Campsites in Normandy

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Pauln

Campsites in Normandy

Post by Pauln »

We are off to Normandy next month on the bikes, will be doing the D-Day beaches bit amongst others. I've been trawling through the forums and interweb, there's a lot of places to stay out there :dry: Does anyone have any recommendations for biker/family campsites or gites/guesthouses/lodges. Or indeed any particular places/roads/easy trails we should add to the ever growing list :ohmy:

Paul
desertraider

Re: Campsites in Normandy

Post by desertraider »

hi here is a link i used to find camp sites , its good got lots of info prices etc most have gps info http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe ... normandie/
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Good site, thanks. Er mods you might want to move this into the right forum heading. I really shouldn't be watching Queens of the Stone Age at Glastonbury and playing on laptop at the same time. Wasn't Beyonce.......honest :whistle:
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

The Omaha Beach site is quite good, or at least it was about 10 years ago, they are a bit officious though so make sure you're off the site by 12 on your day of departure.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Thanks Peter. We are likely to head there, seems to get good reviews. Have you camped anywhere else there or past St Malo way?
Paul.
SIF

Post by SIF »

Just outside Ranville is a small camp site which is very friendly. Camping de Ranville ? I think its the only one so you cant miss it. It's about a 2 minute ride from Pegasus bridge which is a must, along with the museum, and there is a half decent cafe/brasserie 10 minute walk away. Breakfast at the cafe is top coffee and croissant.:)
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Thanks SIF
We are going to the Pegasus Bridge so just the info I'm after.
Paul
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

I'm sure I've heard other good reports about that one SIF
Pauln wrote:Thanks Peter. We are likely to head there, seems to get good reviews. Have you camped anywhere else there or past St Malo way?
Paul.
We usually did the Cherbourg Crossing then either round to Omaha Beach or one of the many sites just south of Granville, St Pair sur Mer or the like. This was a fave. http://angomesnil.pagesperso-orange.fr/index.html I prefer smaller sites to the big busy non stop barbeque disco dancing at 2am places though. And it's a nice ride out to St Malo and Mont St Michelle from there, both of which are essential visits.

Further round past St Malo there are a host of good sites that I just can't remember the names of at the mo, it's been many years since we were that far round. Erqui was ok as far as I recall.

If you're heading to Brittany, you could do worse than to make a base camp here http://www.brittanytourism.com/accommod ... e-d-argent Huelgoat is a nice little town and you've some great roads to explore toward Brest, Quimper etc. V twisty/hilly rural. Not much traffic. But it's well past St Malo obviously, you're talking about a two part or touring holiday if you head that way.

You could easily spend four or five days paying your respects to the Alied Landing Memorials and visiting Bayeux, One day on Mont St Michelle, One day in St Malo, the old town is fantastic and the Aquarium is worth a couple of hours. Then strike out for Brittany for the second week. That's what I'd be doing if I went back there. HTH
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Thanks Peter
We have got about 8 days, we'll see where we get to.
Paul
desert storm

Post by desert storm »

On a recent tour around the area a group of us off the Super Tenere site stayed at Pete & Rustys (www.peteandrusty.com).
Nice quiet place set up for bikers with gite, caravans & camping space plus bar & covered dining area.
Its near Gorron in the Mayenne area so a bit of a trek from the beaches but would thoroughly recommend it if you're heading that way.
OTT3 052.jpg
OTT3 052.jpg (83.5 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
OTT3 001.jpg
OTT3 001.jpg (75.14 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
"You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down.."

"What desert?"

"Doesn't make any difference what desert, it's completely hypothetical"

"Then how come i'd be there?"

"Maybe you're fed up, maybe you wanna be by yourself, who knows?"

BLADE RUNNER, 1982

Return to “TRAVEL”