USA Visa

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Acmeff

USA Visa

Post by Acmeff »

Hi Guys
I last went to the States in 2001 and things have changed a lot since then, I am told that as I have a criminal record from the 1970's that I now have to go to the embassy in London, have an interview before I am allowed a visa. Has anyone on here had to go through this or am I the only criminal that considering riding there bike over there . :)
AndyB

Re: USA Visa

Post by AndyB »

I wouldn't even tell them. Do you think they do a thorough background check on everyone who applies to visit their country?
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Does having Des O'Connors greatest hits constitute having a criminal record?
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Acmeff

Post by Acmeff »

Thats OK in theory but if I've gone to the expense of shipping my bike out for a three month trip and sorted all the other stuff and they find out at immigration, its a lot of a chance to take.
west coast ratter

Post by west coast ratter »

I'd tell them cos if you lie/dont tell them and they find out you could be banned permanently from entering the US or held to see what other things you couldve lied about ..
herman

Post by herman »

Not my business and I'm not asking but if it was drug related then you may well struggle to get a visa.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

If your record is for minor offences not involving " Moral Perpetude" and you didn't go to prison then you'll be fine.
stevedo

Post by stevedo »

I would definitely tell them. I'm sure they knew a lot more about us when we went for "interview" in London than we might have thought before going. If you mislead them you may exclude yourself from ever visiting. A friends daughter overstayed her work visa, she was doing charity work and overlooked getting her visa renewed when she needed to stay a bit longer and has never been allowed to return. It's been 15 years since the incident.

I'd go for a B2 visa, which we have, that lasts for 10 years and allows you to stay for up to 6 months in a single visit. Get that in advance of shipping the bike, arranging flights etc and you expose yourself to very little financial risk.
Steve
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

It depends on what the offence was, what the punishment was and how much publicity you got at the time.

I wouldn't bother telling them if I'd been done for 1/4 ounce of resin when I was 18 in the mid '70s (I wasn't) and more to the point, how would they find out?
JMoandpiglet

Post by JMoandpiglet »

fwiw. I totally agree with West Coast Ratter and Stevedo - you don't want to mess about with Homeland security, they will f**k you up - just because they can.

Stevedo also makes a good suggestion regarding the B2 visa - it is far more flexible (and you don't have to mess about with ESTA each time you go). If you want a B2 visa you'll have to go to the embassy anyway, so it's no big deal.

As you say, it's a hell of a risk if you decide not to mention it, ship your bike over, then you get turned back at immigration - and the long term implications can be even more severe.

Hope that helps...

Jx

Return to “TRAVEL”