Iberia N-S by trail(Spain/Portugal)

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
bikenav

Iberia N-S by trail(Spain/Portugal)

Post by bikenav »

Putting the bones together for a trail ride from Santander/Bilbao to the Algarve around 1000mls and 7-8 days I guess. Done a little trail riding in Cantabria,Rioja and Aragon and a fair bit of tarmac in Spain but Portugal will be mostly new ground.
Any advice from anybody with recent experience of the region will be gratefully received, especially anyone who has tried this route before.
If anybody else is planning a similar trip this year and there is room for another I would be happy to join a small group with a similar agenda on my 640A, or if anyone would like to join me I would also consider that.
Thanks Paul
IMAG0372.jpg
IMAG0372.jpg (49 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Simon_100

Re: Iberia N-S by trail

Post by Simon_100 »

When are you going, roughly?

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

The Spanish Biker wrote:When are you going, roughly?

Simon
Simon

His name is Paul not roughly! Don't be so rude

Sorry could resist (Airplane moment - "I am serious and don't call me shirley!"- the brain cells are all mashed up)

Paul

Good contacts would be Tramp, Minkyhead and Gabe from XRV
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Thanks Paul S, for the contacts names I'm sure they will post if they have any info. AS For Roughly- Simon and I have met, as he has witnessed how I treat my leaky bike and Multi-coloured ankle in Spain he may have a point, a great guy to have around in times of need I might add.

Simon good to hear from you hope all's well with you and Polly both, send my regards.
N-S for me ideal would be a 2week period between 16.05.15 to 6.06.15 (weekend to weekend) or somewhere in September whitch I know is no use to you, option 1 first choice leaving September for a tarmac jaunt to Corsica/Sardinia/Italy? and possibly a stop-off at the HISS with you on route.
Paul.
IMAG0401.jpg
IMAG0401.jpg (80.81 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Remember this team-a great bunch.
IMAG0401.jpg
Attachments
IMAG0401.jpg
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Paul-S wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:When are you going, roughly?

Simon
Simon

His name is Paul not roughly! Don't be so rude

Sorry could resist (Airplane moment - "I am serious and don't call me shirley!"- the brain cells are all mashed up)

Paul
OMG - Surely Shirley you didn't mean to open that particular Cannes of Worms?

You've been and gone and opened up vaults in my mind's past that should remain locked; what you have here is a subordinate clause - or claws if you like :whistle: - as defined by the comma*.

Otherwise, i.e. without the comma, it would have meant going roughly as opposed to, say, going smoothly . . . something our Paul rarely does, as distinct from does rarely - think about it (thumbs)

But 'Roughly' - note the capital letter - or 'Going Roughly', seems to me like a great Avatar name - maybe I should set myself up with it a become a grammar troll here and elsewhere :evil:

Regs

Simon
* not a Commer - you wouldn't want one of those now, would you?
Screenshot2015-04-09at8.08.50AM.png
Screenshot2015-04-09at8.08.50AM.png (728.15 KiB) Viewed 410 times
PS I'm glad I don't earn my living with all this grammar guff these days (thumbs)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

bikenav wrote:Thanks Paul S, for the contacts names I'm sure they will post if they have any info. AS For Roughly- Simon and I have met, as he has witnessed how I treat my leaky bike and Multi-coloured ankle in Spain he may have a point, a great guy to have around in times of need I might add.

Simon good to hear from you hope all's well with you and Polly both, send my regards.
N-S for me ideal would be a 2week period between 16.05.15 to 6.06.15 (weekend to weekend) or somewhere in September whitch I know is no use to you, option 1 first choice leaving September for a tarmac jaunt to Corsica/Sardinia/Italy? and possibly a stop-off at the HISS with you on route.
Paul./quote]

Hi Paul, great to know you're still in action (thumbs)

The May dates might be cool as Polly and I are planning to hang around the Teruel area for the week following the HISS - no definite plans but I should be on tow wheels - as opposed to being off them as in the past :whistle: so some sort of meet might be on.

You're more than welcome to drop in to the September HISS - if you're not planning to rode the trails with the other guys and gals then there's no registration of pack drill, it's a public camp site after all.
bikenav wrote:Remember this team-a great bunch.
IMAG0401.jpg
Yes, Jeff and the Jets! Happy days , or do I mean daze? :whistle:

Regs

Simon

PS - what happened with your master brake cylinder in the end, did you make it as far as KTM Zaragoza?

bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Simon
The more I look into this, and look at my photos of the journey to and from the 2013 HISS, to try N-S in may I would be more comfortable in a small group, due to the potential difficulties of undertaking the water crossings. Going at the end of summer would educe the potential problems I would imagine, although I would prefer to ride in the spring as all my past exploits have been in a dry sunbaked landscape an early summer ride would be welcome change. Any thoughts on that from the local man or others ?

IMAG0446.jpg
IMAG0446.jpg (61.85 KiB) Viewed 410 times
IMAG0481.jpg
IMAG0481.jpg (80.19 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Above pics From that HISS return journey, the clutch pressure kept up for about 30mls then it was gone, lucky the journey to Zaragoza was straight forward till the city centre, then a few suicide runs through junctions and red lights got me to the KTM dealer. They were very good appeared to drop everything to do my bike, whilst I fell asleep on the showroom floor. Did some nice trails back to ferry after that including the military desert all good in the end. P.S Bumped into the "foot doctor" and his lovely wife in Romania last year rode with them for a few days to the Bulgaria Rally, great company, did I see your name on that list at one point?
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

bikenav wrote:Simon
The more I look into this, and look at my photos of the journey to and from the 2013 HISS, to try N-S in may I would be more comfortable in a small group, due to the potential difficulties of undertaking the water crossings. Going at the end of summer would educe the potential problems I would imagine, although I would prefer to ride in the spring as all my past exploits have been in a dry sunbaked landscape an early summer ride would be welcome change. Any thoughts on that from the local man or others ?
Hi Paul,

Weather-wise it's pretty much of a muchness. The only predictable issue is the thaw in the Pyrenees, which begins in May and if it's a big one all of the small rivers are unfordable for days on end. Otherwise rivers will flood anywhere after severe rainfall incidents, which can happen anytime and anywhere - all those big 'dry' riverbeds are caused by flash floods like in Morocco. If anything these phenomena are more likely in summer, including early September.

More importantly for your planning, perhaps, will be restrictions on riding trails in summer. This is especially important in Castilla-la-Mancha, which is totally in your path unless you head well east of Madrid. There all vehicles are banned from trails from the beginning of June until the end of September - and these rule are rigorously enforced! - so your plan for May should be OK.
IMAG0446.jpg
IMAG0481.jpg
Above pics From that HISS return journey, the clutch pressure kept up for about 30mls then it was gone, lucky the journey to Zaragoza was straight forward till the city centre, then a few suicide runs through junctions and red lights got me to the KTM dealer. They were very good appeared to drop everything to do my bike, whilst I fell asleep on the showroom floor. Did some nice trails back to ferry after that including the military desert all good in the end.
Good, I'm glad all those phone calls paid off! (thumbs)

By 'The Military Desert', do you mean the Bardena Blanca?
P.S Bumped into the "foot doctor" and his lovely wife in Romania last year rode with them for a few days to the Bulgaria Rally, great company, did I see your name on that list at one point?
Lucky you! I was indeed hoping to go to the Bulgaria meet and meet with Dermott and Amanda once again - some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet (thumbs) - but sadly I had to scratch the trip as a) I got too ambitious and planned too much, riding over the Bosphorus and on into Asia Minor b) the Bulgaria timing was too close to the Catalonia HISS and c) as well as the shock of Lucky dying suddenly (and mercifully although it didn't feel like it at the time) we had a lot of personal stress last year (all fine now) and it would have been very unfair to leave Polly running our holiday cottage alone all summer. So I think the 'Big Trip' is going to have to wait until I/we 'retire' from that side of our lives after 2019!

On a brighter note, we've decided not to get any more dogs until after we retire - not fair on them really - and although that's hard at least it means we can travel more easily, including running up and down the Pyrenees and out int the 'desert' for short breaks on our two bikes, exploring more HISS locations of course (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

Return to “TRAVEL”