Hi viz jackets for drivers in France

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: Hi viz jackets for drivers in France

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

In the car it is necessary to have hi viz and I believe its hi viz for all the passengers. Pockets on the rear of the front seats are a good spot, also if you can reach through to the boot from the car [ski hole?] you can have them there as long as they can be got from inside the car. Crash last week near London a bus hit a car on the hard shoulder and seems two car occupants were killed. I have always subscribed to the view that you get out and go behind the barrier where it is much safer. You must have hi viz in France to do that. Driving on a motorway is a safe as you get. Sitting on a hard shoulder is about as dangerous as you get.

On the hard shoulder you should have a hi viz. Easiest way is to wear the darn thing if you are riding a bike. French police are generally very kind to bikers when they see them going about safely, they tend to leave you alone and will actually help you.

The spare bulbs debate was ended for me one day in Aldi when I spotted a very neat set in their own box that made a perfect fit beside the tool kit. But it wasn't £7, I think €2 in the left over section. One dark night headlight blew and it made things so much easier.

French are sticky about being able to replace a bulb, but with cars some are impossible. I saw that with a friend who goes to France regularly and was taking delivery of a new car and at the usual dealer demonstration asked about changing headlight bulbs. When the guy told him it had to go to a workshop due to the bumper and other bits having to come off he asked if the cars breakdown cover would cover that and replacement car if a bulb blew. No he was told. He had already run foul of this in France but had been able to change the bulb to avoid having his car towed. He gave the dealer the option of keeping the car or changing the headlights to xenons. He got his xenons.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
92kk k100lt 193214

In the car it is necessary to have hi viz and I believe its hi viz for all the passengers. Pockets on the rear of the front seats are a good spot, also if you can reach through to the boot from the car [ski hole?] you can have them there as long as they can be got from inside the car. Crash last week near London a bus hit a car on the hard shoulder and seems two car occupants were killed. I have always subscribed to the view that you get out and go behind the barrier where it is much safer. You must have hi viz in France to do that. Driving on a motorway is a safe as you get. Sitting on a hard shoulder is about as dangerous as you get.

On the hard shoulder you should have a hi viz. Easiest way is to wear the darn thing if you are riding a bike. French police are generally very kind to bikers when they see them going about safely, they tend to leave you alone and will actually help you.

The spare bulbs debate was ended for me one day in Aldi when I spotted a very neat set in their own box that made a perfect fit beside the tool kit. But it wasn't £7, I think €2 in the left over section. One dark night headlight blew and it made things so much easier.

French are sticky about being able to replace a bulb, but with cars some are impossible. I saw that with a friend who goes to France regularly and was taking delivery of a new car and at the usual dealer demonstration asked about changing headlight bulbs. When the guy told him it had to go to a workshop due to the bumper and other bits having to come off he asked if the cars breakdown cover would cover that and replacement car if a bulb blew. No he was told. He had already run foul of this in France but had been able to change the bulb to avoid having his car towed. He gave the dealer the option of keeping the car or changing the headlights to xenons. He got his xenons.
johnnyboxer

Hi viz jackets for drivers in France

Post by johnnyboxer »

-Ralph- wrote:My Tiger Sport has twin headlights, two bright running lights in the top of headlight enclosure, and an LED strip light installed into each "nostril" in the nose.

So I have six light units facing forwards for visibility and two capable of lighting the road ahead.
Why?

Totally unnecessary for daylight riding
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
skipper

Post by skipper »

strange how some of the most difficult cars to change bulbs on are manufactured in france.
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

johnnyboxer wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:My Tiger Sport has twin headlights, two bright running lights in the top of headlight enclosure, and an LED strip light installed into each "nostril" in the nose.

So I have six light units facing forwards for visibility and two capable of lighting the road ahead.
Why?

'Presence', coupled to an irrational belief that blinding all and any oncomers (particularly those in the so called, 'cages') will render the rider immune to all dangers, real or imaginary. The ancients had similar beliefs, emblazoning their shields with images and carrying the relics of saints.
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

I always carry spare bulbs, just makes sense bike, car or truck, mind you it's a bit of a pig to change the dip beam bulb on the Blackbird :huh:
92kk k100lt 193214

skipper wrote:strange how some of the most difficult cars to change bulbs on are manufactured in France.
Citroen is one where you must remove the bumper......but the French are protective of their industry.......
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Wapping wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:

Why?

'Presence', coupled to an irrational belief that blinding all and any oncomers (particularly those in the so called, 'cages') will render the rider immune to all dangers, real or imaginary. The ancients had similar beliefs, emblazoning their shields with images and carrying the relics of saints.
Well you'd better speak to Triumph about the first 4 lights because they are inside the headlamp unit and they are standard equipment on all Tiger Sport models.

The LED strips in the nostrils were fitted by a previous owner and they are just like the LED strips that you get under the headlights on an Audi as daytime running lights, they are not blinding at all.

Like all bikes built since the early 90's there is no headlight switch, so daytime or night time has no relevance.

People have told me they are pretty bright, but they must be within spec otherwise Triumph wouldn't have fitted them, and they certainly aren't blinding.

Still - some people like to make assumptions about something they haven't seen, and some people like to have a go at strangers on an internet forum because they've nothing better to do in life. Something I've noticed from a lot of your negative posts the past week Wapping. Do we have a new troll in the house I wonder?

Hey ho, I'll go back to my happy life and help my son with his technic lego.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

when going on a tour in Europe I usually take the obligatory stuff that we're unsure of taking. I always take the Hi Viz, the spare bulbs, the breathalyser and the first aid kit. My theory it saves on heavy fines and hassle from the gestapo. doesn't take up much room and cost is minimal :)
lmg

Post by lmg »

I've got a bike with twin headlights and twin front "fog/spot" lights. I ride with them on during the daytime. I prefer to give myself every chance of being noticed by the rest of the traffic, and that doesn't mean I become complacent with what they will do. On another bike I have which is being restored for upcoming larger trips, I am having an extra set of forward facing HID spots but that's for night time riding where I want a bigger light beam in front of me.

As always, your bike your choice and everyone else can go f*ck themselves :)

Back to the OP - as said in previous posts, it doesn't make sense not to take a hi-viz (they are a quid in those pound shops) and spare bulbs (who wouldn't?) although I completely agree about some of the modern cars being a complete bastard to get to the bulbs to replace them.

I don't really see the logic in the breathalyzers though - even though they don't currently apply to bikers as i understand it. Whats the point of them? If someones drunk, does anyone think they are going to seriously check themselves before driving? And as I understand it, your supposed to have 2 in the car because if stopped the French police can ask you to use one there and then and you will still have 1 in the car to drive on. However, if you 'think' you are drunk and you use 1 of them before setting off, you then only have 1 in the car if the plod stops you. Confused? I am.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Return to “TRAVEL”