Canaries, Recommendations?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveR

Re: Canaries, Recommendations?

Post by SteveR »

sprintster wrote:I haven't used these guys but they do mopeds,scooters and XR125's as well as larger bikes.I think last year there was a 50% discount in winter.
www.espacomilenio.com
Had a quote today from these folks. €55/day for a CBF500. Sounds pretty cheap to me... Pure roadster, but OK for all that. (thumbs) Not checked on accident damage insurance etc.

€900 deposit!!!!! :pinch:
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

SteveR wrote:
sprintster wrote:I haven't used these guys but they do mopeds,scooters and XR125's as well as larger bikes.I think last year there was a 50% discount in winter.
www.espacomilenio.com
Had a quote today from these folks. €55/day for a CBF500. Sounds pretty cheap to me... Pure roadster, but OK for all that. (thumbs) Not checked on accident damage insurance etc.

€900 deposit!!!!! :pinch:
I did think about going for that but I thought if a 650 struggled a bit a 500 would be hopeless.I've just looked though and the Honda has 10hp more than the BMW! :pinch:
Nevermind,my whole holiday is paid with tips from work so easy come,easy go! (thumbs)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Moorso wrote:Am extremely jealous.

But...my Dad has a place in Tenerife and we go quite often, so this is the island I have most experience of.

There are a plethora of bike hire places about, literally on most streets, but I would agree with other sentiments on here to head into the interiors of the respective islands (once the bike is hired, get out of the tourist spots!) - often the mountaneous areas. But in the likes of Tenerife there are conservation and forest parks here, and on the north of the island.

The other thing to remember is that there are frequent ferry sailings between the islands, so you are not necessarily limited to one island. The most common is the Fred Olsen between Tenerife and Gran Caneria, although La Gomera and El Hero can also be accessed by this.
Well, Madam had decided she does not want to go back to Madeira "been there, why would I want to go back..?" In the interests of a calm and placid relationship (and a Holiday) I have agreed with her viewpoint.... :whistle:

So, Tenerife it is. (thumbs) Probably in the North away from the hustle and bustle !! Moorso, it sounds like you are a bit of an expert with local knowledge, have you come across anyone offering a trail bike for hire with maybe some riding included? I've found a reasonably priced company in Puerto de la Cruz, Versys around €75/day, which seems reasonable.

I do like the idea of maybe popping across to GC if time allowed, but 7 days makes it doubtful!
Moorso

Post by Moorso »

Hi Steve

There are bike hire shops on just about every street in both Los Cristianos and Playa Las Americas - we tend to stay in and around Los Cristianos, and I know there are two near the main Square (Av Los Playeros) and having had a look in their windows (dribbling on myself) they have F800GS's and the like, but I can't recall seeing smaller machines capable of off-roading or trail riding. Your find of a Versys for that price sounds pretty good, I seem to remember the prices in more touristy areas being much higher than that.

Not sure if it's your bag, but came across these guys: 365 Motocross and even if you're not using them, they might be worthwhile contacting to find out information on the best roads.

I know that if you buy a map of Tenerife, the brown roads on the mountain areas are passable ('off-road' roads).

As for the other islands - the ferry from Cristianos to Gran Caneria leaves twice daily in the peak season, there's a surprising number of people commute between the islands. Details can be found here: Fred Olsen

Sorry I couldn't be more help than that, it's not something I've done, hence my envy. But I know that the National Park is drivable - and the north side of the island is definitely better than the south for a less touristy and more rugged vibe.

Sorry for my lack of info!

Have a ball though.....and please let me know ride reports etc when you get back!!
YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Hi Moorso, thanks for that great advice and the link to the MX stuff. I have been told by a neighbour that there is/was some trail riding going on a couple of Winters ago, so I will investigate further when I get there!

I've popped the Island into my satnav and GPS so a few suggestions there, but the Map is a must I suspect. Great tip on the "brown roads" (thumbs)

I checked the ferries and probably a bit on the pricey side for a daytrip option I felt, but perfect if over there for a few weeks though.

RR will follow when I get there.... ;)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Booked up for Tenerife on the 17th January, bike will be booked next week to be waiting on the Tuesday morning to allow a full day for Madam to acclimatise. Will take some riding kit as I have booked an extra few kg allowance for a helmet and jacket. Will wear bike jeans and boots onto the plane...

Had a check on Best Biking Roads, my routing bible and it looks good, VERY good. Roads

Trail riding seems a bit of a fantasy and probably is probably best avoided in the interests of domestic and marital harmony! ;)

There is always Shropshire in February when I come back.... Brrr
Moorso

Post by Moorso »

Happy days....enjoy Steve (thumbs)
YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Let us know how it goes,I'm thinking I might try Tenerife next winter. (thumbs)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Get a yellow one. Any other colour wouldn't be quite right.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

daveuprite wrote:Get a yellow one. Any other colour wouldn't be quite right.
Shudder!! :whistle:

Return to “TRAVEL”