Morocco April 2016

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
moto al

Re: Morocco April 2016

Post by moto al »

What can I say., apart from a kick in the bollocks.i have just had my yearly MOT from my Gp, he,s a good guy. I mentioned about going to North Africa in March, on the bike. His words are you off your head.Alan, with your past medical history .1 you can't get insurance ,2 the medication you are on .3 and don't be a selfish bastard ,too your wife and son.... . Words escape ME. Al
moto al
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

That's not what anyone wants to hear.
But fuck him, just go, be sensible, take your medication.
Morocco is hardly the back of beyond.
Tourist-Biker

Post by Tourist-Biker »

Hi Al,

Sorry to hear that, I don’t know your medical history but what I will say is I’ve been to Morocco a few time (not an expert) and its great so think hard about missing a trip there well you can.

What I would say Is :
1.Talk it over with your family you never know they maybe really supportive.
2.Don’t go alone and make sure your riding buddies are aware of your medical history.
3.Have an exit plan if things start going down hill e.g. place to leave your bike if need to fly back (theres lots of safe places like bike tour bases, hotels etc) Its not easy to leave Morocco without your bike (because you have imported it on the grounds your be taking it back out with you) but it can be done I have heard of riders with broken bikes flying home for spares and return months later.
4. Think Mike 54 has a contact for a good doctor.

If you prepare for things going wrong then its easier if the shit hits the fan.

Good luck
Jon
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Hi Al, your medical man is bound to say stuff like that - as above, Morocco is hardly the end of the universe, at least in the north, and I bet you can get insurance if you try - although that would be essential IMHO!

Any chance of you joining me and Spud at the first leg in November as we discussed on the phone?

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

moto al wrote:What can I say., apart from a kick in the bollocks.i have just had my yearly MOT from my Gp, he,s a good guy. I mentioned about going to North Africa in March, on the bike. His words are you off your head.Alan, with your past medical history .1 you can't get insurance ,2 the medication you are on .3 and don't be a selfish bastard ,too your wife and son.... . Words escape ME. Al
tell him to FUCK OFF...... or would he rather have you lying in bed shitting yourself dying a worth less end.

I would of punched him in the epiglottis personally :evil:

go live your life you'll be dead soon enough and as the Great James Brown said "no matter how long your living your a long time dead"

Now you've been told by your Uncle Spud, did you not catch one of your complication in hospital ?

you want to go go and if it's your time then it will be, you could of been in a pub and had an helicopter drop on your head or been run over by a dustbin lorry FFS.

Trying to calm down on my Birthday "IN WITH LOVE, OUT WITH HATE" that's my mantra for the day

Al quite busy today but give me a call sometime (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Recently my wife and I flew down from Edinburgh to Southampton for a holiday. We'd wanted to go to Dubrovnik but were advised against it by her consultant. Whilst down on the south coast she had to visit A & E and they advised on not flying back. So the next day I drove 9 hours from the south coast to Edinburgh to pick our car up. Google reckon its 29 hours to get from Dubrovnik. We were glad we took the experts advice, and our plan B worked.

I hope you / anyone with you has a plan B if you're unfortunate to be taken ill in Morocco Moto Al.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I am fairly pragmatic about these things really, it depends on what the previous issue was. Morocco is not far from Europe, but it's important to understand and accept that it is not Europe. There are many areas there where qualified medical help can be many hours away. If a group situation, the guys in that group need to accept and agree to someone coming if there is a chance of a medical drama, and what the solution is or hat drug should be administered, when and how. It's basically a risk assessment situation.

What I would say also is that if the GP said "think of your family", that makes him a moron in my eyes.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

my plan "B" if he dies dump him in the Atlas keep his bike endex (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

What I would say also is that if the GP said "think of your family", that makes him a moron in my eyes.

That's the bit that annoyed me Mike (thumbs) emotional blackmail

cheers Spud ;)

ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Your GP is obviously going to advise caution and it does depend to some extent depend on what your medical issue is, especially if a relapse could be brought on by heat or physical exertion.

On the other hand, if you have fully recovered or your condition is 100% stable with medication then I would say that it's your decision although your travel companions must be fully up to speed on possible issues and you must have repatriation insurance which you will be able to get although it may be costly.

Return to “TRAVEL”