Russia 2018

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Kurt September

Re: Russia 2018

Post by Kurt September »

Hardest part first, though I'm informed that there is road/track all the way now. Once I've done the sums I want the journey to get more comfortable nearer I get to home. Everything is still in the 'planning & sums' stage at the moment.
geordy paul

Post by geordy paul »

Tonibe63 wrote:
Kurt September wrote:I'm thinking of riding across Russia in a couple of years time. I want to ship my bike to the east and ride back to the UK. I'm gathering info at the moment and would like to hear from anyone who has already done it, best time of year, problems, petrol availability etc etc. Thanks in advance

Sorry can't help with info but I was wondering why you are shipping out and riding back as opposed to riding out and shipping back?
Wondering the same, I think it would be less hassle, Russians can be awkward.
As for petrol etc, not an issue, plenty to be had everywhere. May be less if you are planning on doing the road of bones. But even then shouldn't be a worry.
Paul.
Paul_XRV750

Post by Paul_XRV750 »

Main drag across Russia is generally ok. There are always sections of road works where typically a temporary dirt track will be available skirting round the works for a few km.
If you wander off to explore, roads can get pretty rough. My experience was from 2014 riding
from Ulan-ude back to Moscow.

If you get a bit adventurous and wander down the side roads it gets like this

skipper

Post by skipper »

Why not use the train and keep your bike with you ie. ride out to far east russia then put it on the train back with you or if you still wish even ride part of the way back.May take a little longer but less hassle with importation and customs.To do the transiberian is an adventure in itself.
Kurt September

Post by Kurt September »

Thanks Paul, I noticed that you're doing the Nordkapp. I did it last year on a 500. Great laugh! 5000 miles door to door in 10 days.
devonuk

Post by devonuk »

The World Cup is in Russia in 2018 if that makes a difference to your plans?
geordy paul

Post by geordy paul »

Kurt September wrote:Thanks Paul, I noticed that you're doing the Nordkapp. I did it last year on a 500. Great laugh! 5000 miles door to door in 10 days.
No worries Kurt, 10days, wow thats some going, went in the spring, took us 15 days 5,500miles door to door.
If your riding like that you'll be in Vldivostok in 3 weeks.
We had issues with visas but lots of people have no problems, they returned our applications 3 times for no apparent reason.
Lots of cheap trucker motels all the way across Russia, we also wild camped a bit.
Just be prepared for man eating mosquitos.
Kurt September

Post by Kurt September »

devonuk wrote:The World Cup is in Russia in 2018 if that makes a difference to your plans?
Don't do football, but thanks anyway.
skipper

Post by skipper »

whats good about world cup in 2018 is that Russia may relax or waive visa requirements.
david

Post by david »

Hi Kurt, I crossed Russia in 2015. Its great and Big :woohoo:

Little Rouge Explores on Facebook and Iv written some bits on ABR starting Little Rouge Explores.... Norway/Morocco/Stella. To be honest not been on here for ages. I thought ABR had folded.

davidsmap.jpg
davidsmap.jpg (47.31 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

Return to “TRAVEL”