Small Bike, Small Budget - 30 Days to Where?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: Small Bike, Small Budget - 30 Days to Where?

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Gavinskii wrote:Great thread this, loads of top advice, loving it!
You should. Having done the same thing in Ireland years back its still one of my great memories. Never a plan, just a decent map book, good [for the time] camping gear, a 125, wild camping. Cant be beaten if you keep it simple. Go to France and just ride to some areas you have researched a bit. Lots of photographs and just enjoy it.

I see coach loads of mostly well off Americans come over here and spend their 10 days on a coach every day doing a pre-planned route. No flexibility and no taking account of weather. We often see this and wonder do they know what they are missing. Then I meet a Dutch guy making his way on his own around the country on a 40 year old bike that he has owned from new. Never knows where he will be the following night, only rides each day as it comes. What if something happens. His answer was so simple. I fix it or get it fixed.

The fun in arranging your own trip and dealing with problems is more in your control as long as you are flexible. Once had a late ferry, no big deal, meant a hotel stopover with the kids but so what, another time almost missed one due to over sleeping and the kids were in a panic..'what will we do?'. 'We camp somewhere nice near the ferry port and get the next one in 2 days. On a bike trip with my son and my battery failed although signed off a few weeks earlier as ok. On the back of his bike in rural west of Ireland to find a battery for a BMW K100, tall order we thought. Half an hour later a lawnmower shop in the next town had one on the counter for us for €50. The sun came out that day and because of the delay we headed over to Achill in sunshine and a meal he has never forgotten. We changed our planned route easily because nothing had been booked ahead.

The more you over plan the more it goes amiss when something unexpected happens, better to be just prepared.

Rural France and rural Spain are so nice you wont want to come home. My experience in rural France was turn up at a place on a bike and very shortly another and another will appear and they will talk to you. It is so bike friendly.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

+1 for the "Camping Municipal" We just trundled on until we were feeling ready to stop, headed for the nearest town and followed the signs. Most of the sites we stayed at were great and some were spectacular. Most seemed to be next to a river; often in a park in the centre of town. If you arrive late and there's nobody there, you can usually get your bikes through the pedestrian access, pitch up and pay in the morning. I think we were paying around 7 euros a night each last year.
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Austin, he say go to Spain...

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]xnFVAnF7brY[/video][/center]

The more I read, the more I see about motorcycling in Spain the more I think it's the hidden dirt-biking jewel in Europe's crown and not just that place on the easy to Morocco.

Oh and Celia, you have a PM.
Happiness has 125cc ...
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Here's my plan for three months off work...

Wild camping, trails, camp cooking, as cheap as I can make it.

A road atlas marked up with 'interesting' things and most importantly ROADS!

As many countries as I can, no route exactly, be spontaneous. Just come home before the money runs out.

Heading off in May.

http://www.facebook.com/onemooseonemotorbike
I'm off on a 3 month solo trip of Europe. Can i pitch a tent in your garden? Or can you help me find interesting things to see?

Here's my page:

http://www.facebook.com/onemooseonemotorbike
Elle

Post by Elle »

Since the ferry to Spain and fuel could eat into your budget, have you considered taking a budget flight somewhere sunny then hiring a bike?
Unless you're riding off road, you won't need a trail bike & it may be unwise to ride off road solo if you're inexperienced and don't know the trails.

Most of the mediterranean islands will hire bikes, will be a nice temperature in April and there is plenty of beautiful places to see if you go beyond the touristy regions.

You could also get a £500 flight out to SE Asia then live on the other £500. Hiring a small cc bike will cost around £10-20 per day & hostels around £5-10 per day. Eat freshly cooking street food for pennies (thumbs). Just avoid the wet season in certain areas.
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

Thumper's marked up map is very similar to my suggestion. I really cannot recommend that you get a decent map of Europe too highly.

Still lacking inspiration on where you might go and roads to ride? Have a look at:

None of the individual routes will take you a month, so work on joining two or more up
V_King

Post by V_King »

£33 a day is more than enough to travel in a lot of places in Europe. Southern France, all the Spain, or east Europe, or towards Greece (skip Germany, Italy and other heavily industrialised areas). Just take your time, don't rush anywhere and do more sightseeing and you'll be surprised how little money you spend.
""
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Great thread.....and I'm another who'd suggest going through rural France into Spain/Portugal (excepting the Mediterranean resorts), in particular Iberia should be nicely warm in many parts by late April/early May (check the weather record sites to see which areas are more appealing). As many have said, an unhurried and not-too-much planned itinery is a good way to go. Brings back happy memories of my own first biggish Euro tour, circumnavigating France on a Suzi 380....can almost smell that lovely whiff of burning 2-stroke oil.
optimisery

Post by optimisery »

Thanks again to everyone for the suggested routes and for all the practical advice

There is a fair bit to think about, but up to now I'm thinking Portsmouth To Caen - France, Spain, Portugal, Spain - then back through France possibly ending up in Belgium at a Rally at the end of April. This would mean setting off on or around the 1st April.

Sean: Thanks - But I think I am there & back before the boil is on? Though I am aiming to goto Takoda next month...

I'm up for recommendations for which map(s) to get though please (small pack size!) I'll also have a Sat Nav with European maps but I prefer not to use it unless necessary.

Alex: Pmed Back ty
Are we there yet?
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

optimisery wrote: I'll also have a Sat Nav with European maps but I prefer not to use it unless necessary.
A route of discovery can be yours if you pick a destination town for that day and set you twatnav to "avoid highways". If you want to get on some really little roads set "most direct route".

One time down through France we knew that our crossing point into Spain would be near Andorra so just headed generally South with the odd bit of South East(ish) and didn't bother too much about where we ended up.

Return to “TRAVEL”