is only 4 Euros for 10 days so not a biggy if you go that way and need one.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

I go to Switzerland quite a lot & always buy one .
As for buying one and putting it under the seat would still get you a fine if you get caught as the vignette has to be fixed to the vehicle & visible .
A friend of mine who travels by car sticks his vignette to some cling film which will then stick to the windowscreen . when he returns he sells it on to someone else .
If you do decide to buy one look up tollticket.com .

Ian.
Andysr6

Post by Andysr6 »

Been several times and have never bought one
hornet

Post by hornet »

clutchspring wrote:I go to Switzerland quite a lot & always buy one .
As for buying one and putting it under the seat would still get you a fine if you get caught as the vignette has to be fixed to the vehicle & visible .
A friend of mine who travels by car sticks his vignette to some cling film which will then stick to the windowscreen . when he returns he sells it on to someone else .
If you do decide to buy one look up tollticket.com .

Ian.
Thats interesting we spent about 10 days there in 2014 and rode all over so bought one each, and another Swiss guy on a bike was in the petrol station as we got them from (only maybe a mile from the boarder) he came over and told us don't stick them to the bike put them on the inside of a pannier lid as somebody might take them. He also said the fine for not having one was 200 chf or there abouts and the police were very hot on it. Mind you most of the places we went we never saw any police. But at 2.5 chf a day Id pay every time who needs to be worrying about it ?? Id rather be too busy enjoying the ride and the scenery
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Rangoonruns

Post by Rangoonruns »

buy one and affix to clear screen protector for a mobile phone (thumbs)
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

I did Switzerland last year and avoided motorways, never again. it made England,s roads look empty. You end up sitting in constant traffic in really low speed limits.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

My 1st vignette I managed to sell on eBay, the 2nd the following year eBay stopped me selling it, stating its a violation of the selling terms. I argued that other euro eBay site allow you to sell them, but eBay UK wouldn't have it.

Return to “TRAVEL”