Stelvio pass

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
vRSG60

Stelvio pass

Post by vRSG60 »

Next summer's jaunt is in the planning I fancy doing the Stelvio Pass, so educate me. Best direction to ride it (thinking of from the North riding from Innsbruck).
Places to stay either side.

Route back from Bormio bimbling along through Liechenstein.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Emf#53

Re: Stelvio pass

Post by Emf#53 »

After riding Stelvio head to Bormio and take the SP29 towards Santa Caterina - its an equally lovely pass but no where near as crowded as Stelvio (thumbs)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I've recently done the Italian Dolomites tour with a tour company and there was an option to do the Stelvio. The consensus fromm those on the trip that had ridden it before was that it's best to ride it upwards. We decided against it due to congestion, slow progress, etc. We rode the Timmelsjoch pass and 4 others which were all superb (thumbs).
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Now that looks a plan. Just South of Innsbruck too.

Scott_rider wrote:I've recently done the Italian Dolomites tour with a tour company and there was an option to do the Stelvio. The consensus fromm those on the trip that had ridden it before was that it's best to ride it upwards. We decided against it due to congestion, slow progress, etc. We rode the Timmelsjoch pass and 4 others which were all superb (thumbs).
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
steve172

Post by steve172 »

I did it earlier this year, from North to South. We camped at a wee village just up the hill, just above the village of Trafoi, with the glacier behind us. Epic campsite, but be prepared to be awoken by blazing engines at 6am.

It's fun to ride, but very busy, lots of cyclists, lots of cars. I'd recommend the first street vendor at the top on the left for a bratwurst.

After the summit, take a right and head down Umbrailpass... absolutely stunning, and as said, much quieter.
steve172

Post by steve172 »

The year before, we were going to do it the other way, from Bormio, but there was a cycling event and so the Stelvio was closed. also, Bormio is a nice town and worth staying overnight, but a little pricey and there is a visitor tax too.

Instead we did the Passo Livignio which is also nice. Could be an alternative to Umbrail. Fro Livigno you can go right, and follow the road alongside the Lago d'Livigno and ride over the big dam, then through a 4km tunnel built into the mountain, it is traffic light controlled and one way at a time.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I made the mistake of riding the Stelvio many years ago on my Bimota SB6R. Terrible narrow steering lock and you can't look up easily - it was hell. You need a sports bike with wide bars ideally (Tuono or Street Triple would be perfect), or an 'adventure' bike I guess. When you get to the top you're faced with a sea of GSes.

The hairpins come thick and fast and the right-handers are properly tight. If going up you have to crane your neck round and upwards to look for vehicles coming down, drop the bike in to the corner and gas it out. Then repeat about 100 times... It's worth it for the view of the road below, but there are other passes that are more fun to ride.
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

Scott_rider wrote:I've recently done the Italian Dolomites tour with a tour company and there was an option to do the Stelvio. The consensus fromm those on the trip that had ridden it before was that it's best to ride it upwards. We decided against it due to congestion, slow progress, etc. We rode the Timmelsjoch pass and 4 others which were all superb (thumbs).
I agree with this. The Stelvio (my Avatar) is good to ride upwards but a bit of a novelty and congested in the summer - still fun though but I wouldn't race back there but after I did it.

On the same day I went on to ride the much faster Timmelsjoch and bloody loved it (thumbs) . Beware, the Timmels' closes at about 7.30pm even in summer months. I just about made it before they shut had the mountain almost to myself with the cloud base rolling in was quite nervy.

Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Yes, the Timmelsjoch pass is well worth a ride (thumbs) . This is taken from the lower side of it, the Italian side.

And this one is up near the top of it, you can just make out the road.

Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
chopper

Post by chopper »

Hi stevio best done north to South but it is busy . But the pass over mount gavia down to pezzo it is amazing and scary and it was quite . I think it was sp29 also north to South .enjoy

Return to “TRAVEL”