Morocco trip

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
ROCKOZ

Morocco trip

Post by ROCKOZ »

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Morocco May/June this year for just over a fortnight.
I'm looking to ride down to West Sagara to get a taste of the desert. In amongst this I've heard stories of the enormous dried up lake bed on the east side South of Marakesh.Has anyone got any 'must see's, ride's, do's on such a trip?

All ideas welcome
Bonniebird

Re: Morocco trip

Post by Bonniebird »

Hi, here's a link to a write up and loads of pictures of a trip my husband and I did in October 2013...... So much to see in Morocco, Chris Scott's Morocco Overland book was great for route planning.
In the link you'll find the names of all the places we visted..........
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... armac.html
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

it think your dry lake is at 813 915 and 1244 on this vid it a days ride from zagora ish for exact location pm aliwakeskate alister is the sat nav guru i bet he knows the route gpx ect its quite remote out there ...also it will be very very hot in june there are auberges out there to take shelter in but a bit of planning is agood idea enjoy it
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

June could be really hot, even May could be hot. Ideally don't wear black clothing! If it gets really hot douse all your clothing in cold water to get a refrigerator effect. Take a buff to cover your lower face and nose. Use sun screen on your lips. Hydration backpack for water whilst you ride, start the day by chug-a-lugging at least half a litre of water.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
WillS

Post by WillS »

Morocco is a great place for a mini adventure with motor bikes.
Take Tim's advice he has been many times. We went for 3 weeks, giving 2 full weeks for traveling in Morocco.

You need to plan your journey / route as Morocco is a vast place, and traveling on the tarmac or piste is sometimes is difficult to estimate how long it will really take you.
We went end Oct 2014, and the temperatures were over 40c, so water is a priority, and the hydration camel back is a must, drinking hot water is not really refreshing, but a necessity for life. We also carried 3 or 4 of the 1,5 Ltr bottles to top up during the day, and sometimes the next day as we were camping.
We rode across Lake Iriki, it's a fantastic place, if you have the time to get there, but as Tim says, difficult riding to get in and out. The easy way is from Foum-Zguid, then ride back.
We rode from M'hamid to Foum-Zguid, but due to a delayed start it took us 2 days, we had to overnight, camping next to one of the Auberge on the lake, (N 29 55 618. W6 26 177) near the village Zaouia-Sidi-Abd-en-Nebi. Don't ask me to pronounce it!! From the Sacred Source, you have a route over stony tracks or a route over the dunes, take the stony tracks on the right. Coming from M'hamid you will have to cross a few km of very soft sand.
Enjoy Morocco, there are lots of places to see and enjoy, the riding is fantastic with everything you need. If you are not camping, then plan your routes well.
Make sure you have a map, and the GPS with the tracks and trails loaded, normally Open Street Maps are good, it's what we used.

Have a great time, it's well worth the trip and the people are great.
Will
Attachments
image_2015-03-12-2.jpg
image_2015-03-12-2.jpg (43.06 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
image_2015-03-12.jpg
image_2015-03-12.jpg (85.4 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
ROCKOZ

Post by ROCKOZ »

I'm very very undecided on what to do and how to do it!
I'm jubious of heat..above about 22 degrees I get frustrated and burnt and feel we should be doing this early April! (Maybe next year).
My other big concern is the people and the fact only me and my girlfriend would be going..What's security like? What are the Morocans like with white females?

The other end of the spectrum, Norway is our other idea.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Octobers good , people are great and the bikes get parked in the lobby (thumbs)
ROCKOZ

Post by ROCKOZ »

I can't do October :( thinking we can just about squeeze the last two weeks of May which is an average temperature of 24 according to the web.

I'd plan on camping mostly apart from a couple of the big towns we want to see. (Using campsites).
ROCKOZ

Post by ROCKOZ »

I can't do October :( thinking we can just about squeeze the last two weeks of May which is an average temperature of 24 according to the web.

I'd plan on camping mostly apart from a couple of the big towns we want to see. (Using campsites).
ROCKOZ

Post by ROCKOZ »

Return to “TRAVEL”