POST OFFICE TRAVEL INSURANCE - WARNING

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
davsato

Re: POST OFFICE TRAVEL INSURANCE - WARNING

Post by davsato »

UPDATE;
the Post Office (as ive said my Mrs is an employee) has only just updated their travel insurance policy AGAIN, lost too much money perhaps?
anyway, on page 35 of the policy document small print it does specifically mention motorcycles;
"Riding Motorcycles (up to 1500cc only) for which
You have a valid, full UK motorcycle licence, wear
a helmet and on recognised roads only. There is
No Cover for Quad biking, racing, motor rallies,
competitions, time trials, endurance events or any
sort of riding off road."

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/jcr:fc1 ... r-2015.pdf

so now they do again.
Dave
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

i think with most things if you but cheap, you get cheap apart from moto als bargain features

steve
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Bernard Smith wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:
bigfoot wrote:Medical expenses post accident will only cover basic emergency fees for items such as broken bones
That is included in your E106/E111 cover anyway!

Simon
But wherever you are in Europe, the 106 will only give you the same basic cover as a local - so probably not free, which is where people get muddled with the 106 and the NHS - so you may still have to lump up your fist full of sheckles............ (thumbs)
Good point Bernard - it all depends on where you go. FYO - in Spain treatment as such is free but unless you're actually in hospital you pay a percentage for medication - not a flat fee like in the UK - and you have to buy or hire crutches, wheelchairs, etc.*

Refs

Simon
* actually as I live here they lent me a wheelchair!
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
pegasso650

Post by pegasso650 »

I seem to remember the reason I didn't change my Nationwide account to the one described earlier was because they don't cover bikes for breakdown I don't know about bike related injuries
Sgt Bilco

Post by Sgt Bilco »

In my experience, you MUST have repatriation and medivac if you are leaving these shores as if the worst happens, the hassle for your family is horrendous. This situation happened to a good mate of mine and it was very very difficult and expensive to get it sorted.

If your hasn't got it, it's not worth a light in my opinion.

I use http://overlandmag.com/insurance/ as it covers everything I need on my trips especially over in the US.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Ok I'm confused - I've looked at the wording and it does say MC up to 1500cc

But at the top of the section it does say no claim can be made for personal accident or personal liability?

So the what that reads says you can ride a bike but if you have an accident you can't claim?

Am I reading that right - and if I am, what exactly does it cover?
john-g

Post by john-g »

Thanks for the info re post accident care and cover. I used the Post Office for the first time this June due to medical history problems that they covered. However there is another clause in that their maximum bike capacity is 1400cc. Covers most I know, but only just got my Kawasaki GTR1400 under the limit, being 1352cc.

Just seen the Post above that suggests 1500cc, but the Agent I spoke to definitely told me 1400cc as I queried why such an odd limit.
V2orV4

Post by V2orV4 »

bigfoot wrote:Ok I'm confused - I've looked at the wording and it does say MC up to 1500cc

But at the top of the section it does say no claim can be made for personal accident or personal liability?

So the what that reads says you can ride a bike but if you have an accident you can't claim?

Am I reading that right - and if I am, what exactly does it cover?
Bigfoot, yep that is confusing can sound contradictory.

The way it was explained to me is that personal accident covers stuff like claims for loss of eyesight, loss of limbs payouts etc which would not be covered if the policy states specific exclusions such as motorcycling or other activities.

Personal liability? that should be covered under your motor insurance.

Just be clear that you get proper cover for medical care, repatriation etc etc whilst riding a motorcycle of the relevant size. If Riding off road, cover needs clarifying also.

Hope that helps, I know I've only outlined my basic understanding. You really need to fully confirm. Ensure you get any clarification in WRITING from insurers, because advice from a call centre can be misleading or just totally wrong as I and others have found out!

Steve

Return to “TRAVEL”