jurassic park or is it coast

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
hornet

jurassic park or is it coast

Post by hornet »

This is a new biking destination on me and the last time i was in cornwall i was 6 and didnt have a bike licence and the last time I was in devon I was surfing read that as mainly falling and drowning then getting very drunk so from those that know perhaps you might shed some light on, where to go, things to see, roads to ride, places to stay.

Im trying to convince emma my other half that camping could infact be enjoyable not that id know ,ive only ever slept in a tent in the garden with my 10 year old daughter as an adventure:lol: . Normaly we just ride all day then crash at a b&b and go out for din dins but this could perhaps be worth trying. (ok ok I like the cost factor)

Anyway any advice on locations would be great

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Harty

Re: jurassic park or is it coast

Post by Harty »

There's only one place mate..................Beer in Devon mmmmmmmmmmm Beer!! Pretty little vallage with some pubs, cafe on the beach called 'Ducky's' that loves bikers as well

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie ... revid=6661

20 - 25 minutes away you got Dartmoor with some fantastic riding
.....eat my dirt!
mwrmoore

Post by mwrmoore »

Coming from Lyme Regis i'd be happy to talk through with you, Beer is an excellent choice - but if you want to make a trip of it start at Studland in Dorset and work west, there are two campsites near swanage as your first stop - Burnbake [http://www.btinternet.com/~burnbakecampsite/] or Tom's Field [http://www.tomsfieldcamping.co.uk/], toms field is within wlaking distance of the best pub in the Uk - the square and compass: see http://www.squareandcompasspub.co.uk/ but burnbake is the better campsite.

take the coast road via lulworth ranges stoppig at beach and cove for an ice cream and head bovington tank museum - most excleent and some good roads through the heaths.

next onto chesil beach [where they tested the bouncing bomb]and portland then along the B3157 to burton bradstock for lunch at the Hive cafe on the beach [excellent though a bit like a bus shelter] there is the big freshwater holiday park nearby and its close to bridport if you need a pint in the ropemakers or one of the other pubs

head along the coast to charmouth for some fossil hunting and a peak at teh highest point on the south coast [golden cap] and dive into Lyme regis for luch, overnight in beer at teh caravan site and post when you are there if we are abotu i'll come and say hi!

Like harty says from there its only a short hop to dartmoor [pub in princetown has a campsite] or exmoor on the north coast all highly recommended.

remember in the hols the roads are full of bloody caravans and speed restrictions!
Sopwith Camel

Post by Sopwith Camel »

Hi Mate, it is coast unless you venture into the wrong pub then....well your on your own!

Have a look at Lulworth Cove, Lulworth Castle, Durdle Door, West Bay, Sidmouth, Seaton, Tyneham village on the Purbecks, Kimmeridge Bay also Purbecks area, Swanage, Dorchester, Wareham, Corfe Castle, Studland and if poss the New Forest i hope that helps a little??? :laugh:

:)
hornet

Post by hornet »

This is reason I really like this site its actually full of people who

Have gone to lots of places
Are going to go places

And love to share there experience and lend a hand

Thank you all

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
herman

Post by herman »

Brownsea Island is quite pleasant for a ramble http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w- ... ea_island/ Bike night in Poole on a weds too.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Hi,
just come back today from a camping trip, Bude, Boscastle, Tintagel and Perranporth. Went up and down the A39. Started at Bridgewater, good road, if a little busy at times.Finished at the watering hole pub on Perranporth beach drinking Appple Rattler like it was going out of fashion.
stormfield

Post by stormfield »

I love Cornwall :)

this was at the YHA hostel in Tintagel
[video][/video]

and Sennen Beach
[video][/video]
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Sounds like there's plenty there for you in Devon and Dorset, but if you do cross the Tamar,ride into Plymouth, follow signs for Torpoint Ferry and then maybe check out this stretch of road from Rame Head to Tregantle Fort and then on to Looe, via Crafthole and Downderry.

Return to “TRAVEL”