Lake District Suggestions.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
ScottT

Re: Lake District Suggestions.

Post by ScottT »

While i can understand that some people are into walking, it seems such a waste to ride up to the Lake District park your bike then walk around when there are some great roads to ride.
tefflon

Post by tefflon »

Hi mate

Takoda is a great place to stay and the owners Paul& marie are great and if Paul is free he can take you on some fantastic roads you never new were there . There are pubs in the village a short walk and a Chinese take away have a brink in the pub walk over to the Chinese order your food go back to the pub and then pic up your food and take it back to the pub . The landlord will supply you with plates and knife& forks and have more beer .

So plus one for Kirkby stephen and Takoda camp site

Ta Steve
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

http://www.demesnefarmcampsite.co.uk/bunkhouse.php

this place is good,stayed here last year.facilities are great and pubs and food 2 minute walk.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Some years ago we stopped at Quiet Site close to Ullswater. Had its own bar with open fire; very cosy, very relaxing. Site was ok too, but a bit expensive. It's still there winning awards but don't know if the bar arrangement survives ;)
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

Nice site in Eskdale right at start of Hardknott and Wrynose Passes.Remote area with 2 pubs very short walk away. Also right next to Scaffell Pike.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

ScottT wrote:While i can understand that some people are into walking, it seems such a waste to ride up to the Lake District park your bike then walk around when there are some great roads to ride.
I'm in two minds whether to take the car and have a walking holiday,which I'll probably regret within about an hour of leaving my house,but it's just so much easier to lug everything about,or a biking holiday or just take my bike and make do faffing about with my walking gear.
I ride DOWN to the lake district! I live in the north of Scotland so I've probably been spoiled but the last time I took my bike down I didn't think that much of the roads.Too narrow,twisty,blind,busy...not the empty fast sweepers I'm used to! :)
kiejoe65

Post by kiejoe65 »

the bunkhouse @ whitehorse threlkeld, £10 a night for the bunk , bike parking and great food in the pub , 5 min ride into keswick, ;)
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Thanks for all the recommendations guys,but I'm starting to wonder myself why I'm going all the way to the lake district when there's still so much of the west coast of Scotland that I haven't been to.I'm now thinking of a few days on the Ardnamurchan penninsular.A couple of days on the hills,a ride around Mull...sounds good to me!
Takoda is certainly on my radar now if I'm ever down that way though! (thumbs)

Return to “TRAVEL”