Morocco April 2016

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Simon_100

Re: Morocco April 2016

Post by Simon_100 »

Redmurty wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:
Roy C. wrote:I,ve done quite a bit of Morocco backpacking and have done the Atlas mountains, the goal of this trip is to ride my moto to Essaouira to watch the sun set over the sea from the battlements of Essaouira. Simples B)
Mike54 wrote:whilst wearing a down jacket? ;)
Too true indeed - try heading further south and watch it from the Hotel Bellevue in Sidi Ifni - a surreal town! - we were there back in about '93 travelling by Renault 4 - by far the best car for Morocco then - as now???

Regs

Simon
Simon got your email and have replied and am very interested Mrs said it's do able and before her big birthday (thumbs)

what sort of riding you planning off road or a on road tour

cheers Spud ;)
Yup, been meaning to post here but we only decided to do it on Wednesday!

Basics - highly provisional at this stage!

Mostly a road trip but some trail sections - a lot depends on the company.

Given the season it'll be accommodation - the cheaper the better - but I'll take a minimal camping set ip for both Morocco and Spain: IMHO it's usually better to use accommodation in Maroc as it's so cheap, but wild camping on a beach somewhere ....

Leave the Pyrenees around lateFeb/early March and coming back to Spain just after Easter, i.e. first week of April - being out of Spain for Easter is an end in itself! :whistle:

Doing interesting things in Spain for a few days on the way down, e.g. the Gorafe and Tabernas deserts in Almeria. I don't want to ride down the coast but may call in on some towns/cities/people. Accommodation in Spain should be cheaper than all-year campings along the coast anyway.

Coming back I'll probably be making a bee-line for 'home' - after 4 weeks away from Mrs S I always do! (thumbs)

Given the season it'll be down the coast in Morocco and back over the mountain with luck. I don't want t set specific objectives - certainly not yet - but I'd like to get as far south as Sidi Ifni and maybe Tan-Tan if things go very well but I'm not sure that's either realistic nor desirable as we may just end up on the N-21 all the way.

I also have a visit to Fez on my wish-list for a bit of culture, but that may be for another trip.

What I really need to do is look through all the advice on-line here, HUBB, etc. and re-read the amazing guide book and maps that we used when we were there in the 'nineties

Otherwise I'm very open. I'd like to re-visit Tafraoute. I'd prefer to do less distance on secondary roads and to better places that just whore after the Iron-Butt stuff, hence my comment about Tan-Tan.

I would also like to enter/leave through Ceuta and Melilla for the main reason that these are parts of Spain, so I have a kind of 'mission' to have been here, but also to do the frontier crossing thing in peace as opposed to on a ferry terminal - but I'm not sure about how 'relaxing' this will be as there have been a lot of disturbances at these frontiers over the last 12 months.

I'd also prefer to ferry to-and-from Malaga. Mainly because I'd rather get stuck in hat beautiful city rather than he other ports, which in my experience are holes.

I'd also like to meet up with Moto Al, of course, so maybe lurking for is arrival at Malaga might kill two birds with one stone - let's face it, we'll have more choice of bars in Malaga!

Phew - and it's only Friday - less than 48 hors in to planning (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Mr Toad wrote:My 2 'peneth'

Mr 'Mad' Mehdi and his lovely wife Nazra
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Tim Cullis wrote:
Mr Toad wrote:My 2 'peneth'

Mr 'Mad' Mehdi and his lovely wife Nazra
Great place to stay :-)
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
moto al

Post by moto al »

Hi chaps has anyone used
image_2015-10-16.png
image_2015-10-16.png (311.35 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
this service?. I thought it was good value, also I can get my bike transported from glasow for £250 ..any comments or other suggestions.Al. (thumbs) ta
moto al
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

I came back T-Med to Barcelona...................26 hour on a tramp steamer :angry: i'd rather CARRY my bike through Spain than do that again !!!

Bottom line Al is there was nothing to do at all TV was Italian and everyone was throwing up ......massive storm ....i was OK , don't suffer on ships
moto al

Post by moto al »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:I came back T-Med to Barcelona...................26 hour on a tramp steamer :angry: i'd rather CARRY my bike through Spain than do that again !!!

Bottom line Al is there was nothing to do at all TV was Italian and everyone was throwing up ......massive storm ....i was OK , don't suffer on ships
thanks Phil, I just thought an overnight on that ferry sounded ok + I could get a cheap flight from Glasga .ps I was 47 hours on the ferry back from the hiss,due too shite weather. Ho Ho and nae bottle of rum.catch up soon.Al (thumbs)
moto al
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

47 fecking HRS ................i'd have KILLED SOMEONE :pinch:
Grimetime

Post by Grimetime »

I'll pm my details and when I'm nCk I can suggest some routes.. Accommodation is cheap as chips mate (thumbs)
Doug Haywood
moto al

Post by moto al »

My nephew Scott ,aged 30 is showing interest in going ,Scott has been in the area before . Now this is where things get a little MAD I'm in the process of buying back my old BMW geshpanne 1943 Africa korps . And taking the bike to North Africa ...as I said friggin mental. .Al (thumbs)
moto al
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

You don't want one of them Al .................get one of these

Return to “TRAVEL”