Coast of the UK

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
waynecoluk

Coast of the UK

Post by waynecoluk »

Anybody on this place ever done a ride around the UK coast?
It could be my next solo adventure. I've done LEJOG, rode around Scotland and in May rode around France on my todd so trying to think of my next solo adventure.
Was wondering how long it would take and the approx. mileage with decent places to see and stop.
I probably wouldn't to be able to get a pass any longer than 8 days or so.

Any info,advice,experience would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Wayne
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
sprintster

Re: Coast of the UK

Post by sprintster »

WP_20150208_13_59_57_Pro.jpg
WP_20150208_13_59_57_Pro.jpg (44.56 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
I have thought about it,I think it's about 3000 miles to ride round.I would have thought 8 days was quite a chore but if you've already done France you're probably more hard core than me! How far is it around France anyway? For overnight stops in the NE Scotland I would probably go for Stonehaven near Aberdeen or Findhorn near Elgin.If you have time pop in by Crovie near Banff,the village is so small it doesn't even have a street!There's a good book by Mike Carter "One man and his bike" about cycling around Britain that might give you some inspiration.
snaf

Post by snaf »

Has been done, check Mike Woolleys blog out. He did keep to the nearest road to the coast all the way which meant some very long rides around peninsulars in Scotland.
I can't recall the distance but it took thirty days.

http://coastrideruk.blogspot.co.uk/
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I think to hug the coast is about 5000 miles.Scotland is about 3000 miles itself. This is all just bollocks that finds it way into the back of my head so it could be a load of rubbish! :laugh:
Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

waynecoluk wrote:Anybody on this place ever done a ride around the UK coast?
It could be my next solo adventure. I've done LEJOG, rode around Scotland and in May rode around France on my todd so trying to think of my next solo adventure.
Was wondering how long it would take and the approx. mileage with decent places to see and stop.
I probably wouldn't to be able to get a pass any longer than 8 days or so.

Any info,advice,experience would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Wayne
This might help. http://www.fatblokeonamoped.com

Cheers
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
sven

Post by sven »

Clive/Muppet from the VFR Club did it 10 years ago

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/s ... ht=Charity
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

There are no rules about this sort of stuff. You say you have 8 days and want to see the seaside, you could chose a small section of the country and hug the coast for 8 days, or choose 7 points around the coast that you fancy visiting and set your sat nav to go. If you chose a small section, you can always do another bit the next time you get 8 days spare.

For me, I could quite happily spend 8 days in Northumberland, let alone the rest of the country, stunning part of the world.

I wouldn't bother with a tent either if you are packing up an moving everyday, join the YHA and take advantage of the facilities (drying, cooking, breakfasts etc...) http://www.yha.org.uk/places-to-stay/north-east

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Stuartw

Post by Stuartw »

I met a fella whilst I was visiting the Outer Hebrides on my M/Bike a few years ago. He lived in sunny Brixton, but cycling was his thing. His goal was to cycle around the entire coast of the UK. Obviously cycling would require long periods of time off which he couldn't achieve. So he had a large map, chose a section for this holiday, caught the train to the start and off he went. Few sets of cycling clothes, Bivi bag etc and that was him. Upon reaching his chosen finish point, then train it home. He reckons it would take him a number of years, had no particular order to do it in. But he loved it as a goal for his hols away from London.

Crashing out in his Bivi meant it cost him next to nothing.

Love the idea

Ps as Dave mentions YHA Hostels are great, except for school holiday time for obvious reasons. I think I have met and chatted to more people hosteling on the motorbike than any other place I have stayed. They are not as cheap as they used to be, but also lots of interesting independent hostels around to chose from.

Return to “TRAVEL”