trans america trail

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Schoe000

Re: trans america trail

Post by Schoe000 »

palmanova wrote:but i only have a max 6 week window so i will prep the bikes here and so allow more time to enjoy the trip at a leisurely pace.
Hi I did the full trans American trail last summer. I had 5 weeks to spend. The trail took about 18 riding days and that was travelling are a reasonable pace 10 till 6:00. Just a few thoughts about the trip, please feel free to ignore them everybody had different opinions.

You will need some side excursions if you are going to fill your time. I quickly realized that if I just rode the trail at a leasurly pace it was only going to take 3 weeks. I was on a DRZ400s and the other two guys I rode with was on a 650Bmw and a Dr 250. All agreed the Drz400s was the best suited bike for the trip.

I took 5 days out to visit the Grand canyon it's about 400 miles south and you travel through Indian reservations to get there. I also went to Bonneville speed week which is about 250 miles north of the trail, well worth going too (if you decide to do the speed week let me know, I met two Americans who have been going for 30 year, I am still in touch with them and I am sure they would be happy to show you around). Also I did Las Vegas.

The first 2500 miles are now tarmac or gravel roads (it's not really a trail) lots of people going about doing there normal business(sorry :( )I was not expecting that, it's not a trail in the way I think of a trail. Once you get to New Mexico it is more like what I would expected a trail to be.

Once I got to New Mexico I only meet one other rider in 3000 miles on the trail. I had split from the other guys when I went to the speed week so was travelling by myself. I had a 170 mile off road section and then another 220 mile off road section in Nevada. I wanted to have backup so i waited by the side of the trail at a place called Battle mountain. I waited for 3 days and still no one came along so had to bite the bullet and go alone. I had a brown trouser moment when I stalled the bike doing a river crossing unaided 35 miles from the nearest road, I thought at one point I was going to have to abandon the bike and walk out. So don't be fooled by the first 2500 miles it does get remote in places.

Moab dessert is awesome spend 4 or so days there, ride the White rim stunning. The last few days of both Sam's maps and GPS Kevens are not accurate and you will have to sort out your own route. The Oregon forest have frequent forest fires so the trails are constantly changing. Again I nearly ran out of petrol in the florist I have a 220 mile range and was down to 9 miles by the time I found my way out.

I bought my bike over there £2200, for a fully prepped DRZ off the ADV site, I decided to leave it there so i can go back. I would have spent £1800 to ship a bike plus the depreciation. Better for me to have a bike in america so i have a reason to go back :)

Have a great trip Nick
palmanova

Post by palmanova »

Cheers paul, I will have a word with her. Have a read of the reply from schoe000, great info and inspiration, you gonna need more than 3 weeks mate, to fully appreciate and enjoy, will keep you posted to wet your appetite, regards terry.
palmanova

Post by palmanova »

Hi Nick thanks for the great reply, sounds like you got a well prepped bike there, and I have heard that this is the ideal bike for this trip, I didnt want to risk buying a duff bike considering the prep and cost going into this venture.but maybe that could now be an option.we are planning a diversion to the grand canyon north rim from richfield for a few days, and generally just soak up everything in a very leisurely manner, ending with a run down the coast from port orford to LA via San fransisco.i have read on the adv site about the forest issues in oregon.My son is taking his bike test soon and we have decided on the honda crf250l, light and easy, I rode a drz400e in the peak district on a trail day and know what you are talking about, the crf is also available in the usa.Did you use sams rollcharts/maps or the gpsversion, aswell as gpskevin? We are intending to go with the flow so may take in whatever comes along as we go. I will make a decision nearer the time concerning buying here or there depending on pricing and preferences, your trip sounded awesome, everything I want this trip to be, appreciate the reply, all the best, regards terry
palmanova

Post by palmanova »

Cheers tony, have had a look at the gser site and also the link to bike rental in townend tennessee, its an option to consider, but does seem pricey, if you rented a dr650 for 30 days would be around £2200, plenty of info on that site, cheers for that , regards terry
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Usefull info on this thread from all, thats what its all about for me, unlike some recent comments on other threads which have been a little disappointing. Thanks All.
Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

I'd defo air freight it out there as sea freight is notorious for delays. Trip sounds great. Have you asked on the HUBB?

Cheers
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Cracking post that, Schoe. Seems pointless shipping. (thumbs)
Schoe000

Post by Schoe000 »

palmanova wrote:Did you use sams rollcharts/maps or the gpsversion, aswell as gpskevin? We are intending to go with the flow so may take in whatever comes along as we go.
We had both, GPS Kevin and Sam's maps. The routes were 95% or more the same. Sams routes had more details about petrol, motels, and emergency escape routes. In the evenings we would compare the routes and they were nearly always the same. While I have the upmost respect for Sams routes, I don't think the several hundred pounds they cost that it's worth it. The guy with the roll maps found them difficult to use, he kept getting lost, and thought it was dangerous looking down rather than watching the trial. He had a manual roll chart holder. He soon gave up and used just the GPS .

THe Adv site is excellent lots of advice and plenty of people prepared to help . Here is a link to Bretts ride report . One of the guys I rode with . http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 645&page=5

Cheers Nick
palmanova

Post by palmanova »

Thanks nick, just read some of bretts ride report, simply awesome riding out there, saved to favourites so will read it all later.looked at buying a bike via the adv site and found some decent bikes out there, so may now consider this option of buying in the usa and probably sell on completion.i have yet to try the hubb for info, its on my to do list.May go with gps and sams maps. Cheers for the info, regards, terry.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

If you do take your own bike you will need to sort out EPA approval.

EPA is the Environmental Protection Agengy (?) who control vehicle imports, both permenant and temporary.

Here is a link for info. Section 2.5 on page 10 applies to temporary imports of up to a year.

EPA import authority

EPA Form

You will need this authority before you ship your bike.

Return to “TRAVEL”